Why do people love the orange Bucs?

Reyes47

I always see people say that the bucs should bring back their 70s uniforms. I don’t understand why when their 2000s not only look better but also have better memories for bucs fans as that is when they won the super bowl. The only memories of the orange is the nearly 2 year straight winless bucs and the fact they shipped Steve Young to the niners. Personally I think they should focus more on the 2000s uniforms the 70s uniforms just look so outdated and 70s. Alternates could be fine though 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Reyes47 said:

The only emperors of the orange

Pardon?

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

It was unique.

That's why I like it. It's unique, the bright colours fit Florida, and the Errol Flynn-esque logo stands out in a series of overly-aggressive primary marks.

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Indeed.  The current identity is an amateurish embarrassment.  The prior was solid, if a bit boring.  The original was utterly unique, a very different take on the pirate theme with a color scheme unlike anything else. 

then why did people hate it until now? How many teams do you know use Pewter? Also the pirate flag is way better than the pirate. Plus i just don’t think orange and red go well together. Just too loud

Id say the Jags previous uniforms were unique but i don’t see people using that as a good thing same with the bucs

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Pardon?

That's why I like it. It's unique, the bright colours fit Florida, and the Errol Flynn-esque logo stands out in a series of overly-aggressive primary marks.

but orange and red do not mix well. And aren’t logos suppose to be aggressive? Unique doesn’t always mean good

Pewter is unique. Orange is not. There are already 4 teams that use orange and one of those is another florida team. Plus what difference does it make when they wear white 80 percent of the time?

8 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

but orange and red do not mix well.

The orange being lighter helps a great deal.

8 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

And aren’t logos suppose to be aggressive? Unique doesn’t always mean good

Unique doesn't always equate to good, but it does in this case 😛

9 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

Plus what difference does it make when they wear white 80 percent of the time?

Well if it doesn't make a difference then we're all stupid for having opinions on the matter, aren't we? 😜

4 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The orange being lighter helps a great deal.

Unique doesn't always equate to good, but it does in this case 😛

Well if it doesn't make a difference then we're all stupid for having opinions on the matter, aren't we? 😜

if the giants changed their colors to red and orange would you be fine with that?

If the bucs originally wore red and pewter and changed to orange and red would you praise them? 

personally their super bowl look was easily the best. It was stupid to ever change them. They were unique but not gaudy like their current look. Also i thought you disliked colored face mask ;) 

2 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

if the giants changed their colors to red and orange would you be fine with that?

If the bucs originally wore red and pewter and changed to orange and red would you praise them? 

personally their super bowl look was easily the best. It was stupid to ever change them. They were unique but not gaudy like their current look. Also i thought you disliked colored face mask ;) 

You really like hypothetical questions.

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

You really like hypothetical questions.

fine ignore my question. All i’m saying is i don’t see anything wrong with their 2000s uniforms and again why did people hate the orange jerseys until recently? 

The bucs older jerseys seem like something you’d like. They’re pretty simple and straightforward with nothing gaudy or flashy

On 11/30/2019 at 10:08 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Why do you think that?

First off there is this nfl documentary about all the nfl teams colors and uniforms. A bit outdated since it was from 2008 but still fun to watch. First off they mock the Bucs old orange as much as they mock the 70s bucs in general. Not to mention there is a reason they changed it in the first place. It just feels way too 70s with the cream orange MOD REDACTED: No need for that type of language. 

a17053856489c2630e72ef11b3ad37d6.jpg

The 2000s uniforms were one of the few that felt timeless. Admittedly Nike did do the metallic pants way worse but they were still great. Again most bucs fans don’t have fond memories about the 70s bucs. If Nike needs to take inspiration anyway use the SUPER BOWL CHAMPION uniforms

6 hours ago, Reyes47 said:

I always see people say that the bucs should bring back their 70s uniforms. I don’t understand why when their 2000s not only look better but also have better memories for bucs fans as that is when they won the super bowl. The only memories of the orange is the nearly 2 year straight winless bucs and the fact they shipped Steve Young to the niners. Personally I think they should focus more on the 2000s uniforms the 70s uniforms just look so outdated and 70s. Alternates could be fine though 

First, let me hit the bolded. Real fans know the Buccaneers actually had some really good players--and memories--but that most all anyone else wants to talk about is 0-26, and most never even mention Steve Young, considering Doug Williams is the QB most spoken of as having gotten away, only to win a SB a few short years afterward. I'm just about positive you're far too young to remember Lee Roy Selmon, the Original Buccaneer, and if one doesn't know him I know one doesn't know Jimmie Giles, who for a pretty good spell there was one of the best tight ends in the game. Tampa really didn't turn horrible until after 1984, and that lasted up until around 1993, when Hardy Nickerson showed up via free agency from the Steelers--oh, and lets not forget ironman OL Paul Gruber, who aside from starting every game he played in, missed exactly zero snaps during his first five seasons (is this where I reboot my "Paul Gruber for HoG" campaign again?). 

