Reyes47

Oregon Ducks Uniforms

What are you guy’s general thoughts on Oregon’s constantly changing uniforms? What would you do different if you were president of athletics? 

The thing with Oregon is I would say they’ve never really had an iconic look like Alabama or Florida and so all the drastic changes they’ve made haven’t felt forced. Sure some are gaudy, ridiculous and dated by the very next week but at the same time they’ve really hit some knockouts 

Id say their best set of all time is their Rose Bowl all greens. I’ve always loved the O on the helmet instead of wings and the cartoon duck is just amazing. The only criticism I have are to add TV numbers and to change the number style

usa-today-8306131.0.jpg

My next favorite are their Orange White Green combo that looks both old schools and modern and just looks amazing. Anyone who thinks face masks should be gray because they’re not apart of the uniform here is your answer 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkco2rC8ttB2dWLRrONR2

I also gotta say even though i prefer the basic O i also really love this helmet especially with the white jerseys. They look so much better than the reflective wings. Matte green is just so clean

Oregon-Ducks-e1504705194569.jpg

Again are these perfect? No. Are they gaudy at time? Absolutely. Does Oregon have some of the absolute worst garbage Nike craps out every year from Chinese sweatshops? I don’t think i need to answer that but at the same time when when you swing so many times you’re bound to hit one home run

To be honest, Oregon's flashy uniforms were why a 12 year old kid from Nebraska with no attachment to Oregon whatsoever picked them up as my "west coast team" around 2011. They have had quite a few combinations that I don't love, but for the most part I enjoy what they do because they were the ones that started the trend of mixing and matching various uniform elements. I don't particularly care for other schools wearing 10 different combinations a year, but I feel Oregon should (sort of) get a pass because they are the ones that started the trend. As for the actual design of the uniforms, I feel they peaked in the Mariota era. I like the ones prior to Mariota, and I like the current uniforms as well, but the Mariota years were the best sets, in my opinion. If they were going to change them, I really wish they would've built around the black and white jerseys they introduced his senior year:

spacer.pngspacer.png

I liked it when Oregon made a sign that said "traditions never change, champions do" only to lose to conservatively dressed Auburn in the national championship game. So they had to hang the sign up in their practice facility, like the San Jose Sharks do with their "Playoff Participant" banner. 

Then they made it back to the national title game and again wore crazy, gaudy uniforms devoid of team colours. Only to lose to conservatively dressed Ohio State. 

Football can be funny sometimes. 

Anyway the crazy uniform shtick is old, especially now that seemingly every two-bit program uses the same design elements and mix-match system. 

The throwbacks are the best look. 

59 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I liked it when Oregon made a sign that said "traditions never change, champions do" only to lose to conservatively dressed Auburn in the national championship game. So they had to hang the sign up in their practice facility, like the San Jose Sharks do with their "Playoff Participant" banner. 

Then they made it back to the national title game and again wore crazy, gaudy uniforms devoid of team colours. Only to lose to conservatively dressed Ohio State. 

Anyway the crazy uniform shtick is old, especially now that seemingly every two-bit program uses the same design elements and mix-match system. 

so oregon should look like every other ‘traditional’ team?

btw did the ducks wear all white both time? Isn’t all white something old school teams like Penn State do?

3 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

so oregon should look like every other ‘traditional’ team?

Why not? It's the one thing they haven't tried on a full time basis yet! At least not since their current branding campaign began over a decade ago. 

3 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

btw did the ducks wear all white both time? Isn’t all white something old school teams like Penn State do?

Do old school teams wear Nike proprietary shades of neon volt and grey in place of school colours? 

EDIT- Oregon didn't wear all white in the 2011 game against Auburn. They wore white jerseys with "anthracite" pants. 

Edited by Ice_Cap

52 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Why not? It's the one thing they haven't tried on a full time basis yet! At least not since their current branding campaign began over a decade ago. 

Do old school teams wear Nike proprietary shades of neon volt and grey in place of school colours? 

EDIT- Oregon didn't wear all white in the 2011 game against Auburn. They wore white jerseys with "anthracite" pants. 

Then what would separate them from the other teams? What do you consider to be the last good oregon uniform? 

Like if i put alabama and penn state through a gray scale what would be the difference for you? What’s the difference between clean and generic? Like if i create a college tomorrow i   has it as plain as humanly possible how is that not generic? 

I just don’t get why we can’t have crazy uniforms. Would you rather have everyone look like Penn state or everyone be unique and gaudy?

Personally I would like less ridiculous numbers that are enormous and to use the green helmet with the O or Duck full time

I actually like it when teams minimize white in uniforms

29 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

Then what would separate them from the other teams?

Um, their logo and colour set? 

29 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

What do you consider to be the last good oregon uniform? 

The Joey Harrington set was nice, I guess. 

30 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

Like if i put alabama and penn state through a gray scale what would be the difference for you?

Two things. First, the world doesn't exist in greyscale. 

Secondly, Alabama and Penn State (and loads of other schools) have historical context that you can't separate from their uniforms. 

You're essentially engaging in the "if the Yankees debuted their uniforms today no one would like them" fallacy. You cannot separate a uniform from the decades of history behind it. 

33 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

Would you rather have everyone look like Penn state or everyone be unique and gaudy?

Why are these my only two options? 

34 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

I just don’t get why we can’t have crazy uniforms.

Who says we can't? 

I'm going to echo what others have said in other threads you've started. You need to stop creating these threads asking leading questions, only to argue when people disagree with you. 

You asked a leading question about Oregon's uniforms. I gave you my opinion. I'm not saying you're wrong for having your opinion, I'm not saying my opinion should be imposed on Oregon football. 

I'm just giving my personal opinion. Which you asked for, by opening up a thread anyone could reply in. So why did you ask for it if you were going to proceed to endlessly argue with me about it? 

In short, some advice. Stop being so confrontational, stop making assumptions about other people based on their uniforms preferences, and stop asking pointless, irrelevant hypothetical questions when people give you answers you don't like. 

35 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

Like if i put alabama and penn state through a gray scale what would be the difference for you? What’s the difference between clean and generic?

The difference is that Penn State and Alabama have iconic uniforms that have remained relatively unchanged for decades. While they may fit the term “generic,” in a sense that they use relatively plain uniforms with basic block numbers, they are instantly recognizable to anyone who has knowledge of college football. And they “gray scale” argument is kinda irrelevant. Uniforms haven’t been viewed through a grayscale on a regular basis since the  invention of color TV. 

40 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

Like if i create a college tomorrow i   has it as plain as humanly possible how is that not generic?

The thing is, like I said above, the uniforms that are, as you described them, “plain as humanly possible” have been around for decades. There’s no doubt that if someone came out with uniforms that, for example, were the same as Alabama but with green in place of crimson they would be heavily criticized because they don’t have the history behind those uniforms like Alabama does. 

44 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

I just don’t get why we can’t have crazy uniforms. Would you rather have everyone look like Penn state or everyone be unique and gaudy?

Why so absolute? Can’t we find a happy medium? Not every team has a classic uniform like Penn State to pull off that minimal of a design, but that doesn’t mean they need to go crazy. Find a nice middle ground between crazy and traditional. A good example of this is Cal. They don’t use super traditional uniforms, but they don’t go off the deep end crazy either. They use modern elements in a tasteful way that finds a nice middle ground between crazy and plain.

2eRuWUK.jpg

29 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Um, their logo and colour set? 

So if they go against another Green and yellow team that begins with an O no one would know?

The Joey Harrington set was nice, I guess. 

Eh too much black and don’t like the round numbers but alright fair enough 

Two things. First, the world doesn't exist in greyscale. 

Secondly, Alabama and Penn State (and loads of other schools) have historical context that you can't separate from their uniforms. 

I’m not saying they should change their uniforms but what history does Oregon have? What i’m saying is Oregon has never had an iconic or consistent look unlike Bama or Penn State. If oregon won 8 nattys and consistently had NFL HoFers then i’d say keep it old schools like Bama and Penn State but before Mariota and Kelly no one cared for Oregon. The fact is Oregon’s identity now is fun and modern football just as Bama is old school and tradition. 

Why are these my only two options? 

Alright what would you design Oregon’s uniforms to be a middle ground? If you were in charge what would you do? 

Who says we can't? 

You 

I'm going to echo what others have said in other threads you've started. You need to stop creating these threads asking leading questions, only to argue when people disagree with you. 

I brought up Oregon earlier and you said to start a new thread. I’m sorry if i come off as argumentative but i’m trying to have a discussion. I’m sorry i come off as aggressive i’ll take that into account next thread and make it more clear for discussion 

You asked a leading question about Oregon's uniforms. I gave you my opinion. I'm not saying you're wrong for having your opinion, I'm not saying my opinion should be imposed on Oregon football. 

I'm just giving my personal opinion. Which you asked for, by opening up a thread anyone could reply in. So why did you ask for it if you were going to proceed to endlessly argue with me about it? 

I’m not arguing i just want to discuss different views and how oregon can improve. I just like discussing this stuff

In short, some advice. Stop being so confrontational, stop making assumptions about other people based on their uniforms preferences, and stop asking pointless, irrelevant hypothetical questions when people give you answers you don't like. 

Alright i’ll take that into account. How can i approach a debate here?

35 minutes ago, jn8 said:

The difference is that Penn State and Alabama have iconic uniforms that have remained relatively unchanged for decades. While they may fit the term “generic,” in a sense that they use relatively plain uniforms with basic block numbers, they are instantly recognizable to anyone who has knowledge of college football. And they “gray scale” argument is kinda irrelevant. Uniforms haven’t been viewed through a grayscale on a regular basis since the  invention of color TV. 

And i agree. Bama and Penn should remain the same because of their history. My point is oregon never had either and iconic or consistent uniform ever. Again if Oregon became a powerhouse early on then i’d say keep them the same but every decade oregon has conformed to that era 

The thing is, like I said above, the uniforms that are, as you described them, “plain as humanly possible” have been around for decades. There’s no doubt that if someone came out with uniforms that, for example, were the same as Alabama but with green in place of crimson they would be heavily criticized because they don’t have the history behind those uniforms like Alabama does. 

Didn’t see people complain about the Jags new uniforms

Why so absolute? Can’t we find a happy medium? Not every team has a classic uniform like Penn State to pull off that minimal of a design, but that doesn’t mean they need to go crazy. Find a nice middle ground between crazy and traditional. A good example of this is Cal. They don’t use super traditional uniforms, but they don’t go off the deep end crazy either. They use modern elements in a tasteful way that finds a nice middle ground between crazy and plain.

2eRuWUK.jpg

I agree there should be a middle ground. But we are talking about absolutes here and what defines a middle ground is subjective. I personally think the uniforms of Oregon i linked were that middle ground but as we see people disagree. The uniforms I linked are gaudy and ugly. In fact some people may say that Cal uniform is too gimmicky. I’m open to discussion though and especially redesigns. I really like seeing redesigns so if you have a better oregon uniform shoot

14 hours ago, Reyes47 said:

Like if i put alabama and penn state through a gray scale what would be the difference for you?

dark vs. white helmet , helmet number vs. no helmet numbers, pants stripes vs. no pants stripes, team logos on the jersey, names on backs vs. no names on back. Really the only thing they have in common are a block number font and no sleeve stripes.

The "Penn State vs. Bama" argument is a straw man. Oregon could easily go with something that isn't constant gimmicky changes while also going with something that isn't Penn State/Bama level classic. Just look at Northwestern. They added a northwestern stripe across the chest in a manner that is pretty out there while also hearkening back to classic football looks AND you'd never mistake them for anyone else. It can absolutely be done.

46 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

The "Penn State vs. Bama" argument is a straw man. Oregon could easily go with something that isn't constant gimmicky changes while also going with something that isn't Penn State/Bama level classic. Just look at Northwestern. They added a northwestern stripe across the chest in a manner that is pretty out there while also hearkening back to classic football looks AND you'd never mistake them for anyone else. It can absolutely be done.

I agree. As i’ve mentioned my favorite Ducks uniforms are the less wacky ones

Oregon was the first program to figure out that 18 year olds like gear. Now that almost every other school does the same thing and their recruiting advantage has diminished I think they should try to find a more lasting look while using a few games a year to try out wacky things. They're running out of ideas for one-off special uniforms and really scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point. The Mariota Rose Bowl uniforms would be an excellent look to build an entire set around.

usa-today-8312386.0.jpg

17 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I couldn't believe when they went into the National Championship Game against Auburn and didn't wear a trace of a school color. It felt so wrong. If you approach that game like you're going to win and it's going to be the biggest moment in your program and your school's history then you should be wearing your colors. I was floored when they got a second chance and chose to do the same thing a second time. 

JamieSquireMarshall.jpg

Luckily for us, Oregon’s national contention window has ended.

I’m just hoping that PJ Fleck goes to Oregon after he wears out his welcome in Minnesota. 🛶

I agree that Oregon has some truly awful and gaudy BS and should definitely keep some consistency. As you mentioned the Rose Bowl uniforms are a great start. i’d also use this as it has classic elements while feeling modern and unique 

JHerbert3_Bruce-1024x717.jpgI actually think this is my favorite combo now

55 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Oregon was the first program to figure out that 18 year olds like gear. Now that almost every other school does the same thing and their recruiting advantage has diminished I think they should try to find a more lasting look while using a few games a year to try out wacky things.

I’ve never bought the claim that they had a recruiting advantage due to uniforms. I’d imagine it had a lot more to do with having the next big upcoming coach (at the time), great recruiters, an offense that made above average players look like damn gods, recent Heisman finalists/winners, a great location, great stadium atmosphere, as well as jerseys they thought were cool.

