MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

My 2020 Sounders replica jersey arrived today. It's pretty ugly! But also in a way that's endearing and fitting for the year it's being worn. I think Seattle made a mistake by going with a weird front pattern two shirts in a row, but "vague horizontal tiger stripe" is nicer than last season's "dirty laundry" pattern.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Adidas is okay with tonal stripes in some applications.

And here's the new Arsenal anthem jacket, a sneak peek at the template MLS will use next season.

I don't know under what circumstances they use tonal stripes, but they do use them.

I have seen the tonal adidas look, especially as it’s been back in vogue the last season or two ... but Miami occupies a weird area, lacking the contrast we expect from that look but also being too off for a simple tonal look. I guess that’s where the “unpleasant” vibe of their weirdly dirty pale pink comes in.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

7 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

My 2020 Sounders replica jersey arrived today. It's pretty ugly! But also in a way that's endearing and fitting for the year it's being worn. I think Seattle made a mistake by going with a weird front pattern two shirts in a row, but "vague horizontal tiger stripe" is nicer than last season's "dirty laundry" pattern.

I really hope someone from the Sounders, MLS or Adidas follows this thread. I was all-in for buying a new Sounders jersey with 2 stars... until they came out with that atrocity of a design. They are actively pushing people away from buying their product. It’s so frustrating. And we used to have really cool, unique thirds but MLS took that away since us and Portland were probably the only fanbases that cared enough to buy that many jerseys. So now I hold out hope for a good new secondary in 2021. Hopefully the return of a true Sounder blue shirt for the first time since the club’s rebirth in MLS.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

I really liked that MLS only had the one sponsor on the front. When they announced sleeve sponsors would be on the way, I thought that was fine - most European leagues do it, it’s only one sleeve with the MLS logo still on the other, and it’s just a bit of extra money for teams. Now we’ve got sponsors on both sleeves and the back of the shorts. At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if they put sponsors below the numbers once they’re done with the BLM patch.

ExJworW.png

Atlanta has announced additional sponsors. They were one of the few that had a sleeve sponsor (Piedmont Healthcare) lined up before the season and it looks like they’ve added Truist to the other sleeve and Napa to the shorts.

Atlanta has always been good about insisting on sponsors using colors that match the kit so they’ve never bothered me too much. But now, MLS is going down a bad path that could result in these ads permanently being used going forward.

I thought the chest sponsor and one sleeve sponsor was a happy medium and is the norm across the top leagues. At this pace, MLS is now on track to start looking like some of the Central American leagues. The shorts sponsor is the most egregious.

The shorts sponsor is strictly for the MLS is Back tournament, but the article mentions that the second sleeve sponsor will remain for the entire 2020 season. I don’t see a situation where the MLS patch replaces a sleeve sponsor in future seasons.

https://www.atlutd.com/post/2020/07/10/atlanta-united-announces-additional-kit-sponsors-mls-back-tournament-2020-season?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

At least the sponsor colors are gone. Meaning the logos kinda blend in to the design of the jersey and don't catch the eye due to color. Not saying I'm glad they're doing this though. Definitely prefer them without sponsors. But given the amount of money they've lost this year I can see why they're doing it. Hopefully it's a covid only thing and next year we are back to our regularly scheduled number of uniform sponsors.

NYRB vs ATL is already a bad looking game. Black with red numbers/letters vs white with metallic gold numbers/letters. MLS really needs to crack down on contrast legibility of the jerseys numbers. Names on back not nearly as important. 8 minutes in and I can't make out anybody's jersey number unless there is a cut to a closeup camera.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

No matter how much they insist this is only for the tournament, MLS has now opened the door to more money (even if it makes the kits look worse) and it won't be closed any time soon. Expect to see these for the rest of this year and probably every year going forward.

ExJworW.png

San Jose is debuting their new secondary kit tonight, but with yellow clash shorts instead of the first choice blue shorts that were unveiled with the kit. I’m really not feeling the white/yellow/white combo at all:

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

San Jose is debuting their new secondary kit tonight,

And both teams are in their change kits. *twitch twitch*

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 9:23 PM, upperV03 said:

San Jose is debuting their new secondary kit tonight, but with yellow clash shorts instead of the first choice blue shorts that were unveiled with the kit. I’m really not feeling the white/yellow/white combo at all:

spacer.png

From doing some reading, I think San Jose is in yellow shorts because the backdrop they’re projecting ads onto for the broadcasts is a blue screen. Cincinnati hasn’t worn its blue jerseys in the tournament, and this seems to be the speculated reason — that the ads would get projected on the players too.

What a beautifully stupid league. 

6fQjS3M.png

1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

From doing some reading, I think San Jose is in yellow shorts because the backdrop they’re projecting ads onto for the broadcasts is a blue screen. Cincinnati hasn’t worn its blue jerseys in the tournament, and this seems to be the speculated reason — that the ads would get projected on the players too.

What a beautifully stupid league. 

Yep, that’s exactly it. Cincinnati actually confirmed it:

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

No discussion of LAFC and Seattle both wearing road kits last night? I assumed it was because green and black would clash, but a quick search shows both have worn their home jerseys during previous matchups

3 hours ago, 90reds said:

No discussion of LAFC and Seattle both wearing road kits last night? I assumed it was because green and black would clash, but a quick search shows both have worn their home jerseys during previous matchups

I smell merchandising. Specifically, the Sounders.  I have nothing to back this up, just my suspicion. 

Has Seattle worn the green elsewhere in the tournament? Or does that mess up the CGI Adidas logo in the middle of the pitch? Do earlier revelations preclude Austin from wearing bright kelly green next year if this CGI ad nonsense? 

At any rate, at this point it’s not unusual for MLS teams to wear away kits needlessly, even at home. For many teams the protocol was “wear whatever you feel like today” for a few years now. Maybe even before the NBA codified the concept.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived