Why do people love the orange Bucs?

Reyes47

16 hours ago, Reyes47 said:

Next teams named after more physical and defined things always focus on aggression. Example when the Warriors played in philadelphia their logo was a native america warrior before they moved west and replaced it with california/bay area everything.

So that's why the Tampa Bay Lightning have a minimalist logo? To be aggressive and cool? Oh, and how about the Toronto Raptors? And again, the Chicago Bears?

Native logos are a far, faaaaaaaaar different and much more touchy logo then a pirate, so I'll avoid commenting too much on that. 

spacer.png

Though in what universe is this an "aggressive" logo?

Sure the pirate is unique but unique doesn’t mean good. Not to mention it’s too detailed for a helmet. The pirate flag on the saber is simple, clean and vibrant 

First off how is the logo generic? I’ve seen more pirate head logos.

There is such a thing as modernization. Bucco Bruce is a good logo that fits the identity of "the pirate team" beautifully. It's characterful and appealing, it's easily recognizable with the orange and red colors and most importantly it's distinctly Bucs. The flag logo could have the football jolly roger replaced by the logo of any other sword-themed team and still work, which is not what I think of when I think "iconic branding".

It's exactly the kind of logo I think of when I think "generic branding", though; hence the comparison to a Madden create-a-team logo. I could take the Sabres' goathead logo, slap it onto the Bucs' flag and color it appropriately and it'd be just as fitting a logo. The pirate flag is a logo that's so broadly-applicable that it's generic and not iconic branding. It's pretty telling that Bucco Bruce is the highest-rated Bucs primary on the mothership while the current logo is the lowest-rated.

The current logo is late 90's design to a fault; dark colors, loads of pointed edges and an excessive focus on AGGRESSION and SERIOUSNESS(tm) above iconicity and flair. The "modernized" take is even worse, what with the dark gray outline, overly-detailed skull and swords and obscene amount of color. It doesn't even have any pewter in it, despite how damn excessively the team uses it on the actual jersey.

Team colors aren’t about matching the state it’s about matching the mascot and name. Does red and blue scream NYC? Or purple minnesota? Even then the dolphins already have that covered with the teal and orange. Red and orange just don’t mix. Pewter looks like cannons 

Counterpoint; pewter also looks like a brown turd when it's a matte and not metallic, which is the exact kind of thing you don't want a team to be associated with. Red and blue does scream NYC to me, since both of the most iconic NYC teams (the Rangers and Yankees) historically have used that exact color scheme. Minnesota using purple is more out there, but considering one of Prince's most iconic songs is Purple Rain, it at least works with the state.

The Dolphins don't even use orange in their main set besides as an accent trim color, so they hardly "have that covered" considering like 99% of their jersey is either teal or white.

spacer.png

Look at this jersey; it's clean, it's concise and it looks great on the field. It uses just three colors; white, red and orange. As pointed out above, the current set has an obscene amount of colors on it. You have red, black, orange, brown/pewter and white all trying to grab for attention on the same jersey; that's a recipe for ugly. Add in the ugly as sin numbers and gigantic helmet logo and it just makes for a really poor look.

There's a reason the Bears' and Dolphins' current jerseys work and the Bucs' current one does not, and it's that they both use only three colors; navy, white and orange for the Bears and teal, white and orange for the Dolphins. They don't add two entirely unnecessary colors that only serve to muddle the identity too much by spreading too much color over too little space.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

So that's why the Tampa Bay Lightning have a minimalist logo? To be aggressive and cool? Oh, and how about the Toronto Raptors? And again, the Chicago Bears?

Native logos are a far, faaaaaaaaar different and much more touchy logo then a pirate, so I'll avoid commenting too much on that. 

You don’t need to do much to make a lightning bolt intimidating. The raptor torn basketball is badass and their old raptor logo was even better. Bears are old and historic so they’re out but even then their alternate bear logo is intimidating and awesome. Do you want the bucs logo to just be a B?

spacer.png

Though in what universe is this an "aggressive" logo?

