MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

9 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

So I wonder who’ll get 3rds? My guess would be LAFC, LA Galaxy, Seattle & probably NYCFC. It’ll be interesting to see who officially gets them.

probably Atlanta too, since they likely sell well (i don't have the figures).

will be interesting to see how creative they get with the 3rd kits. hopefully not just some off-brand recolors of existing templates.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Digby said:

Yikes. Why not just keep last year's but swap out the badges on this year's batch? Still fits the color scheme and maybe the connection to the team's past would save them a little bit of blowback.

Yeah, that would’ve been so much better. I posted this mockup of how that’d look a while back:

spacer.png

I get that there wasn’t enough time for Adidas to design and produce fully custom kits for them this year, but I would’ve thought it would’ve been possible to produce updated versions of last year’s away kit with the new badge instead of just going with plain white teamwear kits. Then again, even if that actually was a possibility the Fire could’ve just rejected that idea with how terribly they’ve managed this whole rebranding effort.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

51 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

will be interesting to see how creative they get with the 3rd kits. hopefully not just some off-brand recolors of existing templates.

I definitely forgot about Atlanta 😅 Part of me believes it’ll be some templates and some customizable opinions, but I think it’ll be nice to see them back as an option.

First off, thank god third kits are coming back, I'm hoping that will mean some more local themed designs. If the next template Adidas rolls out doesn't look absolutely ridiculous, I may actually be really excited to buy a few.

Second, I'm actually fine with the Fire away kit just sucking completely. I hope that the new ownership takes this season to step back and look at all the great concepts that came out after their horrendous re-brand, and goes through with the re-re-brand that has been hinted at for next season and comes out with 2-3 solid kits and leaves everything about this season in the dumpster fire it came from.

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

I would think Portland would get one as well. Their sales are pretty high for being a smaller market, and of course there’s the connection with the Adidas U.S. headquarters being in Portland as well. Wouldn’t be surprised if SKC gets one too, and maybe even Miami (they’re one of the clubs selling a long-sleeve jersey option this year). 

I'm guessing it'll be Atlanta, LAFC, Galaxy, Miami, NYC, Red Bulls, Portland, Seattle, and SKC. As an SKC fan, I'm hoping for the return of argyle or a full-time Wizards throwback instead of just a one-night warm-up top.

8 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

No, they just haven't announced a sponsor yet, Columbus is in the same boat. 

I don't mean that. I mean that it look like finally the only differences between authentics and replicas are material, cut and a way of crest applied, but every pattern, every other details are excatly the same for both version. Just like in Europe.

4r2eer.png

5 hours ago, pepis21 said:

I don't mean that. I mean that it look like finally the only differences between authentics and replicas are material, cut and a way of crest applied, but every pattern, every other details are excatly the same for both version. Just like in Europe.

At least for the kits that all used the same template.  Is the Miami home shirt more or less the same between both?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 hours ago, Conrad. said:

They won't be selling well if they're charging $302 for a authentic with a number and nameplate like this year....

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

At least for the kits that all used the same template.  Is the Miami home shirt more or less the same between both?

Inter home isn't on sale yet, but I checked Nashville home and Cincinnati away and unfortunately they've got old treatment, which is wack. But adidas made small step forward anyway and I hope one day they finally go fully with European style of replicas.

4r2eer.png

19 hours ago, EricSpratt said:

I'm guessing it'll be Atlanta, LAFC, Galaxy, Miami, NYC, Red Bulls, Portland, Seattle, and SKC.

I wouldn't think it's going to be that many clubs. At least not initially. The story in The Athletic states, "MLS is poised to allow a third kit next year for a handful of its best-selling clubs". Nine franchises would represent more than a third of Major League Soccer's 28-team membership for the 2021 season. I don't know that I'd describe 1/3 of the league as "a handful".  

15 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

I wouldn't think it's going to be that many clubs. At least not initially. The story in The Athletic states, "MLS is poised to allow a third kit next year for a handful of its best-selling clubs". Nine franchises would represent more than a third of Major League Soccer's 28-team membership for the 2021 season. I don't know that I'd describe 1/3 of the league as "a handful".  

Yeah, I'm probably being overenthusiastic considering the last time thirds kits were a thing, only Chicago, Seattle, and Sporting had them. Still, though, fingers crossed.

MLS should allow Seattle a third kit this year, while we have the gold star. They really don’t want my money with that joke of a new primary.

Of course, maybe the team comes through with another gold star next year.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

3 hours ago, Digby said:

I'm sure everyone will keep getting those awful templated save-the-environment recycled third (fourth?) kits or whatever though!

I don't mind those too much since they're one-offs, but I'd like to see them do team colors as opposed to white/black or teal/navy as they have prior

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 2:17 AM, EricSpratt said:

Yeah, I'm probably being overenthusiastic considering the last time thirds kits were a thing, only Chicago, Seattle, and Sporting had them. Still, though, fingers crossed.

D.C. United also had thirds at one point

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Archived