MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

On 1/20/2020 at 12:45 PM, Brian in Boston said:

Sigh...

This represents such a missed opportunity on Inter Miami's part. They should have really owned pink in their primary kits. Pink jerseys, black shorts, black socks for evening matches and either a pink/white/white or pink/white/pink ensemble for day games. A white or black jersey could have been the centerpiece of their change kits. This... this just strikes me as "meh".

On 1/22/2020 at 12:32 PM, Brian in Boston said:

VsMNP6cl.png cuLKrsul.png

In pink, Inter Miami's team palette contains what is the most unique color in American major-pro sports. So, they reduce it to accent-striping.

What a complete and utter waste.   

I agree with both of you that it's disappointing how they relegated the most unique color to an accent.  The Marlins did the same thing with their blue - easily their most unique color, and a unique shade of blue - yet they just use it as an accent on their otherwise black/white look.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like SKC should have stuck with one shade of blue because the two don't really flow well in this template. It just looks like two different shirts sewn together. And the dot pattern already draws enough attention, so the rest of the shirt should serve as a clean backdrop.

It’s amazing how boring these all are. Too much reliance on sublimated patterns and gimmicky adidas forced three stripes. I haven’t bought a Revs jersey since they got a sponsor because almost every home kit has been a snooze fest and I see it continues to either be ugly as sin or just bland. 

I’m waiting for Adidas to come out with the argument that they don’t go unique with designs and templates because jersey sales are so low, but it’s likely because of the bland product they have continued to churn out year after year. This is almost as bad as when almost every team was just white, gray, and black

This template is terrible. There’s not a single kit that wouldn’t be improved if Adidas just used their traditional striping. 

At least LAFC’s kit striping is black on black, so it somewhat hides the hideousness. 

I can’t wait until the MLS eventually allows individual teams to pick their own manufacturer for their kits.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

55 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I can’t wait until the MLS eventually allows individual teams to pick their own manufacturer for their kits.

That’s not going to happen.  There’s a very good reason why every major American sports league bundles its uniform manufacturing contracts into one league-wide deal.  

Okay.

So I don't think they are bad. I think MIA's home is bad, and Dallas' home kit is just such a massive downgrade from their last strip. Was so clean.

Toronto's new one is :censored:ing sick. I love it.

Portland's is also dope, loathe am I to admit it.

MIA's away kit isn't bad. Minny's home kit is tight.

I think I really just hate the way the sleeves are sewn into the torso of the kit. And the collar.

I just don't think it looks good in that way. Portland, Seattle, and Toronto leverage it well though. It's bothersome when it looks like two different tones of somewhat the same color. So when the pattern is subtle enough to blend and the sleeve colors appear to be the same shade, it's nice.

I was really hoping LAFC was going to do hoops or stripes in gold on black. So that's massively disappointing, even though I think it'll probably grow on me.

spacer.png

7 hours ago, radchad said:

Flag of San Jose, CaliforniaImage

I get that the template is limiting and they weren't allowed to use the shoulder space for the yellow stripe but why didn't they just move the stripes 2 inches down the torso?

Yeah this league wide karate collar is not doing it for me. Not super disappointed bc i already had low expectations, but these are largely just...bad. 

Cincy debuted their new secondaries in yesterday’s preseason friendly:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The shorts they wore are just stock Condivo 20 shorts and are not the ones that actually go with the kit. They did wear the proper socks, though, which is the first time we’ve seen what those look like. Chances are the real shorts will be white with blue Adidas stripes, but it’d be nice to see a blue shorts option as well.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Ofoball with more shots of the jerseys that leaked yesterday in this thread, including some shots of the jerseys on models:

Interestingly, it looks like there’ll be a long sleeve replica option for retail, at least for select clubs:

spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

It’s possible that these will be available for all clubs, but I think these are the only ones shown in the thread.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

14 hours ago, Corvus said:

Also, MLS is a single-entity league. 

True, but that's not the issue here.  Even the NFL, which has argued in court that its teams are all legally-distinct entities, has bundled the uniform contract for a couple decades now.  It's just more advantageous for the league as a whole than letting individual clubs negotiate their own contracts.

54 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Cincy debuted their new secondaries in yesterday’s preseason friendly:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The shorts they wore are just stock Condivo 20 shorts and are not the ones that actually go with the kit. They did wear the proper socks, though, which is the first time we’ve seen what those look like. Chances are the real shorts will be white with blue Adidas stripes, but it’d be nice to see a blue shorts option as well.

Those shorts look awful.

I think it's a bad idea to match shorts to shirt when one has a sublimated pattern and the other doesn't.  They'll never look like they match.  Blue shorts could save that, but white will never look good even if they matched the stripes.

Yikes.

That RSL is kit is really bottom of the barrel.

Zero effort. Zero thought. I hope Adidas makes zero dollars. 

The only thing that's even passably interesting about it is the use of the state road sign for the foundation year. But it's stapled on to...THAT template.

89c0529d69726e8642cf4e4778f17c2a.jpg

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

12 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

Toronto's new one is :censored:ing sick. I love it.

Really?

It's just a generic pattern. 

I also hate TFC using white. It should always be the grey for the clash in my opinion. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

18 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

True, but that's not the issue here.  Even the NFL, which has argued in court that its teams are all legally-distinct entities, has bundled the uniform contract for a couple decades now.  It's just more advantageous for the league as a whole than letting individual clubs negotiate their own contracts.

That is 31/32ths true. I used to work for the Redskins and its pretty well known with teams that Dallas is allowed to opt out of any of this if they choose. Jones paid some lucrative fee to the league have more control over Cowboys everything. 

31 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Ofoball with more shots of the jerseys that leaked yesterday in this thread, including some shots of the jerseys on models:

Interestingly, it looks like there’ll be a long sleeve replica option for retail, at least for select clubs:

spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

It’s possible that these will be available for all clubs, but I think these are the only ones shown in the thread.

As someone who is a fan of long sleeved kits, this is a welcomed development. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

1 hour ago, kmccarthy27 said:

That is 31/32ths true. I used to work for the Redskins and its pretty well known with teams that Dallas is allowed to opt out of any of this if they choose. Jones paid some lucrative fee to the league have more control over Cowboys everything. 

True, but as you note the league is forcing them to pay for opting out of even that small measure of league-wide mandate.  And the Cowboys still don't control their own uniform contract, perhaps because the fee would be prohibitive.

I think the larger point remains.  Leagues want to bundle uniform contracts because it's more advantageous to the league.

11 hours ago, dannykraft said:

I'm just disappointed now, I feel like from 2013-16 the mls had a perfect look, lots of individual color schemes and every team and a unique look. A lot of these uniforms are so bland now. 

adidas seems to mail it in on MLS uniforms when it's a World Cup or Euros year. It just gets worse as it drags on.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived