coco1997

Now that the Brewers and Padres are "fixed," which MLB team is next?

Now that the Padres and Brewers have unveiled new identity packages which have, for the most part, been very well received by most of us on these forums, which Major League Baseball team do you feel is now most due for an identity refresh?

Personally, I would look out West to the AL. I feel the Mariners, Angels and Rangers identities are all beginning to look a bit stale and could use a freshening up. Frankly I'm a bit surprised the Rangers did not announce a uniform update this winter to coincide with their moving to Globe Life Field in 2020. 

This thread is meant to discuss which MLB teams you feel are most in need of an update, and to offer suggestions as to how you would go about changing their current look.

Mariners are past due for something new and unorthodox, but I'm not sure what. I've wondered whether they could pull off a Japanese League-inspired package somehow.

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Mariners are past due for something new and unorthodox, but I'm not sure what. I've wondered whether they could pull off a Japanese League-inspired package somehow.

I've long felt the Mariners need to simplify their wordmarks and adopt a brighter shade of teal. 

The Marlins threw back to the Florida Marlins days, and even used that logo for the 25th anniversary set. I have a gut (reckless speculation) feeling that they will move more in that direction, which would be awesome.

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I've been waiting for them to embrace color, specifically a lighter teal. Modernize the '77-'80 font with some tiny adjustments and you're set!

l1kmkWP.png

Apologies for the repost, but this is what I have in mind. Nothing too crazy or far away from what they have, but cleaner, more colorful, and no Friz Quadrata (Matrix's fraternal twin).

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The Brewers.  😛 

Heh. I'm sorry I got a little pissy with you, Gothamite. I've not been feeling so amazing lately.

But still, you are right about that Brewers set needing tweaking. Stay tuned in concepts. :) 

If I'm going to add my names to the list, I'm just hoping MOD EDIT gets an overhaul at some point. Even if they keep the name, just redoing the awful script to look more "natural" and restoring the 1947 color balance across the set would be lovely.

Edited by SFGiants58

Honestly I'd love to see the Mariners take on an NPB-inspired look, including a colored away jersey like the Padres now have. That said, the Rangers also need something new, but my choice is Cleveland. Start with the name, and modernize everything about it. Start fresh, new colors, new name, new everything. Take the opportunity to really do something bold. 

The Rockies need to figure their crap out.  Either embrace purple all the way or don't (and either way ditch the hideous black vest).

2 minutes ago, LMU said:

The Rockies need to figure their crap out.  Either embrace purple all the way or don't (and either way ditch the hideous black vest).

Agreed 100%. It’s crazy to me that the Rockies have remained almost completely unchanged over the past 25 years while the other three ‘90s expansions teams have each undergone multiple dramatic redesigns.

42 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

The Twins are an ugly, inconsistent mess.

Oh f--k, I completely forgot about them.

Just do a modernized '60s design, a modernized Metrodome-era look (with road pinstripes and a home-style "Minnesota" wordmark), or something entirely new with light blue or "wheat" accents. Just be cohesive.

2 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Honestly I'd love to see the Mariners take on an NPB-inspired look, including a colored away jersey like the Padres now have. That said, the Rangers also need something new, but my choice is Cleveland. Start with the name, and modernize everything about it. Start fresh, new colors, new name, new everything. Take the opportunity to really do something bold. 

Plenty of candidates but I agree. Do we know what the plan is next season? C on the sleeve? Blank sleeves? Not a fan of the new plain navy jersey and the Block C still seems flat.

As you said, new name and then build something unique from there. Try colors that aren't worn by half the league maybe? Haven't seen a concept that wowed me yet.

Rays, Indians, Rangers, Twins, Rockies, Reds, and Mariners come to mind.

I wanna say the Marlins as well, but it's a bit early so I'd give it another two years or so.

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Heh. I'm sorry I got a little pissy with you, Gothamite. I've not been feeling so amazing lately.

But still, you are right about that Brewers set needing tweaking. Stay tuned in concepts. :) 

No apology needed.  Still pals.  😁

And I can’t wait to see what you come up with.  

Rockies, Mariners, Rangers in that order.  So much potential for all three, but currently lacking the execution.

Phillies in Maroon

Hopefully the road uniform is grey and Powder Blue is an alternate. 

In the past few years, we have had what are, to some extent, modernisations of designs from the teams' histories.  We have seen this happen with the Mets, Orioles, Blue Jays, and Astros, and now with the Padres and Brewers.  This is truly a wonderful period.

The teams that most need to follow this good example are the Angels and the Twins.

The Angels should grasp that this is their best and most memorable design:

parker-angels.jpg Image result for bert blyleven california angels         

...in terms of the wordmark, the cap design, and the cap logo.

And the Twins must accept that they got it 100% right in 1987. This includes the M cap, the lack of player names on the home uniform, and the non-cursive road wordmark.

Image result for minnesota twins morris    Image result for minnesota twins 1992   

This uniform, which lasted at home until 2015 (with the matching cap until 2001), is absolutely unassailable.

Even the cursive-based road uniform is tolerable. The wordmark is far too long for cursive; and that damn tail needs to be connected! But the overall look is saved by the contrasting-colour number on both the front and back.

636420636283798367-USP-MLB-MINNESOTA-TWINS-AT-CLEVELAND-INDIANS-94135110.JPG?width=3200&height=1680&fit=crop

While I know that we'll never be rid of that stupid TC logo entirely, the logo should defiintely not be on the hat.  It works best as a sleeve logo.

Image result for mahomes donruss 1992