MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

Not for 2020, but vague rumblings of a Revs rebrand. Of course the Revs do vague rumblings better than anyone, so who knows.

I did notice that earlier this week they opened their new training facility -- it looks fantastic but there's hardly any crayon flags to be found in photos, and even the "Revolution" stuff seems easy enough to change.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, insert name said:

Just throw the Revolution logo in a roundel and boom, you got a modern MLS logo.

It may seem to some that Major League Soccer has been inundated with roundels of late, but just one of the last seven team marks to be unveiled has been circular. In fact, since Inter Miami's roundel was unveiled 15-plus months ago, MLS has seen three franchises introduce non-circular logos.    

The first true roundel logo sported by a Major League Soccer franchise wasn't introduced until over 13 years after the league's inaugural match had been played. Once the Philadelphia Union had done so, it would be just shy of five years before another club - New York City FC - would follow suit.

Now, within a year of NYCFC's logo unveiling, Columbus had dumped its original shield for a circular logo and Portland had elevated its secondary mark - for all intents and purposes a roundel - to primary status. Four months later, Atlanta United FC unveiled a roundel. It was that 1-year, 3-month, 17-day flurry of circular logo unveilings that represented Major League Soccer's "Roundel-apalooza". However, that burst of spheroid-lovin' branding activity is nearly 4-1/2 years in the rearview mirror at this point. In total, it took nearly 9-1/2 years for MLS team branding to go from including a single roundel mark to welcoming its sixth such logo.       

Philadelphia Union - roundel (unveiled 5/11/09)
Vancouver Whitecaps FC - triple-diamond (unveiled 6/8/10)

Sporting Kansas City - shield (unveiled 11/17/10)
San Jose Earthquakes - shield (unveiled 1/30/14)
New York City FC - roundel (unveiled 3/20/14)
Orlando City SC - shield (unveiled 5/13/14)
Columbus Crew - roundel (unveiled 10/8/2014)
Portland Timbers - roundel (former secondary mark became de facto primary logo 3/7/15)
Atlanta United FC - roundel (unveiled 7/7/15)

D.C. United - shield (unveiled 12/10/15)
Los Angeles FC - shield (unveiled 1/7/16)
Minnesota United FC - shield (unveiled 8/19/16)
Austin FC - shield (unveiled 8/22/18)
Inter Miami CF - roundel (unveiled 9/5/18)
FC Cincinnati - pentagon (unveiled 11/12/18)
Nashville SC - octagon (unveiled 2/20/19)
Chicago Fire FC - oval (unveiled 11/21/19)

Going forward, I presume that when Sacramento Republic FC enters MLS the club's logo will continue to use a shield as its containment shape. It's anybody's guess what directions the expansion franchises in St. Louis and Charlotte will go in when it comes to selecting an overall shape for their respective logos. As for the New England Revolution, should the Krafts opt to rebrand, there's no indication as to what aesthetic they'll be pursuing . All of that said, while I don't necessarily believe that it would be overkill if St. Louis, Charlotte, and New England all wound up rolling out roundels, I would prefer to see a couple of said teams explore new territory. Perhaps, a containment shape such as Fiorentina's kite-shaped lozenge, or  Wolverhampton Wanderer's hexagon. Maybe an orthographic ligature, like that of Olympique Marseille. Another possibility is a stand-alone device such as the mark Tottenham Hotspur adopted in 2006. Any of these options would bring some variety to Major League Soccer's club branding.

Some of the training and travel gear for Miami, as well as their anthem jacket:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Training shirt and anthem jacket for Nashville:

spacer.png
spacer.png

Ofoball has shared images of many of the other teams’ new training and travel gear as well as anthem jackets, which I’ve compiled into an album here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/JwlOnZl

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 12/12/2019 at 1:57 PM, insert name said:

Just throw the Revolution logo in a roundel and boom, you got a modern MLS logo. 

My line of thought is that a roundel logo is almost always better, at least in its on-kit application, without the roundel (e.g. the NYCFC jacket posted above, and my preferred Miami look) ... but in this case I totally agree.

Like the crayon flag is much less bad on this jacket?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, BlazerBlaze said:

teams will be sporting special shoulder stripes on their new kits in honor of the 25th MLS season

LOLWUT. Yeah, it's in honor of MLS's 25th season and definitely not just a new way for adidas to slap its logo on the jerseys.

40 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Still better than anything Puma is putting out. 

I'd say their Euro 2020 gear is showing improvement but I think letting each team pick their own supplier should help improve the work adidas is putting into the MLS.  

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Damn. was hoping the big 3 stripes would just be for the original teams. Kinda weird to have it on someone like Atlanta's jerseys. These stripes celebrate 25 years of MLS! *Slaps them on a jersey of a team that s 3 years old* 

Instead of being a 25 year celebration, now it just seems like a random design element that will be on random (some home, some away) jerseys this year.

Also, the more I see that Galaxy jersey, the more I hate it. The white with navy/yellow trim was such a good look, why would they replace with grey?

Archived