MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

5 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

Damn. was hoping the big 3 stripes would just be for the original teams. Kinda weird to have it on someone like Atlanta's jerseys. These stripes celebrate 25 years of MLS! *Slaps them on a jersey of a team that s 3 years old* 

Instead of being a 25 year celebration, now it just seems like a random design element that will be on random (some home, some away) jerseys this year.

Also, the more I see that Galaxy jersey, the more I hate it. The white with navy/yellow trim was such a good look, why would they replace with grey?

The 25th Anniversary is also known as a Silver Anniversary. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless, I'm trying to hold judgment until we see more of these shirts, but all of it is super disappointing to me. The 25th anniversary would be a great time to pay tribute to those wacky idiosyncratic early days of MLS in a cleaner, modernized way. Instead, of course, they'll celebrate the anniversary by...finding a new way to give Adidas attention. MLS always wants to trumpet its authenticity and community ties as its value prop, and yet everyone runs away screaming from the league's own history.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

New Rapids primary:

spacer.png

I actually really like the diagonal stripes here, but not a fan at all of them going with burgundy shorts. I also think light blue cuffs would really improve the look and balance out the shirt a bit more.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

New Rapids primary:

spacer.png

I actually really like the diagonal stripes here, but not a fan at all of them going with burgundy shorts. I also think light blue cuffs would really improve the look and balance out the shirt a bit more.

Also saw the note that these are MLS specific because the European leagues wouldn't allow that shoulder design to pass muster. Are the stripes still running down the sides as well? 

"This template, specifically the large 3 Stripes on the right shoulder, are inspired by the iconic Adidas 1994 template and will be used exclusively in the MLS - it would not even be allowed to be used in most European competitions including the UEFA Champions League due to the stricter kit regulations over there."

Image result for us soccer 1990 uniform

The article says inspired by 1994 adidas uniforms but this was their 1992 design, which is closer to that design. So this seems to tells me they're getting a design hand me down because UEFA sid they couldn't give it to Germany, Sweden and others. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

New Rapids primary:

spacer.png

Maybe they’ll retain the blue shorts, but I don’t know how that works in terms of what can be kept over.

23 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The 25th Anniversary is also known as a Silver Anniversary. 

In point of fact, the 2020 MLS campaign doesn't mark the league's 25th anniversary season. It will, in fact, be Major League Soccer's 25th annual season. Having launched in 1996, MLS celebrated its first anniversary in 1997... making the 2020 MLS campaign the 24th anniversary season. The league's 25th - or, Silver - anniversary season will take place in 2021.    

2 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

In point of fact, the 2020 MLS campaign doesn't mark the league's 25th anniversary season. It will, in fact, be Major League Soccer's 25th annual season. Having launched in 1996, MLS celebrated its first anniversary in 1997... making the 2020 MLS campaign the 24th anniversary season. The league's 25th - or, Silver - anniversary season will take place in 2021.    

Except leagues treat each season as a year, regardless of that fact. thus 25th season is appropriate but they'll end up calling it an anniversary season instead. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Except leagues treat each season as a year, regardless of that fact. thus 25th season is appropriate but they'll end up calling it an anniversary season instead. 

Whether a league treats each season of its competition as a year has no bearing on the fact that the initial occurrence of an event cannot, by definition, be its own anniversary. An anniversary is the commemoration of an event that took place at an earlier time/on an earlier date. 

I'm in complete agreement with the fact that 2020 marks Major League Soccer's 25th annual season of competition. I also know that the league will likely - erroneously - refer to the 2020 competitive slate as its 25th anniversary season.  

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The article says inspired by 1994 adidas uniforms but this was their 1992 design, which is closer to that design. So this seems to tells me they're getting a design hand me down because UEFA sid they couldn't give it to Germany, Sweden and others.

Not excatly. From what I found this design was using from 1991 to 1994 and in 1993 similar design (with three stripes on hem) was introducing.

4r2eer.png

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don’t mind either way of measuring anniversaries, actually. I prefer they be consistent with the choice, but either choice is valid. 

Factually and logically, only one choice is valid. If a sports league is counting its twenty-fifth season of competition as its 25th anniversary season, that's factually and logically incorrect, as it would mean that the first season of competition was being regarded as its own first anniversary.

The 2020 MLS season is the league's 25th annual slate of games, but marks the 24th anniversary of the league's inaugural season of play.      

Oh. So that three shoulder stripes really is going to be on every kit. Well that :censored:ing sucks, way to ruin a potentially cool thing Adidas.

Agree. The kit itself for Colorado is rad, but the shorts should 100% be powder blue. 

I HATE how the three stripes shoulders are EVERY kit, apparently. :censored:ing Adidas is :censored:ing goddamn lazy man.

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Factually and logically, only one choice is valid. If a sports league is counting its twenty-fifth season of competition as its 25th anniversary season, that's factually and logically incorrect

I meant that when deciding whether to celebrate, say, the “25th Season” in a given year or the “25th Anniversary” one year later, each choice is equally valid and correct.

23 hours ago, upperV03 said:

New Rapids primary:

spacer.png

Image result for mls 1996 uniform

To be fair, these are what adidas should have tried to recreate instead of the uniform above if they were trying to honor 25th season teams. .

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Inaugural season throwbacks as an alt jersey for the original teams would be sweet.

Also, it may be too late, but please accept my submission for the new Charlotte team name:

CLT Commanders FC

If even just one person gets the reference I’ll be happy

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

4 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

Inaugural season throwbacks as an alt jersey for the original teams would be sweet.

Also, it may be too late, but please accept my submission for the new Charlotte team name:

CLT Commanders FC

No. it's real alright... It's the female orgasm... THAT'S the myth.

26 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

CLT Commanders FC

giphy.gif

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...

RBNY had their secondary kit leak. A bit disappointing. I was hoping for more of a classic Metrostars vibe (vertical stripes) when we heard about the leaked colors. This harkens back to the Metrostars in colors only. The leak also shows us what the three stripes over the sleeve will look like, which sound like they’ll be rolled out to numerous clubs. Interesting to see (at least from this angle) there’s no MLS patch on the sleeve. We’ve heard how the league will permit sleeve sponsors but I figured they’d simply drop one of the patches. I wonder if this means the jerseys won’t carry the patches as standard anymore. This could be good for tournaments like US Open Cup and Champions League. It was a bit weird when clubs wore the CL patch stacked above the MLS patch. Most other teams around the world simply drop their league patch in exchange for the tournament patch.

https://cdn.footyheadlines.com/amp/1601102698749313744?u=191229&__twitter_impression=true

spacer.png

Archived