MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay:

I know the pattern on Vancouver's appears to be the same as Seattle's (and Yokohama's for that matter), but I really dig the navy and white. Off jump it's already frustrating (Adidas using the same pattern in the same league for multiple clubs is just peak 'clubs should sign their own kit deals' reaction). For what it is, though, I think it's perfectly fine by itself.

spacer.png

Sources close to the Crew’s front office have told The Dispatch that the team is thinking seriously about changing its name, colors and logo by the time its new stadium opens in the summer of 2021.

...why.

https://www.dispatch.com/sports/20200129/michael-arace--columbus-crew-considers-changing-name-colors-as-part-of-rebranding

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:

53 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, talk about tone deaf.  Supporters will just drag out all that #SaveTheCrew.

53 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, talk about tone deaf.  Supporters will just drag out all that #SaveTheCrew.

As much as I like the original over the current Crew logo, they need to just roll with what they have instead of creating a new logo or identity JUST because they're opening a new stadium. The only change I'd be happy with, not one that is needed, is to simply drop SC and go back to Columbus Crew. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Digby said:

These new MLS owners are going to learn that soccer fan goodwill doesn't last forever.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Whole bunch of leaks here:

Right off the bat, the ones I really like include Minnesota (though I wish the wing was more like the original version), New England (especially since it’ll be paired with red shorts), NYCFC (love that pattern), LAFC (if nothing else I’m thrilled that the YouTubeTV logo is gold), Orlando, and SKC (though I wish it had light blue accents instead of silver). And selfishly as a Timbers fan I LOVE their new secondary as well. I wish the crest was full-color, but otherwise I love the gold Adidas stripes paired with a green collar and cuffs, and I think the pinstripes and detailing inside the faint hoops is fantastic. Once again the Timbers will have one of the best sets in the league, as will NYCFC and Atlanta as well.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Hmmm... that's a lot to take in. On the whole I'd say I'm pretty disappointed, though not surprised, to see so little callbacks to 1996 for the original teams (had high hopes for New England in this regard and they didn't quite get there), and the brushstroke aesthetic is way overused when you see it across an entire league. Apart from the obviously unique shape for Minnesota, a lot of these feels like they were stitched together in Adidas's online teamwear uniform designer.

I'm psyched on that Portland shirt though. I've always thought that topo maps would make for nice sublimated pattern. Think I even created a concept to this effect (but for Seattle) once a great many moons ago.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

This template is just tough, I think — the kits I like most are the simplest ones, which is never a good sign to me. There's a few kits (Kansas City, Orlando and Portland, most notably) where I really like the design and idea, but feel the template just ruins it.

6fQjS3M.png

So, I know that jerseys aren't one piece, that they're a collection of different pieces of fabric sewn together. Yet still, most designs seem to do a pretty good job of making it look like all the pieces belong together.

This MLS template, however, fails miserably. There are several where the torso and shoulders seem like they belong to different sets. Even on that Timbers one: that top horizontal stripe, which just brushes the edge of the gold Adidas stripes on the shoulder, is incredibly awkward looking.  

And the sublimated patterns that stop at the seam is such a sloppy look. Houston's is a nightmare.

There are a few good looks in here in which these issues are less apparent -- mainly Dallas and D.C. But on the whole, these are pretty disappointing.  

3 minutes ago, TaylorMade said:

These remind me of the adidas rugby jerseys for Australian or South African leagues. Everyone with the same cut and a weak attempt at a random pattern. San Jose would have been improved if they did that staggered half cut from the 1996 team. Houston reminds me of the adidas jerseys that had mesh sides and a different colors underneath it, early 2000's. Columbus would be better with a plain background. Columbus will eventually have a sponsor to break up that pattern though. Adidas put stripe patterns on their Euro 2020 kits but couldn't be bothered to do that here. MLS and adidas are playing off that these are in honor of the creation of MLS in 1994, but they would have been better off to do something other than having Mitchell & Ness create throwback jerseys that won't be worn by the players. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The Jersey template is trash. They look like women's uniforms, which unfortunately are often weirdly composed, and they also look really dated.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Archived