DNAsports

2020 NASCAR Season Thread

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

As far as moving events, are there even enough tracks outside of the Southeast to support the amount of races to be run in a season?  

NASCAR is really only relevant in the South. Sure, a lot of other places outside the South have race tracks but its not ingrained in the culture outside the South. So, leaving the South would be about the dumbest decision NASCAR could make. It would be like the NFL abandoning America.

Also, NGL, getting really sick of people :censored:ting on the South (and the Midwest to a lesser degree) because some asshat thought putting a noose in a garage is the height of humor. Most Southerners are not Klansmen, FYI. Most of us find that crap barbaric. Yeah, there are people who are virulent racists in the South but those people exist everywhere. Racism is something that plagues all of mankind.

Edited by Red Comet

It's not like racism doesn't exist in the northeast or the northwest or anywhere else. We just call it "zoning" and "public school funding" and "historic access to generational wealth."

I think one lesson of 2020 is that singular actions that used to be ignored or excused no longer are. I hope Nascar gets to the bottom of this and takes appropriate action. Given limited access to places during COVID, they should have a pretty clear list of potential suspects.

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Between this and the flags, if NASCAR cared, they'd just say "OK, no more events in the south" rather than catering to the "people" that they claim to expect mature behavior from.  The south will never change.  These beliefs are passed down from generation to generation, and for better or worse, NASCAR is synonymous with the south.  Sorry for anyone that doesn't think they fit that mold, but that's what the rest of the country will always feel about "dixie land".  

That was a little diffcult earlier this year, as they were trying to keep race sites close to the hub of Charlotte for travel purposes, where many (if not all) of the race shops are located.  Now the season is expanding out to other regions.

I believe the drivers are planning something as well.

edit: Also, fwiw, the #11 car pictured is sponsored by FedEx, which has put the National Civil Rights Museum in it place of its own branding as the sponsor.

The drivers and others pushing Bubba's car to the front of the grid.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

This is more than just a NASCAR investigation - the FBI and US Department of Justice are involved.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2020/06/22/justice-department-fbi-investigate-noose-bubba-wallaces-garage/3235453001/

Good. Let's find out who did this and make an example out of him/her. 

I don't know anything about racing, but who else can access the racing team's garage aside from the pit crew of the racer or maintenance/cleaning? Might help really narrow down who did this.

EDIT: I say the pit crew of Bubba Wallace because it's very possible that someone on his crew didn't like his stance and did it without anyone else's knowledge. 

Edited by Red Comet

40 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Good. Let's find out who did this and make an example out of him/her. 

I don't know anything about racing, but who else can access the racing team's garage aside from the pit crew of the racer or maintenance/cleaning? Might help really narrow down who did this.

EDIT: I say the pit crew of Bubba Wallace because it's very possible that someone on his crew didn't like his stance and did it without anyone else's knowledge. 

From my experience at the track it wouldn't have been terribly difficult for someone with a garage pass to roam around from stall to stall, especially if the 43 crew had not yet arrived. Usually garage stalls are assigned based on owners points, so someone easily could have known which stall was his and arrived extra early to put it there. Plus it isn't like the individual stalls are really closed off, they're all kinda "connected" under one roof and have openings for each team to access their space.

They should be able to narrow it down to anyone that has access to the garage, but it could have been from any number of crew members, track workers, or media members. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, selby56 said:

From my experience at the track it wouldn't have been terribly difficult for someone with a garage pass to roam around from stall to stall, especially if the 43 crew had not yet arrived. Usually garage stalls are assigned based on owners points, so someone easily could have known which stall was his and arrived extra early to put it there. Plus it isn't like the individual stalls are really closed off, they're all kinda "connected" under one roof and have openings for each team to access their space.

They should be able to narrow it down to anyone that has access to the garage, but it could have been from any number of crew members, track workers, or media members. 

Okay, that makes a lot more sense, thank you! So it could be anyone then. 

Edited by Red Comet

4 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Okay, that makes a lot more sense, thank you!

No problem!

