Jump to content

MLS Chicago Fire FC Reveal Disappointing New Logo


Sodboy13
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Looking at all of this, I feel like I owe Brandiose an apology because not even they would be so stupid and tone deaf as to mimic the iconography of a street gang whose ethnicity is explicitly unwelcome at games.

 

Hang on there.

 

Yes, the Fire de-certified their Latino supporters group.  Because the group repeatedly and purposely broke the rules they agreed to follow.  They started fights on stadium grounds, they lit prohibited pyrotechnics in the stands, and they publicly flouted a ban. 

 

That's not anti-Latino, that's pro-sanity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

Hang on there.

 

Yes, the Fire de-certified their Latino supporters group.  Because the group repeatedly and purposely broke the rules they agreed to follow.  They started fights on stadium grounds, they lit prohibited pyrotechnics in the stands, and they publicly flouted a ban. 

 

That's not anti-Latino, that's pro-sanity.

 

That said, the move out of Bridgeview, while generally good, is seen as a move to get a whiter fan base.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is some delicious hot garbage. 

I think I have a more heated opinion about this primarily because going to Sox and Fire games were the two sports teams I was reliably able to see in the late 90s, early 2000s. I can still rattle off a surprising amount of the '98 team without cheating and reflecting back on that nostalgia makes me miss those Saturday summer nights watching the first generation of Fire players battle under humid skies with the skyline twinkling behind a pre-spaceship Soldier Field. It's one of the earlier memories I have with bonding with my dad and despite this abomination, I'll always have that to reflect on.

I've only been out to see them once at Toyota Park since those days and while I have several grievances with MLS and why I've lost interest over the years, the colors chosen is the most egregious offense for me. Chicago has one of the Top 5 rated flags in the world and you go against baby blue and white, making the Red Stars be the better branded soccer team in the city? God, I sincerely hope some people in that initial meeting broke up the groupthink and had the courage to say Chicago didn't need a "FC" rebranding. Sure, change the font and freshen up the fire emblem, but goddamn folks, how do you mess up this badly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, RichO said:

That said, the move out of Bridgeview, while generally good, is seen as a move to get a whiter fan base.

 

That would be pretty silly, since Bridgeview is 87% white.  Hell, the percentage of Italian-Americans is about the same as Hispanic-Americans in Bridgeview.  😆

 

Moving into Chicago proper, moving into a stadium within walking distance of an L, is almost certain to make the club more accessible to a diverse crowd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

That would be pretty silly, since Bridgeview is 87% white.  Hell, the percentage of Italian-Americans is about the same as Hispanic-Americans in Bridgeview.  😆

 

Moving into Chicago proper, moving into a stadium within walking distance of an L, is almost certain to make the club more accessible to a diverse crowd.


Bridgeview proper, sure. But it's pretty convenient to Cicero and Berwyn. That whole area is one of the most Latino in Cook County. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This isn’t really to toot my own horn but really just to emphasize how bad the new brand is and how little effort went into it. I despised the new look so much that I had to take matters into my own hands. This took me all of about 2 hours:

 

spacer.png

 

Retains the classic colors (while even adding in a third, new but familiar city color). Plays up the Chicago star design which was present on the old crest. Doesn’t introduce gaudy colors (yellow) that cheapen the brand. Has a classic look that could stand the test of time unlike whatever the hell they revealed today. Allows them to evolve their existing brand into the future while respecting the past. This would freshen things up and we’d still see their classic red kits with the white chest hoop. Instead, we got a steaming pile of crap that looked outdated the second they hit publish on the press release. Was this so hard?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MLS Chicago Fire FC Reveal Disappointing New Logo

November 21, 2019 - 22:36 PM

Welp. They can’t all be winners. This morning, the Chicago Fire of Major League Soccer unveiled their new logo, colour scheme, and name (they’re now Chicago Fire FC)… all of which were met largely with disappointment and disbelief from fans […]

Read More...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dynamo Houston had to back out of a tone-deaf rebrand semi-recently, didn't they? As I recall, that was just an issue with 1836 being too emotionally charged for Mexicans who don't like that Texas broke off from Mexico. This is accidentally a gang symbol. I think that's much worse.

 

On 11/20/2019 at 4:31 PM, the admiral said:

The Brewers' "we centered the baseball because it's the center of what we do" could only hope to prepare us for what's next.

It didn't!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Dynamo Houston had to back out of a tone-deaf rebrand semi-recently, didn't they? As I recall, that was just an issue with 1836 being too emotionally charged for Mexicans who don't like that Texas broke off from Mexico. This is accidentally a gang symbol. I think that's much worse.

 

It didn't!

 

The merchandising alone is so much more advanced for 2020 MLS compared with 15 years earlier. And this is also a league that regularly saddles new clubs with men’s-league catalog teamwear shirts for their first year. They’ve gotta be stuck with this albatross for at least a year...?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Digby said:

 

The merchandising alone is so much more advanced for 2020 MLS compared with 15 years earlier.

 

And yet, look at everything on display in this tweet. We're gonna need some damn PANTONE values here, because the crown has been called gold, the mothership's news story calls it orange, and here in the merch it looks yellow, and the blue looks purple. All of this is a shambles.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.