DNAsports

2020 NASCAR Season Thread

Matt DiBenedetto once again gets tormented by Hamlin.

Poor guy.

And the cherry on top? Matt gets sissykicked in the back of the head by NASCAR. Both he AND Chase Elliott get penalized, but not Hamlin. Yes, Hamlin got forced below the yellow line. But, on the white flag lap, as long as it's not deliberate or malicious; you should be able to block. What on Earth was Matt supposed to do? See Byron coming and wave him on by? NO! He's trying to block like his life depends on it! Like the win depends on it! That's what you gotta do in those kinds of situations!

NASCAR, wake up and realize that no one likes the same drivers in Victory Lane. Yes; I understand Hamlin is trying to win, and that's his job. He's paid to race and to win races.

But, gah. Two drivers have won about 15 races combined. No one, outside of Harvick and Hamlin fans like this.

THE DOUBLE YELLOW LINE RULE HAS GOT TO GO. Either enforce it to the letter of the law regardless or get rid of it because of ambiguity (as to being forced, or purposely going down there).

EDIT: The penalty originally assessed to Chase has been reassigned to the #17 of Chris Buescher.

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Alex Bowman has been announced as the driver of the 48 for 2021+

Greg Ives, Bowman's current crew chief, will be moving to the 48 as well. This makes me think the 88 is simply getting rebranded to the 48, similar to how the 24 became the 9 and the 5 became the 24 when Byron moved into the Cup Series. 

With the rumors of Kyle Larson being picked up by Hendrick picking up in recent days and weeks, I could see a return of the 5, 25, or the old Busch Series 57 Hendrick used to run with Brian Vickers in the Busch Series:

The 57 also has significance with Larson as that is his dirt number:

2020-WoO-Knoxville-June-13-Kyle-Larson-A

Is there any significance to moving Bowman to the 48?  Is there a difference between the teams beyond Gordon's co-ownership of the 48 or is it just more prestigious, for lack of a better term?

2 hours ago, See Red said:

Is there any significance to moving Bowman to the 48?  Is there a difference between the teams beyond Gordon's co-ownership of the 48 or is it just more prestigious, for lack of a better term?

It makes the most sense out of all the potential scenarios. Sure they could’ve shelved the 48 in favor of dusting off the 5 or 25, but they’re treating it the same way as they did with the 24.

I don't really watch the sport and I'm sure there's a financial reason for it, but I hate seeing the 24 on the track and Jeff Gordon not driving it. I'm sure sponsors love to be on the 24, but I wish they had just retired it.

16 hours ago, See Red said:

Ally wanted to stay on the 48, but they also preferred Bowman over whoever they end up signing (it's almost certainly going to be Larson). Now, Hendrick gets their guy, Ally's happy, and Bowman gets some job security. They'll probably be able to piece sponsorship together for Larson, since all of the current 88 sponsors will likely be staying and at least one company will take the PR hit to sponsor a car that likely finds multiple trips to victory lane.

I think Bowyer was on the outside looking in anyway. It was either him or Almirola who were going to go, but I think Aric still has another year or two left in him.

1 hour ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I think Bowyer was on the outside looking in anyway. It was either him or Almirola who were going to go, but I think Aric still has another year or two left in him.

Now the question becomes... Who gets the 14? I was all for DiBenedetto until I read he inked a new one year extension with Wood Brothers just yesterday. Does Erik Jones get the call? Kyle Larson is supposedly the favorite for Hendrick, but I wouldn’t count out Stewart-Haas. Could we see Corey LaJoie catch a big break and pilot the 14?

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Now the question becomes... Who gets the 14? I was all for DiBenedetto until I read he inked a new one year extension with Wood Brothers just yesterday. Does Erik Jones get the call? Kyle Larson is supposedly the favorite for Hendrick, but I wouldn’t count out Stewart-Haas. Could we see Corey LaJoie catch a big break and pilot the 14?

It's gotta be Chase Briscoe, given he's got 8 wins in NXS this season for SHR and if Bowyer wasn't going he was going to be as good as gone to another Cup ride after this year's performance

Chase Elliott must love next year's schedule with all those road courses.

1 hour ago, See Red said:

Chase Elliott must love next year's schedule with all those road courses.

Won his 4th straight and now has a 42% career winning percentage on road courses.

Michael Jordan & Denny Hamlin officially unveiled their team name, logo, and car number today

23XI Racing (read as “twenty-three eleven”)-

spacer.png
spacer.png

- Car number is 23

- Car manufacturer (likely Toyota) yet to be announced

- Sponsorship yet to be announced 

Manufacturer can’t be anything but Toyota, sponsorship will atleast be beats by Dre, and DoorDash coming with bubba Wallace. I can see a few more coming to fill dates

On 10/23/2020 at 5:39 PM, dont care said:

Manufacturer can’t be anything but Toyota, sponsorship will atleast be beats by Dre, and DoorDash coming with bubba Wallace. I can see a few more coming to fill dates

He has a deal with Columbia Sportswear and Root Insurance just released a commercial featuring Wallace in a race car. I’m wondering if CashApp will follow him as well.

Kyle Larson has signed a multi-year contract with Hendrick Motorsports and will drive the No. 5 car.

Meaning the the race team has officially shelved the No. 88