I must’ve thought of something else. Maybe it was FSU

There is such a thing as modernization. Bucco Bruce is a good logo that fits the identity of "the pirate team" beautifully. It's characterful and appealing, it's easily recognizable with the orange and red colors and most importantly it's distinctly Bucs. The flag logo could have the football jolly roger replaced by the logo of any other sword-themed team and still work, which is not what I think of when I think "iconic branding".

Yeah because no other team has used a pirate head as the logo. Again the orange and red mixed together is straight up ugly and gaudy

E8zj_j3a_OLXW3ed3EiBrj2366Chc8YEUp55MXa1

1200px-Portland_Pirates.svg.png

701e3892599221faa01d8b41d2cdf2c3.jpg

It's exactly the kind of logo I think of when I think "generic branding", though; hence the comparison to a Madden create-a-team logo. I could take the Sabres' goathead logo, slap it onto the Bucs' flag and color it appropriately and it'd be just as fitting a logo. The pirate flag is a logo that's so broadly-applicable that it's generic and not iconic branding. It's pretty telling that Bucco Bruce is the highest-rated Bucs primary on the mothership while the current logo is the lowest-rated.

Why would the buffalo sabres have a pirate flag? Please find me any logos that look like the bucs. Even then how many teams just use a head as their logo? The only think iconic about Bucco bruce is the yukaneers 

The current logo is late 90's design to a fault; dark colors, loads of pointed edges and an excessive focus on AGGRESSION and SERIOUSNESS(tm) above iconicity and flair. The "modernized" take is even worse, what with the dark gray outline, overly-detailed skull and swords and obscene amount of color. It doesn't even have any pewter in it, despite how damn excessively the team uses it on the actual jersey.

and bucco bruce is a 70s design to a fault. Also you realize their current logo is a redesign right? And yes the logo does use pewter. Regardless the logo doesn’t need to use every single color and sometimes logo have extra colors. Like the Yankees logo is blue and red yet the yankees wear navy blue. Like how is bucco bruce not overly detailed?

1041.gif

bucs_mark_1_rgb.jpg

Counterpoint; pewter also looks like a brown turd when it's a matte and not metallic, which is the exact kind of thing you don't want a team to be associated with.

And luckily the bucs don’t use it. Pewter looks nothing like brown. And i don’t want to be associated with gaudy orange and red

Red and blue does scream NYC to me, since both of the most iconic NYC teams (the Rangers and Yankees) historically have used that exact color scheme. Minnesota using purple is more out there, but considering one of Prince's most iconic songs is Purple Rain, it at least works with the state.

Alright what about green or orange and blue? Or the chicago with navy and orange? or LA with yellow and blue? Take from someone who lives in florida nothing looks close to the bucs 70s uniforms. Maybe back in the 70s and 80s but not modern florida. Like people clamoring about the Heats pink and teal which again modern miami looks. i thing like that anymore

The Dolphins don't even use orange in their main set besides as an accent trim color, so they hardly "have that covered" considering like 99% of their jersey is either teal or white.

And? What about the Broncos?

spacer.png

Look at this jersey; it's clean, it's concise and it looks great on the field. It uses just three colors; white, red and orange. As pointed out above, the current set has an obscene amount of colors on it. You have red, black, orange, brown/pewter and white all trying to grab for attention on the same jersey; that's a recipe for ugly. Add in the ugly as sin numbers and gigantic helmet logo and it just makes for a really poor look.

This just looks loud and gaudy and incredibly 70s. Here is the bucs previous set

NdciYUhRAPhIgtW2WD44rbVVP44qGaW0oTKBoSMG

These are clean and concise and truly timeless not like a relic from the 70s. They’re not gaudy and the red and pewter work far better than the obnoxious cream orange and red. Nike was doing way too much when they made that gaudy mess and if they should take inspiration anywhere it’s here from the uniforms they wore in their super bowl run 

There's a reason the Bears' and Dolphins' current jerseys work and the Bucs' current one does not, and it's that they both use only three colors; navy, white and orange for the Bears and teal, white and orange for the Dolphins. They don't add two entirely unnecessary colors that only serve to muddle the identity too much by spreading too much color over too little space.

