NFL face mask: gray vs color

Reyes47

I’m watching the bills and cowboys game and i noticed the bills have white face masks tonight rather than gray and i thought it looked so much better than gray 

what do you guys think? Do you think colors face masks are better? I think gray only works if it is part of the teams color scheme (cowboys, old eagles, etc) but really looks ugly when it’s not part of the color scheme 

DNqusZ2XUAASlIV.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gray works when it works, and doesn't when it doesn't.

If it's one of your colors or your look is very traditional/conservative (Colts, etc.) then it generally works.  If it's not one of your colors and your look is more contemporary / trashy (AZ Cardinals) then it can look silly.

Sometimes, even if it is one of your colors, it doesn't work.  IMO the Patriots look far better with red than gray.  Furthering the point that sometimes it works and other times it don't.

I'm not a big fan of white masks, but I think I like Buffalo better in white than gray.  I'd probably prefer them even more in blue, but would need to see it.

FWIW I far prefer Cleveland in gray masks vs brown.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Gray works when it works, and doesn't when it doesn't.

If it's one of your colors or your look is very traditional/conservative (Colts, etc.) then it generally works.  If it's not one of your colors and your look is more contemporary / trashy (AZ Cardinals) then it can look silly.

Sometimes, even if it is one of your colors, it doesn't work.  IMO the Patriots look far better with red than gray.  Furthering the point that sometimes it works and other times it don't.

I'm not a big fan of white masks, but I think I like Buffalo better in white than gray.  I'd probably prefer them even more in blue, but would need to see it.

True to that.  The teams that it works well for are the Cowboys, Raiders, 49ers.  Otherwise, do prefer the masks in colour.

I'd even say the Chiefs could pull it off.  Note that a few years ago I was firmly in the "if it ain't one of your colors, you shouldn't wear gray" camp, and wanted to fist fight - with my own fists - anyone who felt otherwise.  It's amazing what getting older does to a guy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'd even say the Chiefs could pull it off.  Note that a few years ago I was firmly in the "if it ain't one of your colors, you shouldn't wear gray" camp, and wanted to fist fight - with my own fists - anyone who felt otherwise.  It's amazing what getting older does to a guy.

I personally disagree. I’m fine with older framers using gray face masks but more often than not i like colored better. I actually like the black face masks for the browns and their current uniforms 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm one of the oldest guys on any of these boards, and I absolutely HATE gray masks.

Always have, always will.

22 minutes ago, TruColor said:

I'm one of the oldest guys on any of these boards, and I absolutely HATE gray masks.

Always have, always will.

And I'm only 32, and I love them.

Seriously. Grey facemaks for all teams wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for me.

With the Raiders and Cowboys, it's worth mentioning that they have a metallic silver shell and a flat grey facemask. I've heard a few times from people that these teams get a pass for having matching shells and facemasks, but they really don't. I'm not advocating for the teams to change it or anything, just really throwing it out there.

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The Bills wore blue facemasks in the late 70's and early 80's.  I though they looked better than the current gray masks or the white they wore today.

wVOPJHm.jpg

Really comes down to what works works and what doesn’t doesn’t. 

I like the get on the bills. 
I hate the white.

I‘d likely like blue. 

all comes down to what looks best. In this particular case, can’t make a blanket what is best for all. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

And I'm only 32, and I love them.

Seriously. Grey facemaks for all teams wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for me.

i’m sorry but no it would be the worst thing. How would gray face masks improve the helmets ?

59 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

i’m sorry but no it would be the worst thing. How would gray face masks improve the helmets ?

I think grey as a neutral colour would go with everything. Furthermore it wouldn't draw attention to itself, allowing the helmet colour, stripes, and logos stand for themselves. It's also just a great old timey football look.

Additionally? I think of it like this. Hockey helmets sometimes have cages. All goalie masks do. And these cages are VERY RARELY if, ever, colour-coded to match the uniforms. They're usually stock black or silver, because they're not viewed as "part" of the the uniform. They're just equipment. It might not be the worst idea to start viewing facemaks on football helmets like that.

White facemasks on white helmets aren't the worst thing in our dorky world or anything, but I definitely would prefer a contrast of some sort. Gray would be an easy choice that would work, especially if the Bills ever decide to start wearing red (with white pants please) a bit more. Arizona (the college one) should do the same, as should Miami (the college and professional ones).

27 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I think grey as a neutral colour would go with everything. Furthermore it wouldn't draw attention to itself, allowing the helmet colour, stripes, and logos stand for themselves. It's also just a great old timey football look.

Additionally? I think of it like this. Hockey helmets sometimes have cages. All goalie masks do. And these cages are VERY RARELY if, ever, colour-coded to match the uniforms. They're usually stock black or silver, because they're not viewed as "part" of the the uniform. They're just equipment. It might not be the worst idea to start viewing facemaks on football helmets like that.

sorry but i can’t draw the same comparisons. First off football helmets are plastics instead of metal. Second only goalies use cages for pretty obvious reason. I know minor league and women’s hockey use cages but i just feel hockey cages are fundamentally different from football face masks. They the same as actual cages. Face masks aren’t. This also doesn’t work since in the NHL goalies can customize their helmets however 

If football face masks were more like cages i wouldn’t care but the gray plastic just looks ugly to me when it doesn’t match a teams color scheme. White is a neutral color

32 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

BTW i just checked hockey and it seems most goalies in the NHL have colored face masks. 

Arizona-Coyotes-Louis-Domingue-goalie-ma

I assume you mean amateur/youth hockey like college with black or silver cages?

14 hours ago, Reyes47 said:

I assume you mean amateur/youth hockey like college with black or silver cages?

No. 

Goalie masks are a good mix of colour or stock silver/white/black, but player (ie not goaltender) cages remain stock colours, even at the NHL level. 

First off football helmets are plastics instead of metal.

So are hockey helmets, save for goalie helmets. Which are fibreglass. Regardless, I don't see the point. 

Second only goalies use cages for pretty obvious reason. 

Nope. Player cages aren't common in the NHL, but they still show up frequently enough. Usually if a player is nursing a facial injury. 

but the gray plastic just looks ugly to me when it doesn’t match a teams color scheme. White is a neutral color

Grey is just as neutral as white is, actually. 

Also, if grey plastic looks ugly to you? Cool. That's your opinion. One I do not share. 

BBTV hit it on the head with the first response. It works when it works and doesn't when it doesn't. Facemasks are probably the most subjective element to a team's uniform, to boot. I mean, I think most of us can agree with other aspects of uniforms in relation to their aesthetic: mono-color, or full leotard look is generally awfull; piping, as a trend in uniform design, is ugly and woefully outdated; and Nike, more times than not, has downgraded a team's look. 

I used to hate gray facemasks, but for some teams they work. While I prefer the 49ers with red, gray isn't obscene. Part of me wishes the Bears would go back to gray masks, same thing for the Vikings (although, I wonder if they could pull off yellow/gold, a la the Chargers). 

Oh, and the Browns look best with brown, then white, then gray. 

8 hours ago, Echo said:

The Bills wore blue facemasks in the late 70's and early 80's.  I though they looked better than the current gray masks or the white they wore today.

wVOPJHm.jpg

Wow, is that Darryl Talley? That is a perfect example of a "right team, wrong uniform".

Archived