MLS Chicago Fire FC Reveal Disappointing New Logo

Sodboy13

43 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Am I the only one who finds it pathetic how hard MLS teams try to look and feel like European soccer teams? Say what you want about the '90s identities/names, many of them were goofy as hell, but at least they weren't pretending to be something they aren't.

There was nothing wrong with the Fire's old logo. It just didn't look enough like a European soccer logo for the league's current sensibilities, so it had to be changed to this crap. I'm just surprised they didn't change the team's name to something like "Chicago City United FC" while they were at it.

The previous logo feels much more European than this garbage.

And mls teams should strive to look “European” because that’s how soccer teams are supposed to look. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

I'm just surprised they didn't change the team's name to something like "Chicago City United FC" while they were at it.

They were floating the idea of changing the name to "Chicago City FC" this year, when the move to Soldier Field was seen as probable, but had not been confirmed yet.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I can't stand it when anyone takes an absolutist stance on European/International names vs. North American names. By now there have enough of examples of each that work and don't work.  If nothing else, it proves these things are a lot more nuanced than simply favoring one over the other.

One things for certain though... a name change never needed to be considered for the Chicago Fire.

4 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Am I the only one who finds it pathetic how hard MLS teams try to look and feel like European soccer teams? Say what you want about the '90s identities/names, many of them were goofy as hell, but at least they weren't pretending to be something they aren't.

This is not a unique or interesting opinion at all. It comes up every time someone who doesn't pay attention to MLS decides to drop in for a moment.

MLS' greatest success has come after they switch from Americanizing the league to following more traditional norms of the sport. And that includes the names. Yes, it's goofy that so many teams are FC when the league isn't MLF, but for the people who enjoy the teams the league, it's just fine.

This was done as a joke, but not too far from what MLS 1.0 was all about:

We should be happy the league found its sanity.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Soccer is constantly being touted as "the world's game". It's global reach and history are purportedly part and parcel of its appeal. If soccer is truly the global phenomena that it's made out to be, we must recognize the history and traditions - including team branding conventions - of all of the teams in all of the nations in which it has been played. Yes, the likes of Central Coast Mariners FC, Football Club Pohang Steelers, Orlando Pirates FC, Urawa Red Diamonds, and Wellington Phoenix FC included.

Nobody is advocating for MLS to be comprised entirely of Calgary Boomers, Hartford Bicentennials, Miami Gatos, Oakland Stompers, San Diego Jaws and Washington Diplomats. Rather, it would be nice if a certain segment of U.S. and Canadian pro soccer supporters would concede that it doesn't jeopardize Major League Soccer's legitimacy as a competition to have official names such as Colorado Rapids, Columbus Crew SC, LA Galaxy, Montréal Impact, New England Revolution, Portland Timbers, San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders FC, and Vancouver Whitecaps FC gracing member-franchises. 

31 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Rather, it would be nice if a certain segment of U.S. and Canadian pro soccer supporters would concede that it doesn't jeopardize Major League Soccer's legitimacy as a competition to have official names such as Colorado Rapids, Columbus Crew SC, LA Galaxy, Montréal Impact, New England Revolution, Portland Timbers, San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders FC, and Vancouver Whitecaps FC gracing member-franchises. 

I rarely, if ever, see people attacking these names. Far more often I see people taking the tired, over-played approach of attacking names like Toronto FC, Sporting KC, LAFC, and the like. 

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

it would be nice if a certain segment of U.S. and Canadian pro soccer supporters would concede that it doesn't jeopardize Major League Soccer's legitimacy as a competition to have official names such as Colorado Rapids, Columbus Crew SC, LA Galaxy, Montréal Impact, New England Revolution, Portland Timbers, San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders FC, and Vancouver Whitecaps FC gracing member-franchises. 

Good thing nobody is saying that, then.  :rolleyes:

46 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I rarely, if ever, see people attacking these names. Far more often I see people taking the tired, over-played approach of attacking names like Toronto FC, Sporting KC, LAFC, and the like. 

Sporting and Real are stupid though.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

3 hours ago, NicDB said:

I can't stand it when anyone takes an absolutist stance on European/International names vs. North American names. By now there have enough of examples of each that work and don't work that prove, if nothing else, that it's a lot more nuanced than simply favoring one over the other.

Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver seem to be among the strongest markets in the league, and they have nice intuitive North American names (even if there are FCs or SCs appended to them, I don't remember). I think a lot of singular/collective nouns work for soccer because they end up being a nice middle way between City Nicknames and City FC: Union, United, Galaxy, even "Chicago Fire" is fine as a product of its time. But if you think "ray-AL Salt Lake" is anything but the dopiest Europosing around then I don't know what to tell you.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think the Fire works in large part because you could actually conceive of seeing a club by the name of Chicago Fire F.C. in the standings of a 1920s newspaper. And probably assume it was a team of local firemen. Which is also part of what made the OG badge so great (to me, anyway).

Sporting only makes sense if you actually make use of the name and have other sports teams, like rugby or lacrosse. As of now, SKC doesn't have any of the other teams, and as such, hasn't earned its name. Real Salt Lake will never earn its name.

the user formerly known as cdclt

25 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I think the Fire works in large part because you could actually conceive of seeing a club by the name of Chicago Fire F.C. in the standings of a 1920s newspaper.

Yeah, I think that was what I was trying to say but couldn't articulate. It's kind of like an MLS version of Crystal Palace. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

IDK, all Real Madrid needed was the blessing of the King of Spain

Yeah, but RSL got its blessing from Real Madrid, not the Spanish King. Maybe if it was Royal Salt Lake it would be acceptable, but they're clearly trying to imitate Real Madrid. The name "Real" has no connection to Utah or Salt Lake.

the user formerly known as cdclt

6 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

From where I'm sitting, "attacking names like Toronto FC, Sporting KC, LAFC, and the like" is no more "tired" over "over-played" than contending that the adoption of international-style team branding conventions has been as important to Major League Soccer's increased success as other far more crucial steps. And believe me, I've seen and heard people try - with conviction and sincerity - to make that claim.   

The construction of soccer-specific stadia, the adoption of IFAB rules, the establishment of the Designated Player rule, the signing of a television deal that actually paid the league rights fees, the hiring of full-time professional referees, the selling of ad space on the front of jerseys... these were the achievements in MLS development that established a sound footing for the league and fueled the growth - both as a business entity and in terms of popularity - that it has experienced over the past 12 to 15 years. And none of said landmarks had anything to do with the style of names that MLS teams were sporting.

So long as all of the milestones I've just enumerated took place, every single team in MLS  could be taking to the field with a name like Fire, Rapids, Crew, Galaxy, Impact, Revolution,Timbers, Earthquakes, Sounders, or Whitecaps and the league would be just fine. It would not matter if MLS didn't have a single United, FC, SC, Dynamo, Real, Sporting, City, or Inter in the bunch. The team names simply haven't impacted the success of the league to the degree that we, as sports branding enthusiasts, might be prone to think that they have.

Which is why the 24-team Major League Soccer sits poised to see an additional five franchises enter competition over the next three years, with the announcement of a 30th team a foregone conclusion. And it matters not one iota what soccer branding convention any of them adopts. Well, short of dubbing the team something akin to Waza Flo.                   

Yeah, but RSL got its blessing from Real Madrid, not the Spanish King. Maybe if it was Royal Salt Lake it would be acceptable, but they're clearly trying to imitate Real Madrid. The name "Real" has no connection to Utah or Salt Lake.

Unless you go with a "Utah as God's Kingdom" concept.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The team names simply haven't impacted the success of the league to the degree that we, as sports branding enthusiasts, might be prone to think that they have.

I’m not actually sure that’s the case. 

Yes, you list a long line of strategic developments that have lifted MLS to where it is today.  And those are important.  But I also think that one additional factor is the move towards traditional football names, which matters to a lot of many existing fans of the sport.  If you want to reach out to fans of international clubs, you tap into that tradition.  Just as adopting a legacy identity like “San Jose Earthquakes” helps you tap into a different market than “San Jose Clash”.

Now, a lot of this really is chicken-and-egg.  But I do not doubt that there are football fans who started taking the league more seriously when the league started taking itself more seriously.  And that meant, in part, losing the silly 90s names.

Archived