2020 NASCAR Season Thread

DCarp1231

15 hours ago, dont care said:

It is for useable purposes, I personally used that same knot every time I’ve gone fishing, many times on boats, and a handful of times in the army. Reason being is it’s an incredibly strong knot that won’t come undone even when trying to untie it is difficult.

This. It was probably a fisherman who tied that knot. I have never seen so many people be mad that a hate crime didn't happen before, though. Very surprising.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those last few laps of the Xfinity race were really fun. Seemd like every lap another car entered the fray and had a chance for the win until Cindric and Allmendinger got together.

This is a very specific memory but Justin Allgaier's car looked a lot like Casey Atwood's Muppets car from '03

• 2 weeks later...

How’s everyone liking the new number/sponsor placement? I honestly really like it. It’ll take some getting used to, but you’re not really losing much from a viewership standpoint.

As far as the lights on the rear of the cars, they’re really only useful for night races and they don’t even add much to the cars. I’d imagine this is just a one and done.

10 hours ago, DNAsports said:

How’s everyone liking the new number/sponsor placement? I honestly really like it. It’ll take some getting used to, but you’re not really losing much from a viewership standpoint.

As far as the lights on the rear of the cars, they’re really only useful for night races and they don’t even add much to the cars. I’d imagine this is just a one and done.

If the number HAS to be off-center, then I'd prefer it to be right behind the front tire, where the contingency decals used to be. But, if designers design the schemes right, it can work in front of the rear wheel. (See the 37, for example.)

As far as the underglow, it added nothing.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Underglow seemed like a fun idea but using the different colors to differentiate manufacturers rather than tying the color into the paint scheme is dumb.  People don't care that much about manufacturers and seeing red underneath the FedEx car while the McDonalds car had orange was a little annoying.

The numbers were poorly executed but they weren't awful in the few cases where it was done right.  In most cases it was dependent on the logo/wordmark since teams really just half-assed it.  WorldWide Technology logo on Bubba Wallace's car looked great.  But Cottonelle on Ricky Stenhouse Jr.'s car looked awful.  I actually prefer how they do it on the rear quarter panel for the eNascar Heat series to what they did last night, but it's better on some schemes (Interstate, TRD, Hendrick) than others (CAT, Dow), where the schemes are a bit lazy.

D7NKVT7WkAIrydM?format=jpg&name=small

IUe6Hvh.png

Huh. I liked the underglow lights (obviously for night races only) and thought the sponsor placement was okay. Like See Red said, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't - depended a lot on the sponsor logo. If the logo takes up a fairly square (think baseball cap) or slightly rectangular (2:3 height/width, think football helmet) amount of space, it works. If it's a long wordmark like many current quarter panel sponsors (look at Caterpillar and Interstate Batteries in the image above), it looks awful.

Absolutely no to car numbers on the rear quarter panel. Too hard to see. Either behind the front wheel or in front of the back one works.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

6 hours ago, See Red said:

Underglow seemed like a fun idea but using the different colors to differentiate manufacturers rather than tying the color into the paint scheme is dumb.  People don't care that much about manufacturers and seeing red underneath the FedEx car while the McDonalds car had orange was a little annoying.

The numbers were poorly executed but they weren't awful in the few cases where it was done right.  In most cases it was dependent on the logo/wordmark since teams really just half-assed it.  WorldWide Technology logo on Bubba Wallace's car looked great.  But Cottonelle on Ricky Stenhouse Jr.'s car looked awful.  I actually prefer how they do it on the rear quarter panel for the eNascar Heat series to what they did last night, but it's better on some schemes (Interstate, TRD, Hendrick) than others (CAT, Dow), where the schemes are a bit lazy.

D7NKVT7WkAIrydM?format=jpg&name=small

The problem with this is that cars don't usually have year-round sponsors. This means that sometimes week-to-week, a team will change a sponsor and/or a paint scheme. By doing that, the number becomes more important to identify the driver, and on the rear quarter like that, it gets lost.

Also, I've heard that the Gen-7 car will not have nearly as much room back there.

I still think the best solution for what NASCAR was trying to do is moving the number forward, rather than back

nascar-cup-preseason-thunder-2004-michael-waltrip.jpg

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

• 5 weeks later...

I'm enjoying them. It's different. They're obviously not perfect, but I like not having a caution for every small spin like you'd have on an oval. A few cars spin into the grass? Rub some dirt on it kid, get back out there.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Denny Hamlin & Bubba Wallace partnership confirmed. With a surprise inclusion-

spacer.png

NASCAR wasn't going to say no to Michael Jordan because of who it is.  Surprising? Yes.  But the fact that NASCAR is on board with this wasn't.  Having him on board is a good PR move for NASCAR and it could bring in other African American ownership of NASCAR teams.  

News about the 2021 schedule is slowly trickling out. So far it's been confirmed that Chicagoland and Kentucky will be losing their dates in all series, and that they will run the spring Bristol race on dirt. Road America, Circuit of the Americas, and a second Atlanta race are all but confirmed, as well as Texas getting the All-Star Race (in return for losing one of their regular dates to COTA). Many other rumors have been floating around, ranging from Cup running the Indy road course instead of the oval to a new street race in Nashville with the same layout as Indycar's. The full schedule will be released tomorrow. Exciting times.

In other news, Chad Knaus will step down as crew chief following this year and will become Hendrick's Vice President of Competition. 

ExJworW.png

34 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

News about the 2021 schedule is slowly trickling out. So far it's been confirmed that Chicagoland and Kentucky will be losing their dates in all series, and that they will run the spring Bristol race on dirt. Road America, Circuit of the Americas, and a second Atlanta race are all but confirmed, as well as Texas getting the All-Star Race (in return for losing one of their regular dates to COTA). Many other rumors have been floating around, ranging from Cup running the Indy road course instead of the oval to a new street race in Nashville with the same layout as Indycar's. The full schedule will be released tomorrow. Exciting times.

In other news, Chad Knaus will step down as crew chief following this year and will become Hendrick's Vice President of Competition. 

NASCAR doing more road races is equal parts awesome and weird. It's awesome to see these drivers take on tougher courses... but it's weird to see cars that aren't built for road courses take on more of them. Especially a potential street based course like Nashville.

I never attended any of the cup races there but as much of a pain as it was to bring the Cup Series to Kentucky this seems strange to take it away so soon. I really hope NASCAR goes to some sort of rotating schedule for a few tracks. Like three of five get a race each year and they rotate around. I'd also love for the Championship race to be moved around more frequently.

I'd really like for three or four of the 1.5 mile tracks races to go away. There's no reason for Kansas to have two.

Archived