NicDB

Teams With Multiple Home Venues.

Recommended Posts

We all know stories of teams playing home games at multiple venues, usually in an attempt to regionalize their appeal.  But nearly every time, that attempt ends in disaster, or the team decides to cut its losses and play at a single home before it gets to that point.

My question is, has there ever been an instance of a team playing in multiple home venues and it actually working; or at least having some measurable level of success?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Kansas City-Omaha Kings come to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working? Long term ... no. But, the NBA and ABA regionalized a lot in the 60s and early 70s which probably helped the sport some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There has been some temporary success but since stadiums started being designed with innovative revenue-making ability at outrageous costs, those days should be behind us in big pro sports.

 

I think the old “Milwaukee” season ticket package still exists for the Packers so the old Milwaukee games are probably a success in that more people have game access.

 

I think UConn still plays men’s and women’s basketball on campus and in Hartford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rays Owner Stu Sternberg is going to try it with the Montreal Expo Rays of Tampa Bay....or the Can Am Ex-Rays.  He won't succeed but he's going to try it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Rays Owner Stu Sternberg is going to try it with the Montreal Expo Rays of Tampa Bay....or the Can Am Ex-Rays.  He won't succeed but he's going to try it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

The Kansas City-Omaha Kings come to mind.

 

comes to mind as an example of it working well?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't used it in about 20 years, but Alabama used to play a ton of their "home" games at Legion Field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New York FC played some of their playoff games at Citi Field over the past few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of MLS teams will play regular season games at regular stadiums and other Cup games at training facilities.

 

Don't college teams frequently play at multiple venues? Like on-campus gyms for some games and local arenas for bigger games? I could be way off, but I feel like some teams bounce around a bit. St. John's splits between campus and MSG, but surely there are others?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

A lot of MLS teams will play regular season games at regular stadiums and other Cup games at training facilities.

 

Don't college teams frequently play at multiple venues? Like on-campus gyms for some games and local arenas for bigger games? I could be way off, but I feel like some teams bounce around a bit. St. John's splits between campus and MSG, but surely there are others?

 

 

Villanova plays home games on campus and also the Wells Fargo Center.  Usually against top-ranked teams, or rivals like Georgetown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Georgetown University Men's Basketball team plays some of it's early season out of conference games at their on campus gymnasium (where the women's team plays all of it's home games). Their conference games and out of conference games against bigger opponents are played at Capital One Arena.

 

Don't think they've done it in a few years, but the Washington Capitals usually play a preseason game in Baltimore at whatever their calling that arena now.

 

In 2018 before Audi Field opened in July, D.C. United played home games at the Maryland Soccerplex & the stadium at the Naval Academy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alxy8s said:

Haven't used it in about 20 years, but Alabama used to play a ton of their "home" games at Legion Field.

 

My uncle saw A-State play them at Legion way back in the day. I have the game program somewhere.

 

11 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

A lot of MLS teams will play regular season games at regular stadiums and other Cup games at training facilities.

 

Don't college teams frequently play at multiple venues? Like on-campus gyms for some games and local arenas for bigger games? I could be way off, but I feel like some teams bounce around a bit. St. John's splits between campus and MSG, but surely there are others?

 

 

Vet mentioned Villanova, but Georgetown does this as well in basketball. They usually play at the big arena but sometimes play less important games (like when they lost A-State a few years ago) at a rinky-dink on-campus building.

 

Alabama football playing at Birmingham was mentioned, and that was a far more common thing years ago, especially in the South where the college teams were the closest thing to a major pro team, but they were all located in smaller college towns instead of the major cities of the state. Arkansas is the only school I'm aware of that still does it. They don't want to, but as you can imagine, there's some backwards-ass political nonsense that keeps them playing in Little Rock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Don't college teams frequently play at multiple venues? Like on-campus gyms for some games and local arenas for bigger games? I could be way off, but I feel like some teams bounce around a bit. St. John's splits between campus and MSG, but surely there are others?

 

UNCG plays most of their games at the 23,500 seat Greensboro Coliseum (albeit with most of the upper level curtained off), with other games (usually when students are on break, etc.) at the on-campus gym that seats 2,320.

 

Charleston Southern, home to the second-smallest gym in Division I (seating 881), plays higher-profile games in the 14,000 seat North Charleston Coliseum.

 

Those are just two random examples I know of... I'd imagine this is rather common for teams in an urban area with small on-campus arenas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Charleston Southern, home to the second-smallest gym in Division I (seating 881), plays higher-profile games in the 14,000 seat North Charleston Coliseum.

 

Those are just two random examples I know of... I'd imagine this is rather common for teams in an urban area with small on-campus arenas.

 

Without looking I want to guess. Is the smallest the one that Jacksonville plays at? I remember being flabbergasted the first time I saw a game of theirs on ESPN+.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

 

Without looking I want to guess. Is the smallest the one that Jacksonville plays at? I remember being flabbergasted the first time I saw a game of theirs on ESPN+.

 

Nope, upon consulting Wikipedia, theirs actually seats 1,360.

 

The smallest is the G.B. Hodge Center, home to the USC Upstate Spartans. Official capacity is listed at 837... they actually renovated it a few years ago to have fewer seats. It's also where I announced my first ever D1 basketball game!

 

Overview-of-Arena.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Georgetown University Men's Basketball team plays some of it's early season out of conference games at their on campus gymnasium (where the women's team plays all of it's home games). Their conference games and out of conference games against bigger opponents are played at Capital One Arena.

 

Don't think they've done it in a few years, but the Washington Capitals usually play a preseason game in Baltimore at whatever their calling that arena now.

 

In 2018 before Audi Field opened in July, D.C. United played home games at the Maryland Soccerplex & the stadium at the Naval Academy.

 

Before moving to the Verizon Center/Capital One Arena, the Bullets/Wizards played several regular season home games per year at the Baltimore Arena (now Royal Farms Arena).

 

If memory serves me, the Celtics used to play several regular season home games per year in Hartford at one point.

 

Also, the White Sox played one home game per year against each AL team in Milwaukee in 1968-69 (9 games in 1968, 11 games in 1969 after expansion).  Those games most likely helped win approval of move of the Seattle Pilots to Milwaukee.

 

When the Chicago White Sox called Milwaukee's County Stadium home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over in Japan the Orix Buffaloes split their season between the Osaka Dome and the Sports Park in Kobe, with the Hanshin Tigers also occasionally borrowing one of those parks when their regular home of Koshien Stadium is hosting the national high-school baseball tournament every August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.