MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

10 hours ago, Digby said:

at this point it’s not unusual for MLS teams to wear away kits needlessly, even at home. For many teams the protocol was “wear whatever you feel like today” for a few years now.

I know it shouldn't but it drives me nuts.

One of the traditional things I always liked about soccer was the fact that clubs had 1 look and an "extra" just in case that look clashed with the team they were playing on the road. (obviously anyone who reads this thread knows that is the case, I'm just saying that I like that). 

I realize that it's just not like that anymore and there's even special looks for cup competitions. I also get that it's a way to sell more merch. I know, at the end of the day it's a business and all that but I just don't like the randomness of what is worn in MLS. 

....and now that I sound like a real old man I'll stop this post and go yell at a cloud. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually don't mind when a team wears an away or third at home now and then; sometimes it's a good look and it's a nice way to spice up a random Saturday night game in the doldrums of July or whatever. But I prefer that to be the exception to keep it unusual, rather than the rule of picking out of a hat or deciding your away kit was the one that got replaced this year so we're gonna wear it 75% of home games too. SKC seem to be special offenders of that. And who can tell what the Red Bulls have been doing the past few years?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

EDIT: Forgot this thread was intended for MLS not CPL.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 7/30/2020 at 9:51 AM, Gothamite said:

MLS does have rules governing how often clubs can wear alternate jerseys at home.  I know that NYCFC has applied for waivers the last couple years and has been turned down at least once.

I don't think so because the Red Bulls wore their "secondary" Red kits at home basically every game. I've noticed Sporting KC also frequently wears their secondaries at home.

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That doesn’t mean MLS doesn’t have a rule, only that they have given teams the waiver NYCFC was seeking.  

IDK then. Weird that a request would get denied for one team when it seemingly gets accepted all the time for another team.

19 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

IDK then. Weird that a request would get denied for one team when it seemingly gets accepted all the time for another team.

I’m pretty confident that the waivers are tied to merchandise sales.  Teams that need help moving their alternates are granted more opportunities to wear (and thereby promote) them. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

miami-atlanta.jpg 

They did. Miami also wore white shorts vs Orlando - not sure about anyone else. 

Honestly, it's hard to tell what's white and what's pink with Inter Miami. 

What I find interesting, though, is that the faint pink when viewed from a distance on TV actually looks similar to the color of less-vibrant flamingos. So if the goal was to look like a less-vibrant flamingo, they nailed it. 

spacer.png

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

Honestly, it's hard to tell what's white and what's pink with Inter Miami. 

That's what frustrates me the most about their kits. If you are going to use a unique and vibrant color like pink or teal, you have to use it more than just using it as a trim or tertiary color.

I trashed these when they first came out, but after seeing them in action I'm really starting to love them. I might go as far to say that this is the best they've ever looked. Definitely better than the year 1 kits.

usa_today_14869636.0.jpg

usa_today_14870265.0.jpg

The heraldic look of the chest makes sense for a team from the "Queen City" with a crowned lion logo. The navy blue is part of their logo so it's acceptable to use in the uniform and I really like how those 3 colors work together. I hope in the future they continue to use navy just without the most humongous adidas stripes. 

Meanwhile, all white uniforms in MLS are a problem and that Chicago Fire logo remains completely unacceptable. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Chicago Fire really could have just retained the new away uniform they had last year, with the red chest stripe. I guess they really wanted to leave the chest-stripe era of branding in the past, but I don't see how an off-the-rack completely plain ensemble is an improvement in any way.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I've liked the FCC jerseys since they launched, and I'm glad to see that they're growing on others. I don't even hate the giant stripes - this is one of the few kits this year where I've had to put some thought to if they would look better with normal stripes. I still think it would, but it's not an easy decision like it is for a lot of others.

ExJworW.png

• 3 weeks later...

Archived