Here is a visual as well to help explain how easy it would be for someone to go to another team's stall, for anyone else that might be reading here. One would think a security camera is installed to prevent crew members from tampering with other cars or their own car in the middle of the night. I guess we will just have to see what comes of it. 

The Latest: Larson wins playoff to race at Dover to advance - ABC News

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, selby56 said:

No problem!

Here is a visual as well to help explain how easy it would be for someone to go to another team's stall, for anyone else that might be reading here. One would think a security camera is installed to prevent crew members from tampering with other cars or their own car in the middle of the night. I guess we will just have to see what comes of it. 

The Latest: Larson wins playoff to race at Dover to advance - ABC News

Yeah, why the heck isn't there more security? Not even talking about hate crimes, just the whole "we're just leaving vehicles that have millions of dollars invested into them for anyone to potentially meddle with" is bizarre to me. Pretty sure "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't racin'" didn't just come out of the blue.

Edited by Red Comet

7 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Yeah, why the heck isn't there more security? Not even talking about hate crimes, just the whole "we're just leaving vehicles that have millions of dollars invested into them for anyone to potentially meddle with" is bizarre to me. Pretty sure "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't racin'" didn't just come out of the blue.

Well the garages are closed and locked when not in use, and pretty much any other time teams are going to have people around to watch the car and equipment, and then there is the number of track security around the track. There is no way it could be a fan, especially with the covid precautions, most likely a track worker since the teams haven’t done anything like this in the past handful of races and have so much to loose.

NASCAR's had awful luck with weather this year but this race should have been run at noon and this rain delay would have been avoided.

There's apparently a rumor on Twitter, perpetuated by a fake news article, that it was a serpentine belt mistaken for a noose.  Imagine being so unwilling to acknowledge racism that you accuse NASCAR mechanics of not knowing the difference between a rope and an automotive belt and that the FBI and DOJ get involved to sort it all out. 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

...and there are also plenty of us that have supported Bubba Wallace since he wore the "I Can't Breathe" shirt and campaigned to successfully get the Rebel flag banned from NASCAR events.

Unfortunately, the single racist :censored: that did this more than overshadows whatever positive energy has come from NASCAR drivers and supportive fans over the past 2 weeks.

it always that one person who ruin everything for everyone else.  

now was it a fan who happen to get into Bubba's garage or someone from NASCAR.  Both should be ban from NASCAR tracks for life.  

Edited by goalieboy82
updated

5 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

now was it a fan who happen to get into Bubba's garage or someone from NASCAR.  if it was a fan, they should be ban from NASCAR tracks for life.  

It shouldn't matter who it is. That person should be banned from NASCAR for life. I would even argue if that person has an immediate family, they should be banned as well. 

1 minute ago, DEAD! said:

It shouldn't matter who it is. That person should be banned from NASCAR for life. I would even argue if that person has an immediate family, they should be banned as well. 

i know for both, it was a long day at work and i am little tired so was trying to write down what was on my mind at the time.  

1 hour ago, goalieboy82 said:

now was it a fan who happen to get into Bubba's garage or someone from NASCAR.  Both should be ban from NASCAR tracks for life.  

It wouldn’t be a fan, especially in the current environment. If it was a fan it was a fan with the best ninja skills to ever exist

This was a great moment after what was a great race.

I feel bad for anyone who watched today for the first time that goes into the doubleheader at Pocono next week with high expectations of how exciting a NASCAR race can be (well, the ending, anyways) because Pocono is awful.

4 hours ago, See Red said:

There's apparently a rumor on Twitter, perpetuated by a fake news article, that it was a serpentine belt mistaken for a noose.  Imagine being so unwilling to acknowledge racism that you accuse NASCAR mechanics of not knowing the difference between a rope and an automotive belt and that the FBI and DOJ get involved to sort it all out. 

It's the root of many a conspiracy theory. Instead of considering what they believe and how that might manifest itself in the real world, they have to craft a conspiracy of some sort that was actually perpetrated by the opposing side.