Ultimately, that teams that have out-recruited them then and now are teams with traditional uniforms (Sure, a bunch of them wear alternates, but plenty did before the Oregon phenomenon took

over).

If anything this has all just resulted in a bunch of mid to lower tier schools continuing to be mediocre to bad while also looking like a bunch of jackasses because they don’t have what it takes to actually compete in recruiting.

5 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

I’ve never bought the claim that they had a recruiting advantage due to uniforms. I’d imagine it had a lot more to do with having the next big upcoming coach (at the time), great recruiters, an offense that made above average players look like damn gods, recent Heisman finalists/winners, a great location, great stadium atmosphere, as well as jerseys they thought were cool.

Ultimately, that teams that have out-recruited them then and now are teams with traditional uniforms (Sure, a bunch of them wear alternates, but plenty did before the Oregon phenomenon took

over).

If anything this has all just resulted in a bunch of mid to lower tier schools continuing to be mediocre to bad while also looking like a bunch of jackasses because they don’t have what it takes to actually compete in recruiting.

Have you noticed how Adidas schools don't win? I'm talking around 2007-2010 when they were really the only program who was going hog wild with a bunch of helmet options and jersey/pants combinations. I never really bought it either, but then I heard some west coast players from that era say that they went to Oregon over USC/UCLA/Washington etc because they got to wear the coolest stuff. When recruiting was equal the gear was Oregon's edge. Since everybody else is doing it now that's not really the case any more. It's become just another part of the recruiting arm's race. 

And then once they assembled a collection of talent then they were able to grab athletes on the lure of being a winning program moreso than just the cool Nike stuff they get to wear.

16 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Have you noticed how Adidas schools don't win? I'm talking around 2007-2010 when they were really the only program who was going hog wild with a bunch of helmet options and jersey/pants combinations. I never really bought it either, but then I heard some west coast players from that era say that they went to Oregon over USC/UCLA/Washington etc because they got to wear the coolest stuff. When recruiting was equal the gear was Oregon's edge. Since everybody else is doing it now that's not really the case any more. It's become just another part of the recruiting arm's race. 

And then once they assembled a collection of talent then they were able to grab athletes on the lure of being a winning program moreso than just the cool Nike stuff they get to wear.

I think apart of the reason is they think after college they can get a sponsorship or work with the biggest athletic brand in the world. I did read though that Bol Bol chose Oregon over Kentucky because of uniforms though i’ve also read it’s because the coach of kentucky basketball stiffed him on becoming a member of the US basketball olympics team. 

Personally I don’t buy it.  I really can’t think of a person choosing one school over the other because of uniforms

Side note Oregon’s basketball uniforms are actually really good

EGSclqbU4AA8QBM.jpeg

19 hours ago, Reyes47 said:

You 

Nope, I never said that. You asked people to give their opinions on Oregon's uniform. I, someone whose tastes skew traditional, gave my opinion. I never said I was the final word of these matters, or that Oregon HAD to change its identity to match my preferences.

19 hours ago, Reyes47 said:

Alright i’ll take that into account. How can i approach a debate here?

Well first off, thank you for being open to improving. That's always nice to see.

Secondly, I would look at the above as an example. You asked for opinions on Oregon's uniforms. I gave you mine, and you claimed I was saying that no one can have "crazy" uniforms.

That was never my intent. My only intent was to give my personal opinion on Oregon's uniforms in a thread where you asked for opinions on Oregon's uniforms.

You've started three threads here from what I can see.

-Asking people why they like grey facemaks

-Asking people why they like the Bucs' old Creamsicle uniforms

-Asking people what they think about Oregon's uniforms

When you ask for peoples' opinions they're going to give them to you. And you're not going to agree with all of them. It seems to me, and others, like your style of posting here is "Hey, who here likes this dumb thing?" and then when people explain why they do you go "what? how could you like this thing I don't, here's five questions meant to pick apart everything you said in your reply."
It just reads like you're daring people to fight you, and that's no good.

What you should do is to try and engage in constructive discussion. Don't think of it as a debate you have to win. You're not going to change the minds of the people you disagree with, and they won't change your mind. So it's best to discuss this stuff without trying to hammer them with a bunch of hypothetical you think will win you an argument. They don't win you an argument, it'll just make you come off as someone looking for a fight.

5 hours ago, Lafarge said:

over).

I’d agree the gear isn’t the soul reason, but the incredible relationship they have with Nike/Phil knight is a huge reason. Basically the whole athletic department is basically paid for by Nike, buildings were built with Nike money, and all the newest gear and tech from not just game time, but also practice gear, and state of the art locker rooms and training facilities. Really the only schools that come close to matching them from what I’ve seen on the tours on YouTube are Alabama and texas, no one else even comes close.