Then the team went on to draft John Lynch and Trent Dilfer (not that he was anything huge, but certainly better than Steve DeBerg...), followed by Warren Sapp, my cuzzo Derrick Brooks, brought on Tony Dungy and Donnie Abraham and Mike Alstott in '96 and then things really began to turn around (which actually began in '93 when Nickerson showed up). That's the Buccaneers squad I grew up with, and the changeover didn't happen until my sophomore year in high school. So yes--some of us definitely have more memories of the boys in orange. Now, to answer the question you asked...

1 hour ago, Reyes47 said:

then why did people hate it until now? How many teams do you know use Pewter? Also the pirate flag is way better than the pirate. Plus i just don’t think orange and red go well together. Just too loud

Id say the Jags previous uniforms were unique but i don’t see people using that as a good thing same with the bucs

...I never hated [the creamsicle]; in fact, I prefer it, although admittedly that's due to nostalgia. That said, the '97-'13 look was definitely sharp in it's own right. That said, if not for Nike leading the charge in overanthracting all things football aesthetics, Tampa's pewter would still be unique, but now? Nah--too much gray on the gridiron these days. The problem is that it hasn't translated well over to the latest Nike fabrics at all. Add to that the fact that, save for arguably Denver, no team uses orange as its primary color, and yes, it would make the orange much more unique in the current landscape, especially with the current fabrics.

That said, while I personally would LOVE to see my beloved orange and white make their glorious return to the team I grew up rooting for (well, them and the Jaguars once they showed up, as my team B), I doubt the organization actually pulls the trigger on it since so much of the RayJay is swathed out in red and black as it is, not to mention the perceived "stench" of the Yuccaneer Era--that despite the fact that the return of the creamsicle in throwback form in '09 was an enormous success, and now, being 22 years removed from the orange-and-white era, I believe a tasteful reboot would be a big hit.

That is, unless, of course, the team on the field still sucks, in which case it'll all be for naught. But I bet you merchandise would sell like hotcakes!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

22 minutes ago, Buc said:

..I never hated [the creamsicle]; in fact, I prefer it, although admittedly that's due to nostalgia. That said, the '97-'13 look was definitely sharp in it's own right. That said, if not for Nike leading the charge in overanthracting all things football aesthetics, Tampa's pewter would still be unique, but now? Nah--too much gray on the gridiron these days. The problem is that it hasn't translated well over to the latest Nike fabrics at all. Add to that the fact that, save for arguably Denver, no team uses orange as its primary color, and yes, it would make the orange much more unique in the current landscape, especially with the current fabrics.

First off a few great players hardly make up for just 3 seasons over .500 over 20 years. Second don’t you feel the cream orange is a sign of the times? Like personally when i see guys like Alstott and Sapp in those jersey it just feels off. Like people criticize modern uniforms for being too ‘modern’ but not uniforms that look like it’s straight from the 70s. 

I do agree that pewter didn’t work with nike new fabric but i think it can still work. Also i can’t think of how many teams that use gray besides the Bucs. I guess the falcons technically have silver but other than their logo they don’t use it. Pewter is just unique to the bucs and Broncos, Bears, Browns and Dolphins all have orange jerseys

Personally the 97-13 uniforms were truly timeless and was a mistake changing them to the monstrosity they have now

2 hours ago, Reyes47 said:

And aren’t logos suppose to be aggressive? Unique doesn’t always mean good

In the late 90's, that was a trend. But over all else, a logo should be iconic. The Bruins' Spoked B, the Leafs' blue maple leaf, the Whaler's HW, the Packer's G, the Bears' wishbone-C, the Saints' fleur-dis-lis, the Red Sox' pair of socks, the Yankees NY...all of those logos are iconic, but none of them are the type of GRR RAUGH AGGRESSIVE AND MACHO GRRGH logos like you saw a lot in (shocker) the late 90's.

Aggression is not really a factor in how iconic a logo is. A logo's iconicity comes down to more then just how overly-aggro it is; if that was the case, every team should have hyper-aggressive mascot logos since those would be "the most iconic". Bucco Bruce is iconic, maybe not for the winning record, but for how distinctive the team's look was. And, y'know, it didn't look like a create-a-team logo in Madden. 😛

The current uniforms, in my opinion, are godawful for a lot of reasons; but one stands out the most....they have waaaaay too many colors. Red, yellow, white, pewter, gray...like, that's an obscene amount of colors for a single jersey. Not to mention pewter looks more like a really, really dull brown when it's matte. The current set is ugly because it's so convoluted and messy, and that generic logo really doesn't help.

