2020 NASCAR Season Thread

DCarp1231

21 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I can read, thanks. I was referring to the limited gatherings NC has in order. Right now the max is 50 people, of which 80% would be the drivers alone, but the crew chiefs, pit crew, and NASCAR officials also have to show up, which pushes it way over 50. How are they planning to get around that?

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, QCS said:

I can read, thanks. I was referring to the limited gatherings NC has in order. Right now the max is 50 people, of which 80% would be the drivers alone, but the crew chiefs, pit crew, and NASCAR officials also have to show up, which pushes it way over 50. How are they planning to get around that?

From NASCAR’s website:

NASCAR officials have collaborated with public health officials, medical experts and local, state and federal officials to create a comprehensive plan to ensure the health and safety of competitors and surrounding communities at the above events. All races will be strictly tailored, in every way, to follow specific guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Event procedures will be significantly modified in accordance with CDC, OSHA and state and local government recommendations — including hosting one-day shows at the above tracks, which are all within driving distance of North Carolina race shops to minimize travel and time spent in a community.

4 minutes ago, QCS said:

Well, it seems they have a plan. I guess it's better than nothing but I still think it's way premature to start any sport up again.

I’d argue that NASCAR is probably the safest risk at being able to start up again. There really isn’t a whole lot of person-to-person contact while the races actually take place to begin with. Plus, the extra precautionary steps help.

12 minutes ago, QCS said:

Well, it seems they have a plan. I guess it's better than nothing but I still think it's way premature to start any sport up again.

Agreed. NASCAR going to be an interesting test case. On the bright side, NASCAR without fans won't seem nearly as weird as the other sports will. It's not like we can hear NASCAR fans on TV. 

BB52Big.jpg

10 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I’d argue that NASCAR is probably the safest risk at being able to start up again. There really isn’t a whole lot of person-to-person contact while the races actually take place to begin with. Plus, the extra precautionary steps help.

I agree it's probably the safest as of now, but still very premature.

3 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Agreed. NASCAR going to be an interesting test case. On the bright side, NASCAR without fans won't seem nearly as weird as the other sports will. It's not like we can hear NASCAR fans on TV. 

Yep, seeing empty NASCAR races isn't exactly new, as much as I enjoy the sport.

the user formerly known as cdclt

3 hours ago, QCS said:

Yep, seeing empty NASCAR races isn't exactly new, as much as I enjoy the sport.

It will be like watching your average Truck race. It's probably way too soon to start back up, but I'd be lying if I said I was anything other than thrilled to have NASCAR back. 

BB52Big.jpg

NASCAR is taking a virtual trip to North Wilkesboro on Saturday, as the last iRacing event (I think).

People want NASCAR to go back there; but everyone is glossing over the fact the millions upon millions of dollars the track needs to get up to current code. And look at Rockingham. All that track needed was SFAER barriers, and all they could attract were the Trucks.

Honestly, you're going to be better off completely starting from scratch at North Wilkesboro, then trying to refurbish the track and the surrounding area. It would take less time, and cost less money. Probably. (Maybe not on the time side of things...)

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

13 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

NASCAR is taking a virtual trip to North Wilkesboro on Saturday, as the last iRacing event (I think).

People want NASCAR to go back there; but everyone is glossing over the fact the millions upon millions of dollars the track needs to get up to current code. And look at Rockingham. All that track needed was SFAER barriers, and all they could attract were the Trucks.

Honestly, you're going to be better off completely starting from scratch at North Wilkesboro, then trying to refurbish the track and the surrounding area. It would take less time, and cost less money. Probably. (Maybe not on the time side of things...)

Rockingham needed more than safer barriers, the asphalt needed to be totally repacked after being over run with weeds from no use. 

On 4/30/2020 at 3:47 PM, DNAsports said:

I mean the teams all have helmets on, the drivers are in their own little boxes with helmets on, the owners and such their team can wear masks on the control boxes. It really is the best designed sport other than Golf for a pandemic. Provided the fans aren't there as they won't be. NASCAR fans are the opposite...

• 2 weeks later...

I kind of miss iRacing. 😐

These races are too damn long. The broadcast started an hour and a half ago and we're about 1/4 of the way through. Meanwhile F1 knocks out races in two hours.

IUe6Hvh.png

Harvick won. It's almost like we never left.

Not saying I was anticipating a huge surprise winner or anything...

The random draw was weird because you saw a few back markers sprinkled within the Top 20; a place you normally wouldn't see them.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

5 hours ago, dont care said:

This race really is a drag, lots of cautions, drivers and crews are rusty and a hard track to drI’ve to begin with and no practice time is really showing. 

Between the cautions, competition cautions, the stages, and just the general length of the race... it reminded me why I'd stopped watching NASCAR in the first place. The iRacing drew me back in as the first "sport" available during the COVID crisis, and frankly having seen the current state of the genuine article, I find myself missing the simulation racing. Two hours is a good time for a race, like Indycar runs. 4 hours like today... it's just too long. And having seen through iRacing a glimpse back to what life like it was before the arbitrary stopping nonsense of the stages and competition yellows... they need to go. Let them race. 

Competition cautions have been around since for as long as I can remember, and that's BEFORE 1979.

The stages were designed to bring fields back together, mostly due to the fact that NASCAR paid engineers haven't a clue as to how design cars which can race without that damn splitter.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

9 hours ago, Needschat said:

Competition cautions have been around since for as long as I can remember, and that's BEFORE 1979.

The stages were designed to bring fields back together, mostly due to the fact that NASCAR paid engineers haven't a clue as to how design cars which can race without that damn splitter.  

Why do they have to be brought back together artificially? If one or a group of guys is running away with it, so be it. Deligitimizes the sport IMO, and slows it down more than it already is due to overinflated race lengths anyway. 

22 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Why do they have to be brought back together artificially? If one or a group of guys is running away with it, so be it. Deligitimizes the sport IMO, and slows it down more than it already is due to overinflated race lengths anyway. 

I don't really buy that as the reason anyway.  Why do you need to bring the field back together at lap 80 of 250 or whatever when you know there's going to be more cautions to do it later?  The stages feel more to me like NASCAR recognizing the races are too long and people aren't watching races in their entirety as a result and then, rather fixing the actual problem that is the length of races, coming up with a way to make people watch the entire race and doing so in a way that actually makes them longer.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived