MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

"We think that we have arrived at something that people in Charlotte and the Carolinas will really take to,"

$5 it's Carolinas FC or Carolina Unity 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

"We think that we have arrived at something that people in Charlotte and the Carolinas will really take to,"

$5 it's Carolinas FC or Carolina Unity 

I wish that United wasn't already taken by DC and Atlanta where it doesn't make much sense, because Carolina(s) United would be a really good name actually.

spacer.png

Fingers crossed it's something with Charlotte and not Carolina. I'd like to see a team actually rep the city. I'd rather have Charlotte FC than anything with Carolina in it.

the user formerly known as cdclt

6 hours ago, henburg said:

I wish that United wasn't already taken by DC and Atlanta where it doesn't make much sense, because Carolina(s) United would be a really good name actually.

Makes as much sense for DC and Atlanta as it does for Manchester and West Ham, both of which chose the name solely because it sounded good. 

17 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Makes as much sense for DC and Atlanta as it does for Manchester and West Ham, both of which chose the name solely because it sounded good. 

West Ham unofficially was a merger of Thames Ironworks FC with another team, but since that team dissolved and was reformed as West Ham I don't know if it still counts as a continued merger.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

West Ham unofficially was a merger of Thames Ironworks FC with another team, but since that team dissolved and was reformed as West Ham I don't know if it still counts as a continued merger.

No, it wasn’t.  It was a reorganization of Thames Ironworks after the club went bust, not a merger.  

Thames Ironworks was itself a reorganization of an older club whose name escapes me; could that be what you’re thinking of?

Just as in Manchester, “United” was chosen not because it indicated the combination of two clubs, but solely because it sounded good, sounded “football-y”.  The more things change...

• 4 weeks later...

Charlotte's name announcement has been pushed back again:

Charlotte’s Major League Soccer team name, colors and logo were expected to be released this month, but the team is now pushing back that announcement, according to a source with direct knowledge of the decision.

“With everything going on in the world, we feel like it’s not the right time,” the source said, adding that the announcement is still coming “soon.”

“Hopefully next month,” the source said, citing the timing of the coronavirus pandemic and nationwide protests as reasons why Charlotte MLS has not yet dropped its official team name and colors.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Farther they push it back, the more likely that it gets leaked somewhere in the merchandise pipeline.

Leagues seem to have gotten smarter about keeping names from leaking through TESS and trademark filings. Seems like that used to be a pretty reliable way to jump on name announcements. 

I forgot Charlotte MLS was even happening. We're still waiting on names and logos for them, St. Louis and Sacramento, right? Feels like all of those announcements were made in a parallel universe. It's a boring observation at this point, I know. But still.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I forgot Charlotte MLS was even happening. We're still waiting on names and logos for them, St. Louis and Sacramento, right? Feels like all of those announcements were made in a parallel universe. It's a boring observation at this point, I know. But still.

Sacramento has confirmed they're going with Sacramento Republic FC, probably with the same branding as the USL team. But Charlotte and St. Louis are both waiting to announce their names. The longer this goes on, the more worried I am that it's going to be "Carolina United". 

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

Leagues seem to have gotten smarter about keeping names from leaking through TESS and trademark filings. Seems like that used to be a pretty reliable way to jump on name announcements. 

True enough.   And if they push it back enough, it might leak there as well. 

52 minutes ago, QCS said:

Sacramento has confirmed they're going with Sacramento Republic FC, probably with the same branding as the USL team.

in general, MLS requires teams to make changes to their logo, so the league can assume the trademark of the new version. That’s why you get things like this:

spacer.png    spacer.png      

Now, the Republic just tweaked its logo last season.  But they’ll probably have to tweak it again. 

2 hours ago, QCS said:

Sacramento has confirmed they're going with Sacramento Republic FC, probably with the same branding as the USL team. But Charlotte and St. Louis are both waiting to announce their names. The longer this goes on, the more worried I am that it's going to be "Carolina United". 

Ben Fredrickson, a sportswriter for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, last month wrote that St. Louis will not be releasing its branding until sometime after Charlotte. He makes it seem like a league-mandated request since Charlotte will be taking the field a year earlier than St. Louis. Here's what he said on it: 

QUESTION: Do you have a sense of when the MLS4TheLou group might announce its team name and team colors?

BENFRED:  St. Louis won't announce its team name and colors before Charlotte announces its team name and colors, because the Charlotte expansion team is going to start play in 2021, a year ahead of STL's start in 2022.

The league will space out the announcements a bit, so after Charlotte goes, STL will be on the clock.

The name and colors have been decided. I don't know them yet. There has also been traction made on a key hire on the MLS4TheLou soccer operations side. Expect more on that soon as well.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/the-color-of-soccer-in-st-louis/article_aa57ba51-84ba-5f93-9ecd-8aab4ad53bb1.html

21 hours ago, QCS said:

I never noticed the silver outline on the bird. Makes sense that the league would want to get the trademark, and I think Sac Republic could use a slight update. 

I like the update they just made. 

4f9091c5-a0eb-4526-8421-02dcc0e1c51a_959

which seems to be so subtle nobody noticed; not the mothership, not Wikipedia, not nobody. But it’s a huge improvement over the original:

480px-Sacramento_Republic_FC.svg.png

removing extra key lines is always an upgrade. 

Yeah that's a really nice update. If it were up to me, I'd maybe make the bear less detailed and remove the motto, but that's it. Although Republic fans might love it, so I'd be wary of making too many changes.

How do people in North and South Carolina get along? Obviously, SC is not getting a pro team anytime soon, so do NC folks resent getting tagged with the 'Carolina' moniker? Is there a real chance for SC folks to root for Georgia or Florida teams if they aren't included in the name? Is the Carolina naming thing more of a 'suggestion' from a sports league's marketing team?

Archived