MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

Saw the SKC leak, and I honestly really dig that kit. It looks classy.

So best ones, imo, so far:

Atlanta, DC, LAFC's, Miami's away kit, Minny, Red Bulls, NYC, Portland, Seattle, Sporting, Toronto, and I don't dislike Vancouver's really. That's not that bad a hit rate by MLS standards, especially after last year I really only was down with 4 kits.

But man, off jump, I'm not big on the collar this year. It works for some teams, granted, but just overall, when the torso is a different color than the shoulders, it's kind of stupid looking.

spacer.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

The red shorts are an homage to their ‘96 home kit:

spacer.png

I think it’s likely that the Revs will have a navy shorts option for their new primaries as well, with the red shorts being the first choice. If DCU really do have red shorts for their primaries I’d expect them to have a black shorts option as well.

Gotcha. It makes sense then

2 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

Damn, Alexi Lalas is personally offended.

Oh, he's one of the few celebrities I know of on that list, as well as D'Andre Hopkins, Boston Scott, Jacob Tremblay, Colin Hanks and Ninja (sigh.....).  I have no clue who most of the others are.  

I'm definitely on the fence about the Minnesota one. I love the fact it's the wing kit, but I'm not sold on the template and might just pick up the striped one from last year.

FWIW, FC Dallas might be my favorite change just because I can’t stand that bib look on jerseys. Huge upgrade. I fall more on the positive side. Yes the template is bad, but Adidas is not the only company guilty of this (looking at you New Balance and Liverpool). I can live with most of these.

My negatives:

The shirt sponsor gets lost wit the Sounders, Nashville is giving me Lakers vibes as that blue looks very purple to me in the pic, and I understand why Cincy fans aren’t pleased.

I also dream about how much better LAFC would look if it was just YouTube. Adding TV makes the sponsor logo too long IMO. I know it’s a separate service, but it’s just enough to throw off the look for me.

8 minutes ago, BC985 said:

Chicago’s new logo is so bad, even MLS doesn’t want to be associated with it. 

They Fire did release a short reveal video:

WAIT, these kits lack the over the shoulder stripes. 

The Rapids unveiled their new primary kit with light blue shorts and socks rather than the burgundy shorts shown in the FIFA Mobile leak:

spacer.png
This definitely improves the look, though burgundy/light blue/burgundy would be the best combo with this kit. There will almost surely still be burgundy shorts and socks available as well.

The Whitecaps’ new secondary will also feature light blue shorts:

spacer.png

With the light blue shorts I actually think this is a pretty classy kit and one of the best of this year’s crop. The Whitecaps will have one of the best sets in the league this year.

Dallas’ new primary will be paired with blue shorts:

spacer.png

This kit isn’t my favorite, but I think the blue shorts elevate it a bit and do a nice job of completing the gradient. I’d call it an upgrade over their last primaries.

Montreal with a really perplexing decision to go with white shorts with their new grey secondary kit:

spacer.png

With black shorts this could’ve been a pretty solid kit, but with white shorts the grey shirt and socks just look dingy.

Couple good looks at the full Timbers secondary:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Gotta say, I’m a bit disappointed that the socks are just plain white with green Adidas stripes. I was hoping they’d have green cuffs and gold Adidas stripes to better tie in to the shirt. Aside from that, this is a VERY solid look IMO. Definitely one of the best of this year’s crop, and the Timbers will once again have one of the very best sets in the league. I suspect there will once again be a green shorts option as well, which would make this kit look even better.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 minutes ago, Digby said:

Color balance on that Portland kit is all off. Why are only the shoulder stripes gold, with nothing else (not even the badge???)

Yeah, that’s my main gripe. Should’ve at least kept the gold in the badge, but I personally would’ve made the stripes on the socks gold as well (preferably with green cuffs on the socks). Slightly annoying, but I still think it’s pretty solid overall and in the top 5 or so of the new kits.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 minutes ago, Digby said:

Also the Chicago thing is weird. Is it possible the rebrand came so late that they had to toss whatever regular kit was originally planned (with shoulder stripes) for them, thus that retread teamwear kit they got instead?

Yup, that’s probably exactly what happened. Adidas likely already had a kit designed for them with the old badge and branding, and had to scrap it in favor of this miTeam kit due to the Fire not submitting their new crest in time for Adidas to do a fully custom kit.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Yup, that’s probably exactly what happened. Adidas likely already had a kit designed for them with the old badge and branding, and had to scrap it in favor of this miTeam kit due to the Fire not submitting their new crest in time for Adidas to do a fully custom kit.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I would expect that a global brand like Adidas would be able to accommodate a rebranding without a lot of notice. 

Archived