WarriorFight

MLS Kits, 2020

10 hours ago, Digby said:

at this point it’s not unusual for MLS teams to wear away kits needlessly, even at home. For many teams the protocol was “wear whatever you feel like today” for a few years now.

I know it shouldn't but it drives me nuts.

One of the traditional things I always liked about soccer was the fact that clubs had 1 look and an "extra" just in case that look clashed with the team they were playing on the road. (obviously anyone who reads this thread knows that is the case, I'm just saying that I like that). 

I realize that it's just not like that anymore and there's even special looks for cup competitions. I also get that it's a way to sell more merch. I know, at the end of the day it's a business and all that but I just don't like the randomness of what is worn in MLS. 

....and now that I sound like a real old man I'll stop this post and go yell at a cloud. 

I actually don't mind when a team wears an away or third at home now and then; sometimes it's a good look and it's a nice way to spice up a random Saturday night game in the doldrums of July or whatever. But I prefer that to be the exception to keep it unusual, rather than the rule of picking out of a hat or deciding your away kit was the one that got replaced this year so we're gonna wear it 75% of home games too. SKC seem to be special offenders of that. And who can tell what the Red Bulls have been doing the past few years?

MLS does have rules governing how often clubs can wear alternate jerseys at home.  I know that NYCFC has applied for waivers the last couple years and has been turned down at least once.

CPL away kit reveals for 2020 being livestreamed starting now:

EDIT: Forgot this thread was intended for MLS not CPL.

On 7/30/2020 at 9:51 AM, Gothamite said:

MLS does have rules governing how often clubs can wear alternate jerseys at home.  I know that NYCFC has applied for waivers the last couple years and has been turned down at least once.

I don't think so because the Red Bulls wore their "secondary" Red kits at home basically every game. I've noticed Sporting KC also frequently wears their secondaries at home.

That doesn’t mean MLS doesn’t have a rule, only that they have given teams the waiver NYCFC was seeking.  

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That doesn’t mean MLS doesn’t have a rule, only that they have given teams the waiver NYCFC was seeking.  

IDK then. Weird that a request would get denied for one team when it seemingly gets accepted all the time for another team.

19 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

IDK then. Weird that a request would get denied for one team when it seemingly gets accepted all the time for another team.

I’m pretty confident that the waivers are tied to merchandise sales.  Teams that need help moving their alternates are granted more opportunities to wear (and thereby promote) them.