Teams With Multiple Home Venues.

MilSox

We all know stories of teams playing home games at multiple venues, usually in an attempt to regionalize their appeal.  But nearly every time, that attempt ends in disaster, or the team decides to cut its losses and play at a single home before it gets to that point.

My question is, has there ever been an instance of a team playing in multiple home venues and it actually working; or at least having some measurable level of success?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Working? Long term ... no. But, the NBA and ABA regionalized a lot in the 60s and early 70s which probably helped the sport some.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

There has been some temporary success but since stadiums started being designed with innovative revenue-making ability at outrageous costs, those days should be behind us in big pro sports.

I think the old “Milwaukee” season ticket package still exists for the Packers so the old Milwaukee games are probably a success in that more people have game access.

I think UConn still plays men’s and women’s basketball on campus and in Hartford.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

43 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

The Kansas City-Omaha Kings come to mind.

comes to mind as an example of it working well?  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A lot of MLS teams will play regular season games at regular stadiums and other Cup games at training facilities.

Don't college teams frequently play at multiple venues? Like on-campus gyms for some games and local arenas for bigger games? I could be way off, but I feel like some teams bounce around a bit. St. John's splits between campus and MSG, but surely there are others?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

A lot of MLS teams will play regular season games at regular stadiums and other Cup games at training facilities.

Don't college teams frequently play at multiple venues? Like on-campus gyms for some games and local arenas for bigger games? I could be way off, but I feel like some teams bounce around a bit. St. John's splits between campus and MSG, but surely there are others?

Villanova plays home games on campus and also the Wells Fargo Center.  Usually against top-ranked teams, or rivals like Georgetown.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Georgetown University Men's Basketball team plays some of it's early season out of conference games at their on campus gymnasium (where the women's team plays all of it's home games). Their conference games and out of conference games against bigger opponents are played at Capital One Arena.

Don't think they've done it in a few years, but the Washington Capitals usually play a preseason game in Baltimore at whatever their calling that arena now.

In 2018 before Audi Field opened in July, D.C. United played home games at the Maryland Soccerplex & the stadium at the Naval Academy.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 hours ago, alxy8s said:

Haven't used it in about 20 years, but Alabama used to play a ton of their "home" games at Legion Field.

My uncle saw A-State play them at Legion way back in the day. I have the game program somewhere.

11 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Vet mentioned Villanova, but Georgetown does this as well in basketball. They usually play at the big arena but sometimes play less important games (like when they lost A-State a few years ago) at a rinky-dink on-campus building.

Alabama football playing at Birmingham was mentioned, and that was a far more common thing years ago, especially in the South where the college teams were the closest thing to a major pro team, but they were all located in smaller college towns instead of the major cities of the state. Arkansas is the only school I'm aware of that still does it. They don't want to, but as you can imagine, there's some backwards-ass political nonsense that keeps them playing in Little Rock.

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

UNCG plays most of their games at the 23,500 seat Greensboro Coliseum (albeit with most of the upper level curtained off), with other games (usually when students are on break, etc.) at the on-campus gym that seats 2,320.

Charleston Southern, home to the second-smallest gym in Division I (seating 881), plays higher-profile games in the 14,000 seat North Charleston Coliseum.

Those are just two random examples I know of... I'd imagine this is rather common for teams in an urban area with small on-campus arenas.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

7 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Charleston Southern, home to the second-smallest gym in Division I (seating 881), plays higher-profile games in the 14,000 seat North Charleston Coliseum.

Those are just two random examples I know of... I'd imagine this is rather common for teams in an urban area with small on-campus arenas.

Without looking I want to guess. Is the smallest the one that Jacksonville plays at? I remember being flabbergasted the first time I saw a game of theirs on ESPN+.

50 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Without looking I want to guess. Is the smallest the one that Jacksonville plays at? I remember being flabbergasted the first time I saw a game of theirs on ESPN+.

Nope, upon consulting Wikipedia, theirs actually seats 1,360.

The smallest is the G.B. Hodge Center, home to the USC Upstate Spartans. Official capacity is listed at 837... they actually renovated it a few years ago to have fewer seats. It's also where I announced my first ever D1 basketball game!

Overview-of-Arena.jpg

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

12 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Georgetown University Men's Basketball team plays some of it's early season out of conference games at their on campus gymnasium (where the women's team plays all of it's home games). Their conference games and out of conference games against bigger opponents are played at Capital One Arena.

Don't think they've done it in a few years, but the Washington Capitals usually play a preseason game in Baltimore at whatever their calling that arena now.

In 2018 before Audi Field opened in July, D.C. United played home games at the Maryland Soccerplex & the stadium at the Naval Academy.

Before moving to the Verizon Center/Capital One Arena, the Bullets/Wizards played several regular season home games per year at the Baltimore Arena (now Royal Farms Arena).

If memory serves me, the Celtics used to play several regular season home games per year in Hartford at one point.

Also, the White Sox played one home game per year against each AL team in Milwaukee in 1968-69 (9 games in 1968, 11 games in 1969 after expansion).  Those games most likely helped win approval of move of the Seattle Pilots to Milwaukee.

When the Chicago White Sox called Milwaukee's County Stadium home

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Over in Japan the Orix Buffaloes split their season between the Osaka Dome and the Sports Park in Kobe, with the Hanshin Tigers also occasionally borrowing one of those parks when their regular home of Koshien Stadium is hosting the national high-school baseball tournament every August.

Archived