MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here’s the first look at Miami with their sponsor. It also gives us a look at the collar on the white kit, which I don’t think we saw on the replica. That makes me like it a little more but it’s still very plain overall and they haven’t maximized the value of their color palette. They really should emphasize the pink more.

Looks like SKC might go with navy shorts with their primaries this year instead of the awful grey-blue shorts they had last year, at least judging by this shot of Pulido:

spacer.png

They’ve been wearing the navy shorts in recent preseason matches, too:

spacer.png

spacer.png

And before someone says they’re just training shorts or the shorts from their new secondaries, they have the same cut as the game shorts for the 2019 kits, and they have the proper side stripes as well. Definitely looks like they’re game shorts to go with their primaries, which would be a huge upgrade over the grey-blue shorts.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

What’s the deal with league patches this year?   I know some clubs have removed the right sleeve patch in favor of an ad, but have all clubs?

Authentics are now being sold without any league patches at all. 

I think it’s at the club’s discretion. It looks like clubs without a sleeve sponsor may continue with the league patch on both sleeves.

I purchased my new Atlanta authentic shirt directly from the team store and it came with both the sleeve sponsor and league patch. The league patch used a completely new application (a kind of heat press patch but different than the circa 2017 ones, definitely not the 2019 stitched ones) than previous seasons, which is likely due to them not coming standard from adidas. The club said if you bought it from somewhere besides the team store or online MLS shop (such as adidas.com, Dick’s, etc) that it would be plain on the sleeves. Also, replicas were plain, too, but Atlanta will be selling a “patch pack” for $10 to get your MLS patch and sleeve sponsor. Funny having to pay for a sleeve sponsor but it is what it is. I’d guess that MLS patches and sponsors would be done on a club by club basis.

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

What’s the deal with league patches this year?   I know some clubs have removed the right sleeve patch in favor of an ad, but have all clubs?

Authentics are now being sold without any league patches at all. 

Fanatics is selling authentics with league patches.

On 2/16/2020 at 1:50 PM, TaylorMade said:

Nearly $234 million USD is a serious sponsorship haul. That said, there's going to be pushback - indeed, already has been - from those who question doing business with a nation that has Qatar's human rights record. 

51 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Nearly $234 million USD is a serious sponsorship haul. That said, there's going to be pushback - indeed, already has been - from those who question doing business with a nation that has Qatar's human rights record. 

The dollars are remarkable if you think about it. That’s in the same range that several MLS stadiums cost to build.

4 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

Even though Adidas is known for their sweatshops.......

Sadly, you'd be hard-pressed to find a major athletic equipment/wear manufacturer that doesn't have abuses occurring somewhere in its supply chain. Acushnet Company (Titleist/Foot-Joy), Adidas, Bauer, Dallas Cowboys Merchandising, Fanatics Apparel, Franklin Sports, New Balance, New Era, Nike, PING, PUMA, Rawlings, Riddell, Russell Athletic, Under Armour, Wilson, Zephyr, and '47 Brand have all shown up in the workplace monitoring reports of the Fair Labor Association within the past five years... many on multiple occasions.   

So I engaged in a conversation regarding the LS kits on another widely popular website that is not specific to the content discussed here. This person told me they contacted LAFC directly in regards to being able to purchase an authentic LS shirt. They were told that Adidas will only be making replica LS available for purchase. Sure enough, World Soccer Shop has replica LS shirts for sale. 

Has anyone else heard this? 

Edit: I don’t know if all clubs have a LS shirt for sale, but LAFC does.

Interesting scenes in the CONCACAF Champions League.

A number of people were speculating that because authentics now shipped without the MLS patch, clubs participating in the CCL wouldn’t wear them in the tournament and would only wear the CCL patch. The idea makes sense seeing as Liverpool doesn’t wear the Premier League patch in the Champions League, Bayern doesn’t wear the Bundesliga, etc. Given that authentics came straight from adidas with the MLS patch in past years, you could understand why clubs would leave them on. So we had kits bearing both like so:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tonight we saw Atlanta and LAFC wearing both the CCL and MLS patch. Atlanta stacked the CCL patch on top of their new Piedmont Healthcare sleeve sponsor while LAFC wore it by itself in place of their Target sleeve sponsor. Both clubs wore the MLS patch on the other sleeve.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It seems a strange choice when the alternative could be much simpler. I also find the sleeve sponsors interesting. Perhaps Target wasn’t permitted in the tournament since they’re not a CONCACAF sponsor? Piedmont Healthcare, on the other hand, is just a local Georgia healthcare provider and might be looked at differently.

I must say that I love LAFC’s new kit. The gold YTTV sponsor really looks so much better than last year and I really enjoy the black on black adidas stripes. I think the sock stripes should match (perhaps a really dark gray stripe) to give it an all black look. The tonal stripes on the shirt are nice, too.

———

Edit- thought I’d add this for further evidence that shirts are shipping from adidas without the MLS patch. These shots are from some preseason friendlies.

11 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Interesting scenes in the CONCACAF Champions League.

A number of people were speculating that because authentics now shipped without the MLS patch, clubs participating in the CCL wouldn’t wear them in the tournament and would only wear the CCL patch. The idea makes sense seeing as Liverpool doesn’t wear the Premier League patch in the Champions League, Bayern doesn’t wear the Bundesliga, etc. Given that authentics came straight from adidas with the MLS patch in past years, you could understand why clubs would leave them on. So we had kits bearing both like so:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tonight we saw Atlanta and LAFC wearing both the CCL and MLS patch. Atlanta stacked the CCL patch on top of their new Piedmont Healthcare sleeve sponsor while LAFC wore it by itself in place of their Target sleeve sponsor. Both clubs wore the MLS patch on the other sleeve.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It seems a strange choice when the alternative could be much simpler. I also find the sleeve sponsors interesting. Perhaps Target wasn’t permitted in the tournament since they’re not a CONCACAF sponsor? Piedmont Healthcare, on the other hand, is just a local Georgia healthcare provider and might be looked at differently.

I must say that I love LAFC’s new kit. The gold YTTV sponsor really looks so much better than last year and I really enjoy the black on black adidas stripes. I think the sock stripes should match (perhaps a really dark gray stripe) to give it an all black look. The tonal stripes on the shirt are nice, too.

Mexican teams just try to find a spare bit of real estate to stick the Concacaf badges on so I don't think it's a matter of sponsors not being Concacaf sponsors. For LAFC the Target logo takes up half of the sleeve so playing without it rather than slapping the badge on the front of the shirt or the shoulder makes more sense. I wish Concacaf had uniform rules that were more in line with UEFA as far as only the competition badge be worn on the sleeves. MLS and CPL are the only one's that only allow one sponsor on the front of the shirt at the moment, while MLS has just now allowed sleeve sponsors. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2/17/2020 at 9:00 AM, upperV03 said:

Looks like SKC might go with navy shorts with their primaries this year instead of the awful grey-blue shorts they had last year, at least judging by this shot of Pulido:

spacer.png

Insight as to what the MLS hoped for in last season's final? LAFC and Atlanta front and center? Sounders relegated to the back and Toronto nowhere to be found. 

Archived