I agree and that why i think the bucs should use their super bowl uniforms as the template. Not their gaudy 70s look that is associate with the loners losing streak in nfl history. You saying it’s iconic doesn’t make it so 

11 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

However, the main reason I'd love to see them return all modernized? Nike doesn't know how to do Pewter right. The colour comes off as a mix between brown and grey with the new material used, and the template is also a mess along with the alarm clock numbers. 

I’ll give you that the pewter doesn’t look as good. Maybe just going straight up switch to silver or gray would be better 

As for the 00's set? That's the era I grew up on, and while there's a lot to like about said set, there's also a glaring issue: Too many colours. Red, White, Black, Pewter & Orange... 5 COLOURS. IMO, you keep it to 3 or 4 at most, with maybe a 5th colour for the logo as an accent but not used in the design itself. The other thing is that the "minimal design up top, striped pants" look was copied by quite a few other teams: The Eagles, Jaguars & Ravens all adopted a similar idea. 

I don’t really consider black a color. Tbh i barely consider white a color in the set. I just don’t think have red and orange outlines

Now, am I saying that the Bucs should full blown return to the Creamsicle set? I say no. However, using those colours and creating a new design, bringing that look into "The 2020" mindset? I'm all for that.

Sorry but i really don’t think those colors can work in today time. They’re just way too 70s to be modernized 

The "Creamsicle" uniforms the Buccaneers use to wear made them stand out. Are the uniforms unique? Yes. This also makes them subject to ridicule and criticism, but when you mention the Buccaneers, these uniforms were the first thing that come to mind. You wouldn't understand this if you were born in the 90's and younger, and are use to their current color scheme. When I was in the teens I often though of a redesign of the uniforms, now since they changed in the early 90s, I liked the change.Although I cant say the same about the current uniforms, I like both the 90's uniforms and the "Creamsicles". And I prefer the pirate flag & sword over Bucco Bruce.

9 minutes ago, Tygers09 said:

If red/ orange cant go together, then how do teams get away with the green/ blue color scheme? It's the same thing, let's not have a double standard here...

i can’t think of many teams that ‘get away’ with green and blue. Even then I wouldn’t care for that color combo

3 hours ago, Reyes47 said:

Like people clamoring about the Heats pink and teal which again modern miami looks.

The Heat's pink, teal, and black look is actually very 80s. Does Miami Vice ring a bell?

10 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Heat's pink, teal, and black look is actually very 80s. Does Miami Vice ring a bell?

yes. i know though i feel the pink and teal work better because nba uniforms have gotten a bit more wild and the jerseys themselves look more modern. What do you think of them as a side note

1 hour ago, Reyes47 said:

i can’t think of many teams that ‘get away’ with green and blue. Even then I wouldn’t care for that color combo

I wasn't talking about the Bucs using that color.. Just that color combo used in sports in general.

Canucks, Dallas Mavericks (throwbacks), now defunct Hartford Whalers? Just to name a few...

I used to like the Creamsicles, but I've changed my mind over the years. I now think they should focus on pewter as the main color, with orange as the secondary color and red demoted to the tertiary color.

I also think both the '90s logos and the current logos are a big upgrade from the glorified dive bar logo they were using back in the Creamsicle era.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

14 minutes ago, Tygers09 said:

I wasn't talking about the Bucs using that color.. Just that color combo used in sports in general.

Canucks, Dallas Mavericks (throwbacks), now defunct Hartford Whalers? Just to name a few...

I didn’t say the bucs. I don’t watch Hockey but from what i’ve seen they’re ok (I’ve never really liked hockey jerseys so take it with a grain of salt). However one thing i have to point out is the fact they always have white stripes to separate the blue and green. I’m not going to lie i hate the mavs green jerseys. Their current ones are mediocre but better than their green but that’s another discussion

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Anybody who doesn’t recognize that pink, light blue, and black is an 80s reference probably shouldn’t be considered a color authority.  😛

i said they were from the 80s. Surprised old school guys here like the unorthodox colors. Personally i like the heat as is but wouldn’t mind if they make pink and blue the main colors

4 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Crazy talk...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

first off as i mentioned i don’t watch hockey. second i’m 19 so i won’t recognize any uniforms before the 90s. Lastly something you notice with all of them is they all separate blue and green with white which the bucs creamsicles don’t do with red and orange. BTW what is that last one a USFL team? 

Archived