The Bucco Bruce-era creamsicle orange-red-white look may be 80's as hell, but it's simple. It looks good on the field, it's a distinctive combo and it really fits the Sunshine State for both of it's teams to be loud and colorful. Nothing screams "Florida" quite like dull brown and red, right? 😛

Count me as another who loves them because of how uniquely Floridian they are.  A team from another part of the country could never pull off creamsicle.

I never liked Bucco though.  If they brought back the creamsicles, I wouldn't be mad if they slapped the pirate flag on the lids.  They did win a Super Bowl with it, after all.

16 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

In the late 90's, that was a trend. But over all else, a logo should be iconic. The Bruins' Spoked B, the Leafs' blue maple leaf, the Whaler's HW, the Packer's G, the Bears' wishbone-C, the Saints' fleur-dis-lis, the Red Sox' pair of socks, the Yankees NY...all of those logos are iconic, but none of them are the type of GRR RAUGH AGGRESSIVE AND MACHO GRRGH logos like you saw a lot in (shocker) the late 90's.

Aggression is not really a factor in how iconic a logo is. A logo's iconicity comes down to more then just how overly-aggro it is; if that was the case, every team should have hyper-aggressive mascot logos since those would be "the most iconic". Bucco Bruce is iconic, maybe not for the winning record, but for how distinctive the team's look was. And, y'know, it didn't look like a create-a-team logo in Madden. 😛

All iconic means is recognizable. Not necessarily good or the best. Next teams named after more physical and defined things always focus on aggression.  Example when the Warriors played in philadelphia their logo was a native america warrior before they moved west and replaced it with california/bay area everything. Regardless the current bucs logo looks great 

Sure the pirate is unique but unique doesn’t mean good. Not to mention it’s too detailed for a helmet. The pirate flag on the saber is simple, clean and vibrant 

The current uniforms, in my opinion, are godawful for a lot of reasons; but one stands out the most....they have waaaaay too many colors. Red, yellow, white, pewter, gray...like, that's an obscene amount of colors for a single jersey. Not to mention pewter looks more like a really, really dull brown when it's matte. The current set is ugly because it's so convoluted and messy, and that generic logo really doesn't help.

First off how is the logo generic? I’ve seen more pirate head logos. Second this wasn’t a problem until Nike took over. The 2000s uniforms were great

The Bucco Bruce-era creamsicle orange-red-white look may be 80's as hell, but it's simple. It looks good on the field, it's a distinctive combo and it really fits the Sunshine State for both of it's teams to be loud and colorful. Nothing screams "Florida" quite like dull brown and red, right? 😛

the 2000s uniform was simple. Team colors aren’t about matching the state it’s about matching the mascot and name. Does red and blue scream NYC? Or purple minnesota? Even then the dolphins already have that covered with the teal and orange. Red and orange just don’t mix. Pewter looks like cannons 

49.-1998-Buccaneers-560x371.png

I like them because the orange color with red trim sits really nicely on a white background (helmet, pants, road jersey).  Orange and red sounds bad on paper, but I think the small amount of red compliments the orange nicely and the effect is like an orange version of double-blue or the Bucks Irish rainbow.  I loved it as a kid and still think it looks good.

I admit Bucco Bruce was too detailed and looking back, the logo doesn’t really hold up.  But the colors (and the way the Bucs balanced them) make it a top-5 NFL look for me.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Creamsicles were simple, sleek, clean & I've never gotten the hate for them. The reason some people hate them is cause the orange is seen as too gaudy and bright, and that mixed with losing seasons gives it a bad omen. 

However, the main reason I'd love to see them return all modernized? Nike doesn't know how to do Pewter right. The colour comes off as a mix between brown and grey with the new material used, and the template is also a mess along with the alarm clock numbers. 

As for the 00's set? That's the era I grew up on, and while there's a lot to like about said set, there's also a glaring issue: Too many colours. Red, White, Black, Pewter & Orange... 5 COLOURS. IMO, you keep it to 3 or 4 at most, with maybe a 5th colour for the logo as an accent but not used in the design itself. The other thing is that the "minimal design up top, striped pants" look was copied by quite a few other teams: The Eagles, Jaguars & Ravens all adopted a similar idea. 

Now, am I saying that the Bucs should full blown return to the Creamsicle set? I say no. However, using those colours and creating a new design, bringing that look into "The 2020" mindset? I'm all for that.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Archived