MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

On 5/7/2020 at 9:20 PM, _J_ said:

Yeah, i'm the type of person that needs to have the in game jerseys look exactly as they do on the field.

That said, i like buying polos and such sponsor free, even if the players/coaches have them with sponsors.

Agreed, it's less of an issue if I were to buy a replica (I don't for MLS because they're boxy and not much cheaper) but if I'm buying an Authentic I want it to be truly authentic. Losing the sponsor takes away from the authentic look of the jersey. I don't care about it on training gear but it doesn't bother me either because it is such a part of the soccer aesthetic. Given the choice I'd have it removed from all teams but if it is there it doesn't bother me that it's on my fan version of apparel. 

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/7/2020 at 5:20 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I think that's why they stayed away from beer sponsors once they started selling jerseys with the ads already on them. 

When I was first learning about soccer, I knew Liverpool only as the Carlsberg team.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I understand both sides (authentic/no sponsor), but I'd definitely pay extra for sponsor-less gear if available.

Too many kit designs are "ruined" because of sponsor boxes/word marks/colors.

There are a few that fit nicely in shape/colors but that's rather the exception IMO.

I'm one of those "authentic" people where sponsor-less just seems knock off to me, as much as I hate them. But a sponsor can definitely ruin a jersey design. Chelsea for example, looked fine with Samsung or Yokohoma Tyres, but that 3 logo is gonna look like trash. Wordmarks in white or team colors look so much better than just a logo.

Using a MLS team as an example. I think MNUFC would look much better if had Target written out next to the logo than it does with just the logo.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:45 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

When I was first learning about soccer, I knew Liverpool only as the Carlsberg team.

As a well-designed logo and a non-objectionable brand, that's probably going to go down as maybe the best (!) sponsor/team partnership there ever was.

I don't buy many jerseys, especially not club ones ... but by happenstance, I got one of the Revs' brief-run red jerseys from a couple years ago, with my guy Charlie Davies's number on the back. But I never want to wear it, lest I rep a friggin health insurer on the front.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• 2 weeks later...

Nashville's really lucky there's no MLS happening so can't comment on how lackluster their debut uniform has been.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Nashville's really lucky there's no MLS happening so can't comment on how lackluster their debut uniform has been.

They can't be too lucky as we are probably just kicking that can down the road. 

In a battle between the comically garish 90s and current minimalist restraint, the winner is... that unsatisfying middle period?

i realize these tournaments are useless, but still. that wasn’t even the best of that class of Seattle aways?

I got updates on that tournament via @mls on IG. I think it was just a fan-voted tournament on Twitter? There's no way Seattle wasn't winning, no matter what Sounders shirt was included.

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I got updates on that tournament via @mls on IG. I think it was just a fan-voted tournament on Twitter? There's no way Seattle wasn't winning, no matter what Sounders shirt was included.

Probably true, I just think it’s funny when I’d consider that kit to be grossly inferior to all but one of the kits it went up against in the bracket (the Revs kit that made the final four being the exception) and about 3/4 of the kits in the bracket as a whole. It shouldn’t have even beat out the Whitecaps’ current primaries in the first round, lol.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

If anyone’s in need of a good laugh, then here ya go:

spacer.png

But that is the best jersey. Looked phenomenal on the field.

Also that Nashville yellow is way too close to Columbus. WTF were they thinking? Predator yellow (yellow/orange, imo) is a better differentiator.

Anyhoo, one of the few silver linings of COVID might be the end to MLS’ ridiculously shortsighted over-expansion. Maybe even contract the teams that are financial liabilities. 

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

I'm a big Sounders fan and generally like their uniform choices, including the black and green shirt, but my favorite look in MLS is probably RSL. The RSL shirt used in that tournament was the wrong one too; this is my favorite of their kits:

RSL.png

that sort of bracket is built to make our sort of people completely insane so I’m trying not to pay too much care.

that said, a black shirt with light fluorescent shorts is never ever okay, and as much as I like that Revs alt for dorky 90s-ness, their original standard set was even better at dorky 90s-ness.

7 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm a big Sounders fan and generally like their uniform choices, including the black and green shirt, but my favorite look in MLS is probably RSL. The RSL shirt used in that tournament was the wrong one too; this is my favorite of their kits:

RSL.png

I mean, sure, that's an opinion.  (Though at least it had the blue sleeves.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Charlotte's MLS franchise will likely announce their name next month:

MLS Charlotte is now targeting sometime in June to announce its name, colors and brand, according to Tepper Sports & Entertainment President Tom Glick. He declined to disclose a date or a window for when an announcement could come. “This is a very important moment in the formation of our new club for the city and for the region,” Glick said. “We’ve been monitoring and thinking about when the right time to introduce it would be. What’s clear to us right now is not only is there a hunger for the return of sport and watching sport, there’s a hunger and anticipation for this moment for this new club.”

Glick said Charlotte previously planned a launch for late March but decided to shelve those plans, as first reported by THE DAILY. At the time, Charlotte FC was seen as the front-runner for the team’s name. It’s unclear if that remains true. Glick, also the current president of the NFL Panthers, said Charlotte has had agencies assisting in the branding process, but declined to mention any specifically. "We think that we have arrived at something that people in Charlotte and the Carolinas will really take to," Glick said. The club is slated to begin play in '21.

Archived