MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

2 hours ago, dannykraft said:

Crew wearing black for MLS cup, kind of expected but still. very disappointed. Not only do I think the crew should wear their iconic all yellow for mls cup but I also think it would clash against Seattle's green.

I kinda expected thisūü§¨¬†As little as people have seen Seattle's secondary kit, also black, this would've been a good time to show it off.¬†

MLS: Columbus Crew SC at Seattle Sounders FC

In fact, they've already done yellow vs green this year. 

2 hours ago, dannykraft said:

Crew wearing black for MLS cup, kind of expected but still. very disappointed. Not only do I think the crew should wear their iconic all yellow for mls cup but I also think it would clash against Seattle's green.

That really sucks. Especially since when they last won the Cup, they did so in yellow.

4 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

That really sucks. Especially since when they last won the Cup, they did so in yellow.

They were in yellow the last time they lost the Cup, though, too (in 2015). And that’s their most recent Cup appearance before this one.

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I kinda expected thisūü§¨¬†As little as people have seen Seattle's secondary kit, also black, this would've been a good time to show it off.¬†

MLS: Columbus Crew SC at Seattle Sounders FC

In fact, they've already done yellow vs green this year. 

this should not have happened!

But, I guess the Crew have ceded yellow to Nashville after all. Interesting.

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Nope! Not at all! 

Take it up with your kit man, then!

10 minutes ago, BC985 said:

New championship designation system coming next season. I like the champions patch.

How many of these have we gone through, now? I prefer the patch to wacky mathematics with star symbols, at least.

14 minutes ago, Digby said:

Take it up with your kit man, then!

How many of these have we gone through, now? I prefer the patch to wacky mathematics with star symbols, at least.

MLS has the say, personally I think it should be the team designating a home kit and then the league only intervening when there's an issue between the kits. They also need to tell adidas that they need third kits as well. Not just for a couple teams, for everyone.

As far as champions badges, I think we're technically on number four since it started with the scudetto, then two different types of star patterns. I guess they're going with silver because of the 25th anniversary, but why not use gold? I also liked when the league champs got a different ball, normally silver, to play with from everyone else. 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/12/11/mls-cup-winners-get-commemorative-silver-crest-part-new-championship-designation

12 minutes ago, Digby said:

Yeah I could care less about the stars. Nobody remembers the system and I think few really care. 

16 minutes ago, BC985 said:

Yeah I could care less about the stars. Nobody remembers the system and I think few really care. 

I agree. Of course the champion’s fans would buy up new merchandise and possibly New Jersey’s as well with this change. 

35 minutes ago, BC985 said:

The only reason adidas and MLS have two types of jerseys for sale is to get people who want the stars on the kits to pay more. 

20 minutes ago, walkerws said:

I agree. Of course the champion’s fans would buy up new merchandise and possibly New Jersey’s as well with this change. 

To be fair, if Columbus wins, I might buy the jersey. Unfortunately the better looking kit won't be the one that would be available. 

18 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

MLS decides but teams can petition to wear one kit or the other.

So is it the big Adidas shoulder stripes that are being prioritized? Allegedly that league wide element was a nod to this MLS25 season, so maybe they wanted both teams showing off that look for the season finale? Whatever the reason, I'd much prefer the Crew in yellow. 

I was at the sounders-crew game earlier this year (last game before everything got really covidy) and I remember commenting that I didn't expect yellow v. rave green to work, but it did. There was plenty of contrast. And it wasn't the first time the two clubs had gone with that uniform matchup, so the black kit isn't necessarily clash related (although, yes, it does provide additional contrast).  

2 minutes ago, DPHF said:

So is it the big Adidas shoulder stripes that are being prioritized? Allegedly that league wide element was a nod to this MLS25 season, so maybe they wanted both teams showing off that look for the season finale? Whatever the reason, I'd much prefer the Crew in yellow. 

I was at the sounders-crew game earlier this year (last game before everything got really covidy) and I remember commenting that I didn't expect yellow v. rave green to work, but it did. There was plenty of contrast. And it wasn't the first time the two clubs had gone with that uniform matchup, so the black kit isn't necessarily clash related (although, yes, it does provide additional contrast).  

Since seeing the abomination that was the All Star jersey for this year, I'm pretty sure that's the case. 

MLS All Star 2020 Kit Leaked - To Be Never Released - Footy Headlines