2020 NASCAR Season Thread

DCarp1231

Going into the final race of the season, the only driver in the top 5 in points who isn't in the so-called Championship Four is the actual points leader. 

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse when I say this, but seriously, :censored: the Playoffs.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Going into the final race of the season, the only driver in the top 5 in points who isn't in the so-called Championship Four is the actual points leader. 

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse when I say this, but seriously, :censored: the Playoffs.

Yeah, it does suck.  On the plus side, I guess, the :censored:ty system gave him a championship he would not have won otherwise -- so he's even.

The real crime is the Chase and everything that's come since they implemented it robbed us of potential 7-time champ Jeff Gordon.

IUe6Hvh.png

On 11/6/2020 at 2:15 PM, See Red said:

Yeah, it does suck.  On the plus side, I guess, the :censored:ty system gave him a championship he would not have won otherwise -- so he's even.

The real crime is the Chase and everything that's come since they implemented it robbed us of potential 7-time champ Jeff Gordon.

Harvick is actually tied for "biggest loser" with Gordon. In a full season points format Harvick wins the title in 2010, 2015, 2016, and now 2020. Gordon, like you said, would've gotten 3 more (2004, 2007, 2014) and become a 7 time champion. Both are at a net 3 championships lost due to the Chase. 

With that said, congrats to Chase Elliott! I'll never like him as a driver, and I'll never like this format, but he really stepped up when it counted. Won at Martinsville, won at Phoenix, won the championship. In a few years people will look back and say it was one of the most clutch performances ever. 

ExJworW.png

2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Harvick is actually tied for "biggest loser" with Gordon. In a full season points format Harvick wins the title in 2010, 2015, 2016, and now 2020. Gordon, like you said, would've gotten 3 more (2004, 2007, 2014) and become a 7 time champion. Both are at a net 3 championships lost due to the Chase. 

With that said, congrats to Chase Elliott! I'll never like him as a driver, and I'll never like this format, but he really stepped up when it counted. Won at Martinsville, won at Phoenix, won the championship. In a few years people will look back and say it was one of the most clutch performances ever. 

Ohhh, I hadn't considered the other years Harvick might have won.  And Jimmie would have how many... two?

Chase is my guy so I'm pretty happy he won, but I hate the format too.

IUe6Hvh.png

3 minutes ago, See Red said:

Ohhh, I hadn't considered the other years Harvick might have won.  And Jimmie would have how many... two?

Chase is my guy so I'm pretty happy he won, but I hate the format too.

Jimmie would have 3 (2006, 2009, 2013). He's undoubtably still a great driver, but he definitely benefitted the most from the Chase's existence with an astounding +4 net gain. Just goes to show how much he and Chad Knaus were able to pick it up in crunch time.

ExJworW.png

Archived