Teams With Multiple Home Venues.

NicDB

14 hours ago, McGlinchey23 said:

The season ticket holders would get the same explanation that any team gets that plays games in London, or Toronto, or any one-off game. 

Plenty of NFL stadiums are in “downtown” areas or in the heart of major cities, and they make it work

Those stadiums are also built with modern infrastructure and amenities in mind.

The Eagles could probably get away with holding an open practice there, but that’s as much as I would push it. Franklin Field is a great football stadium, but it has no business hosting an NFL game, or even a preseason game. Both the venue and the location present logistical problems beyond the scope of what it was built for.

1 hour ago, McGlinchey23 said:

The season ticket holders would get the same explanation that any team gets that plays games in London, or Toronto, or any one-off game. 

Plenty of NFL stadiums are in “downtown” areas or in the heart of major cities, and they make it work

I'm going out on a limb here and questioning if you've ever been to Franklin Field or UCity.

9 hours ago, McGlinchey23 said:

I wish the Eagles would play some games at Franklin Field

This is probably the worst idea I have ever heard. It’s not even that great of a stadium for college. Pretty lousy and out of date actually. The capacity is bad, and to also go with the other logistical hurdles that others have mentioned all points to being a horrible idea. I think eagles fans would riot more than they usually do and burn that stadium down to the ground if they win, and take the rest of the campus with them if they lose.

3 hours ago, dont care said:

This is probably the worst idea I have ever heard. It’s not even that great of a stadium for college. Pretty lousy and out of date actually. The capacity is bad, and to also go with the other logistical hurdles that others have mentioned all points to being a horrible idea. I think eagles fans would riot more than they usually do and burn that stadium down to the ground if they win, and take the rest of the campus with them if they lose.

The combined intelligence of the fans in that stadium wouldn't even get into the school on which the stadium resides.  Regardless, it's not quite as bad as you say.  I imagine you could squeeze 50k in there, though that would create a lot of issues.  It's actually pretty, and has a cool end zone, but it's totally unsuitable for pro football.  At this point, it's known more for hosting the Penn Relays track meet every year than it is for football.

02_042718_PennRelays_Carroll.2e16d0ba.fiFranklin_Field_Web.jpg?width=1024&heightFranklinField-40Bsmall.jpg?itok=ElC1f7UqFRANKLIN_FIELD.jpg?1556133108 wgjyxnx3tuv01.jpg

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The combined intelligence of the fans in that stadium wouldn't even get into the school on which the stadium resides.  Regardless, it's not quite as bad as you say.  I imagine you could squeeze 50k in there, though that would create a lot of issues.  It's actually pretty, and has a cool end zone, but it's totally unsuitable for pro football.  At this point, it's known more for hosting the Penn Relays track meet every year than it is for football.

02_042718_PennRelays_Carroll.2e16d0ba.fiFranklin_Field_Web.jpg?width=1024&heightFranklinField-40Bsmall.jpg?itok=ElC1f7UqFRANKLIN_FIELD.jpg?1556133108 wgjyxnx3tuv01.jpg

Don’t get me wrong it does look cool, but you are right it’s totally unfit for professional football

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

[USFL game played at Franklin Field]

There's like 25k people there, and the expectations for amenities aren't nearly what they are now.  Not to mention the ticket price back then was probably no more than 10% of what they would be now.  The security needs are way different today now too - who knows if Franklin Field could even support modern entry procedures and in-stand staffing.

6 hours ago, NicDB said:

Even despite being 60 years old, it looks totally bizarre (albeit, in a way that's kind of cool) that this is an image from a game in which a NFL championship is being decided.

spacer.png

And 40 years before Lombardi's only postseason loss, NFL games were being played in a small Green Bay public park.

1-hagermeister-900x1000--unknown.jpg?sfv

23 hours ago, NicDB said:

Even despite being 60 years old, it looks totally bizarre (albeit, in a way that's kind of cool) that this is an image from a game in which a NFL championship is being decided.

spacer.png

This is the NFL before television took over the sport.

Venues explicitly built for NFL teams didn't start going up until the '70s. The only NFL team playing in a stadium built specifically for them in 1960 was the Green Bay Packers, and the original Lambeau was little more than a glorified High School stadium that was built in less than a year.

You will never see unique venues like Franklin Field in the NFL again. It's sad in a way because I would take seeing a game at Franklin Field over just about every NFL venue, but that's the price you pay for progress. You can't have teams playing in venues that barely seat 50K located in quaint neighborhoods and still consider yourself the #1 pro sports league in America.

2 hours ago, pmoehrin said:

This is the NFL before television took over the sport.

Venues explicitly built for NFL teams didn't start going up until the '70s. The only NFL team playing in a stadium built specifically for them in 1960 was the Green Bay Packers, and the original Lambeau was little more than a glorified High School stadium that was built in less than a year.

You will never see unique venues like Franklin Field in the NFL again. It's sad in a way because I would take seeing a game at Franklin Field over just about every NFL venue, but that's the price you pay for progress. You can't have teams playing in venues that seat barely seat 50K located in quaint neighborhoods and still consider yourself the #1 pro sports league in America.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Football stadiums just aren't as romantic as baseball stadiums. There's precisely one stadium in the NFL that feels special, and that's on the heels of a significant renovation, because look at what a dump it used to be:

NFL stadiums may not be as romanticized as their MLB counterparts, but college stadiums absolutely are.  And to that point, I don't think pre-renovation Lambeau looks too terribly different from this...
spacer.png

...or this...
spacer.png

...or even this...
spacer.png

I also don't think it's a coincidence that a huge part of the Packers mystique is that, historically, they've presented themselves and related to their fans in a way that has more in common with big time college football than most of their NFL colleagues. 

This has worked well for a couple of WHL major junior hockey teams.  Can play games in a smaller arena and some in a larger one.

The Portland Winterhawks have been doing this for years.  Spreading games between the older Veterans Memorial Coliseum and the newer, larger Moda Center.

The Vancouver Giants play in the cozy confines of the Langley Events Centre, but will play a game or two a year at a larger arena in Vancouver proper.  Like for Teddy Bear Toss games when they try to get a really large attendance.  Played a couple of games last year at Pacific Coliseum.  This year had the Teddy Bear Toss game at Rogers Arena.

25 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I thought the Giants played all their games at the old Pacific Coliseum. When did they downsize?

Vancouver Giants moved from Pacific Coliseum to Langley Events Centre at the start of the 2016-17 season.  Now in their 4th season there.

https://www.vancourier.com/sports/vancouver-giants-announce-move-to-langley-1.2245214

Not great for me as I live in west side of Vancouver.  I grew up watching WHL hockey as a kid going to Regina Pats games.  Love the stuff.  Used to go to a few Giants games a year at Pacific Coliseum, but even getting there by transit for me took some time.  Now that they play in Langley, only been to a couple of games out there.  It is just really far for me, but seems to work for the team.