WarriorFight

MLS Kits, 2020

12 hours ago, schlim said:

How do people in North and South Carolina get along? Obviously, SC is not getting a pro team anytime soon, so do NC folks resent getting tagged with the 'Carolina' moniker? Is there a real chance for SC folks to root for Georgia or Florida teams if they aren't included in the name? Is the Carolina naming thing more of a 'suggestion' from a sports league's marketing team?

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

That's a good question.

Do the Panthers have a presence south of the border?  Or do South Carolinians see them as "that other state's team"?  And do North Carolinians resent the pandering to their country neighbors?

I can answer this question from my own personal perspective, which isn't necessarily representative of all North Carolinians: I :censored:ing hate it. The Panthers have an active presence in SC, with the new practice field being built there (thanks to massive tax breaks the state gave to the Panthers), and it's pretty universally considered "Panthers territory" in terms of marketing/TV rights or whatever (though there might be people in southern SC that root for the Falcons), while the Hurricanes have basically nothing. Raleigh isn't anywhere close enough to SC to reasonably draw from the state like Charlotte can, and even then hockey still isn't all that popular (though I know plenty of fans and the Checkers draw reasonably well). I'd imagine most South Carolinians don't care whether or not the team is called "Carolina" or not, and it's not like it matters, since the Hornets claim all of North and South Carolina anyway. 

I wish our teams were more representative of the city rather than the state/region, though the Panthers have a slight exception because the Carolina panther was a real thing a one point (it's sadly extinct in the wild). I love the Hornets because of the exclusively Charlottean nickname and I keep my fingers crossed that any MLB team would go with "Charlotte" and the MLS will also go with Charlotte, especially since there's already a North Carolina FC in Raleigh. I think it's stupid to claim a whole region when you're not the only team in the region, plus I just want my city represented on a national level properly, and not as an extension of the Carolinas. Many people will go to a pirate/airplane theme for Charlotte, which doesn't make much sense given how far the coast is from Charlotte (for reference, Philly is about half the distance to the coast, but we don't think of it as coastal at all) and Kitty Hawk is even farther than the coast. Just once I'd love to see a team reach into Charlotte's history and not the region's because I think it has a ton to offer that people don't quite realize. For example, my preferred team name for the MLS squad is Charlotte Town FC, because Charlotte was once called Charlottetowne and there's a Charlottetowne Avenue near Uptown. It ties into the European-style names that are popular and could even utilize a cool nickname of "Highlanders", since the reason Charlotte is called Uptown is because the city was on a slight hill, meaning anytime you went into the city you were quite literally going "up". A name like "One Carolina" or "Carolina Gliders" or whatever doesn't even come close to capturing that kind of local connection and is just broad and bland, appealing to no one. 

I have seen a post on the Charlotte MLS subreddit of a South Carolinian wanting the name to be "Carolina" but most others (probably Charlotteans) pretty much all disagreed. I've expressed my distaste for "Carolina" many times (in fact, this exact complaint is why I started my Project CLT series) and I honestly think it's something outsiders (even team executives) don't realize about the region. Charlotte and the rest of the state are quite different, and equating the two devalues Charlotte in a way that I think does a disservice to the city and the people that will actually be supporting the team. 

In case you need to get ready for MLS Coronavirus Cup 2020, Fanatics is discounting 2020 kits. I ordered one of those ugly 25th anniversary Sounders replica kits for a good price of $67+tax.  Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to pricing, but here you go: https://www.fanatics.com/mls/jerseys/o-1311+d-20889045+z-98818-3756440245?ab={wt-static_graphic}{dm-FDC}{pt-league}{al-B1_Spot}{ct-MLS_KITS}

Nashville SC just announced that two additional sponsors have been added to their kits. I'm not sure what that means for the MLS patch normally placed on the sleeve, maybe a temporary measure to recover some lost funds this season?

30 minutes ago, henburg said:

Nashville SC just announced that two additional sponsors have been added to their kits. I'm not sure what that means for the MLS patch normally placed on the sleeve, maybe a temporary measure to recover some lost funds this season?

LA Galaxy have added Dignity Health to one sleeve and another Herbalife logo to the left sleeve.

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

LA Galaxy have added Dignity Health to one sleeve and another Herbalife logo to the left sleeve.