MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

47 minutes ago, radchad said:

This reinforces my belief that Philly's standalone shield/snake logo is far superior to their primary roundel

7826_philadelphia_union-secondary-2018.png

(although obviously the weird tail things should be removed)

Yeah, remove the little spike things, get rid of the stupid gradient, and add Philadelphia above Union and that's perfect Union logo.

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the 96 MLS Cup on ESPN2 right now. Good lord, soccer uniforms sure have evolved. The shorts aren't too visually different from what's worn nowadays, but the jerseys.... WOW! They were practically wearing baggy polo shirts back then. At what point did soccer jerseys shift to the more form fitting, athletic fit shirts we have today?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

50 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Watching the 96 MLS Cup on ESPN2 right now. Good lord, soccer uniforms sure have evolved. The shorts aren't too visually different from what's worn nowadays, but the jerseys.... WOW! They were practically wearing baggy polo shirts back then. At what point did soccer jerseys shift to the more form fitting, athletic fit shirts we have today?

2006. I bought a 1996 USMNT jersey and bought a L that's the same size as an XL now.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 4/6/2020 at 6:43 PM, 4_tattoos said:

I'd actually say the advent of tighter fitting jerseys was in 2001 when Colorado was outfitted by Kappa. Those jerseys were almost like biking jerseys they were so tight:

spacer.png

patriotssignature.png

On 4/6/2020 at 11:43 PM, 4_tattoos said:

Relevant tweet:

The 2000 Kappa Combat first seen on Italy in Euro 2000 were groundbreaking because they were extremely form fitting just a few years after football shirts reached peak baggyness in the late 90’s. The trend then continued to be form fitting up until the early 2010’s, with the adidas techfit shirts and (especially) Puma, which were basically corsets in moisture wicking fabrics 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

12 hours ago, UnclearInitial said:

Relevant tweet:

The 2000 Kappa Combat first seen on Italy in Euro 2000 were groundbreaking because they were extremely form fitting just a few years after football shirts reached peak baggyness in the late 90’s. The trend then continued to be form fitting up until the early 2010’s, with the adidas techfit shirts and (especially) Puma, which were basically corsets in moisture wicking fabrics 

I'm glad we've backed away from that. I felt uncomfortable watching Italy in the 2014 (I think?) World Cup. There's tight-fitting, and then there's "I know what you had for dinner" fitting.

I know this is just a model, but you can see his individual abs here. It's just too much.

FF_1708107ALT1_full.jpg&w=900

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, very common.  Seems as though training gear sponsors tend to be more local, since the exposure is more local.

I know many NYCFC fans would rather have this on the game shirts than a foreign airline that barely has any presence in the city.

06102019-Training-022.jpg

What's interesting to me is whether clubs sell training gear with the sponsor or not.  In NYC's case, the sponsor version is only offered at one place - Yankee Stadium during matches.  Everywhere else it's logo-free.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Yep, very common.  Seems as though training gear sponsors tend to be more local, since the exposure is more local.

I know many NYCFC fans would rather have this on the game shirts than a foreign airline that barely has any presence in the city.

06102019-Training-022.jpg

What's interesting to me is whether clubs sell training gear with the sponsor or not.  In NYC's case, the sponsor version is only offered at one place - Yankee Stadium during matches.  Everywhere else it's logo-free.

I think Columbus started selling training gear with Ohio Health last year, but before it was blank.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

26 minutes ago, Digby said:

I am curious about the type of person who, offered the blank version or the sponsored version as an otherwise-equal choice, wants to wear the sponsor.

They're likely looking for an air of authenticity, that they're wearing the same thing the players are wearing.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

That’s it.  

NYCFC does sell some training gear with the sponsor.  Not a lot, but some people apparently do what that “authentic” air.

I’m sure if MLS offered game shirts without the sponsor, there would be a percentage of people thinking they looked “bootleg” or “inauthentic”.  Advertising is a powerful lure. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

That’s it.  

NYCFC does sell some training gear with the sponsor.  Not a lot, but some people apparently do what that “authentic” air.

I’m sure if MLS offered game shirts without the sponsor, there would be a percentage of people thinking they looked “bootleg” or “inauthentic”.  Advertising is a powerful lure. 

I think that's why they stayed away from beer sponsors once they started selling jerseys with the ads already on them. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Yeah, i'm the type of person that needs to have the in game jerseys look exactly as they do on the field.

That said, i like buying polos and such sponsor free, even if the players/coaches have them with sponsors.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

21 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

That's been there training gear sponsor for a few years I think. I think it's pretty common to have different training gear sponsors. Minnesota does as well.

yep!  76 has been the training sponsor for a couple of seasons.  about the same time the large globe sign was installed in the northwest corner of the stadium.

Archived