MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Looks like it is Navy blue with red trim, and red diagonal pinstripes. 

It’s essentially a navy and red version of the current Wolves away shirt:

spacer.png
It’ll also have a red collar based on that teaser video. Just like this Wolves away shirt the new Fire shirt is a miTeam design, likely due to the Fire not submitting their new crest, colors, etc. into the league and/or Adidas in time to get fully custom kits this year.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Yeah, I could build that kit on miteam, but the thing is that, imo, the pin-stripes are the same thickness as the red on CHI's badge, and I think it works. Also, great that they don't have the stupid collar/shoulder design. 

I think were it not for the shoulder-stripes / collar motif, a lot more of these kits would be pretty good honestly. At least by MLS standards.

and, for argument's sake, as I've seen it posted before, the A-League in Australia is single-entity, and all of their clubs have individual kit deals. In fact, this past year, I think all of their kits were pretty great, especially Western Sydney, Sydney, Western United, and Melbourne City. So I get the argument about it being financially lucrative for a whole-league deal, but when I see the A-League, none of their clubs' kits look the same. And they're not rueing lost revenue from merch. I don't know how much MLS is making off kit sales considering even the crap replica kits are $100 plus. How many people have the ability to reasonably chuck at minimum $120 on a kit? I know for me, LAFC haven't come with anything that motivated me that much considering they are my second-team. I'll buy a Liverpool kit in a heart-beat. So it's not as though they are making a whole lot of money off merch sales.

Now granted, A-League has 12 teams now, not 26 going on 30, but the argument still stands. Even of manufacturers made team-wear designs, if they were different manufacturers, they wouldn't look all that similar. I imagine LAFC with some clean-looking Nike kits and it makes me mad and happy all at once. Or hell, New Balance, Umbro, Macron now, Coq Sportif, they all have a habit of making pretty awesome kits. And there are small-ish American and Asian ones that if they got a peak MLS team it could be their highest profile client. When you restrict it to a single manufacturer, in a vacuum, you get years like this, where every kit looks VERY similar but not in a positive way. It *would* have been cool if the three stripes and collar were reserved for OG "founding" clubs, but for every team, it's not cool, it looks stupid.

spacer.png

I think even having a single kit contract can be fine! It was fine as recently as a few years ago; sure, they were still Adidas templates, but at least there was more than one template to choose from, and a minimum of recycled sublimated patterns that you can find on the MiTeam creator.

Hell, as recently as 2015 you had inspired designs that made sense for teams -- Chicago and Colorado both took inspiration from their local flags, the Revolution had that weird-but-cool red shirt based on the old New England battle flag, Vancouver had that nice mountain gradient thing, Portland used the chevron stripe from their badge...

Those were all Adidas! I don't know what's changed there or in the league. Now we've just got one template, patterns picked seemingly at random, and then fill in with team colors (maybe). The only ones in this bunch that feel like there's some team-specific effort being put in are San Jose with the city flag, Portland's nifty stripes and New England with the 1996 callback, and even those feel maybe coincidental.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

3 hours ago, Digby said:

I think even having a single kit contract can be fine! It was fine as recently as a few years ago; sure, they were still Adidas templates, but at least there was more than one template to choose from, and a minimum of recycled sublimated patterns that you can find on the MiTeam creator.

Hell, as recently as 2015 you had inspired designs that made sense for teams -- Chicago and Colorado both took inspiration from their local flags, the Revolution had that weird-but-cool red shirt based on the old New England battle flag, Vancouver had that nice mountain gradient thing, Portland used the chevron stripe from their badge...

Those were all Adidas! I don't know what's changed there or in the league. Now we've just got one template, patterns picked seemingly at random, and then fill in with team colors (maybe). The only ones in this bunch that feel like there's some team-specific effort being put in are San Jose with the city flag, Portland's nifty stripes and New England with the 1996 callback, and even those feel maybe coincidental.

Oh, I've always loved Vancouver's kits. They've always been the cleanest, imo. Bell looks SO good on kits.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Digby said:

chicago-fire-2020-home-kit-2.jpg

This would make a fine Revolution shirt. Woof.

So a bad logo change AND they're getting rid of the stripe across the jersey that made them unique? BOO! (It's not a bad kit though, just doesn't fit with what the Fire should be)

It's nice that Adidas is trying to do something different with the three stripes. I just don't like the execution or the repetitiveness of it throughout the league. At least SKC is back in indigo. Seems like they've really embraced gray though, which I don't really care for.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

chicago-fire-2020-home-kit-2.jpg

This would make a fine Revolution shirt. Woof.

Ugh.  

Even setting aside my feelings for the new Fire logo, that's a really bad look.  A blue badge on a blue shirt with only a thin red line to separate them?  The badge just gets lost. 

Then again, bringing my feelings for the new Fire logo back into it, maybe that's not such a bad thing after all.

56 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Ugh.  

Even setting aside my feelings for the new Fire logo, that's a really bad look.  A blue badge on a blue shirt with only a thin red line to separate them?  The badge just gets lost. 

Then again, bringing my feelings for the new Fire logo back into it, maybe that's not such a bad thing after all.

It's a really nice, simple (inoffensive, perhaps?) jersey design with an incredibly terrible crest. Put a better logo on it — hell, put the previous Fire logo on it — and it would be fine. 

Archived