chcarlson23

Favorite and Least Favorite Uniform Quirks

Recommended Posts

Some uniforms have weird quirks that doesn't follow normal tradition. Things like a logo placed somewhere weird, or an odd "rule" that the teams designs don't follow. Some of these are great, some of these are not so great...

 

One of my favorites is the Minnesota Wild having no outlines on the TV numbers and captain patches. While this bothers a lot of people, I really enjoy this weird quirk. I think the red would bleed to much at a smaller distance. It also looks the same as the previous green jerseys. 

Image result for mikko koivu

 

My least favorite quirk is the Steelers helmet. The one side logo is one of the dumbest traditions in sports. I've heard that a lot of people really like it, but it's not like it's a weird shaped logo that would be ruined by showing it backwards. It's circular and would still maintain the balance of the logo properly if it was on both sides. Image result for steelers helmet both sides

 

 

So what are some of your favorite and least favorite quirks? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Favorite - The Tigers being navy/white at home and navy/orange on the road. Both unis look good and would be tough to replace.

 

Least favorite - Those Ohio State football unis with the black TV numbers. Never saw the point of those being black... They were harder to read than they would've been white.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm unable to find the previous thread on small details that bother you, so I'll include them as a couple of my least favorite "quirks" here if that works.

 

Let's look at 2/3 SEC Tiger teams: LSU and Auburn. Both schools have great uniforms with fairly traditional designs and beautiful colors, but both teams need to fix their striping IMO.

 

First, Auburn:

We have 3 sets of stripes. On the pants, white surrounds navy with orange in the middle. On the sleeves, they stripes match up with the pants, WBOBW. On the helmet, you have five stripes like the jersey but they don't match the pants. They still look great because it's a simple design, but I always notice this little issue.

hi-res-daecd80e7be3db4ffc4935a0c07a3d02_crop_north.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top

 

Meanwhile, on the road:

The stripes on the jersey match the helmet. We basically have these conflicting ideas, 5 stripes on the helmet/jersey, 3 on the pants, creating two possible "solutions." Either add the extra stripe to the pants (and maybe adjust the home jersey stripes) or close the gap on the road jersey/helmet. I'm curious as to whether others have thoughts on this issue. I like the 5 stripes for Auburn, it just bothers me that it isn't consistent.

MIFVZIQZEZDH3I7AK3WORDEMIQ.jpg

 

Now, LSU:

You have awesome colors and a classic design with one element out of wack, the pants stripes. Why add the sliver of yellow between the white and purple?! Is there a good explanation for this, other than perhaps tradition? Having white and yellow touch is something you want to avoid anyway since they can get muddled, but it's made worse by the fact that you could just match the helmet and look perfect. What's the deal?

usa_today_13734776.0.jpg

 

Florida does it right, even though I slightly prefer the looks of both teams above:

Orange helmet, white jersey, blue pants, and the stripes are always the same order. Their home numbers match this order as well.

9fbb2780-915c-46b5-b470-01f1b29ba1e1-USATSI_11724117.jpg?width=540&height=&fit=bounds&auto=webp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Some uniforms have weird quirks that doesn't follow normal tradition. Things like a logo placed somewhere weird, or an odd "rule" that the teams designs don't follow. Some of these are great, some of these are not so great...

 

One of my favorites is the Minnesota Wild having no outlines on the TV numbers and captain patches. While this bothers a lot of people, I really enjoy this weird quirk. I think the red would bleed to much at a smaller distance. It also looks the same as the previous green jerseys. 

 

 

My least favorite quirk is the Steelers helmet. The one side logo is one of the dumbest traditions in sports. I've heard that a lot of people really like it, but it's not like it's a weird shaped logo that would be ruined by showing it backwards. It's circular and would still maintain the balance of the logo properly if it was on both sides. 

 

 

So what are some of your favorite and least favorite quirks? 

That's a solid candidate for my "least favorite."  I don't like sleeve/shoulder/TV numbers not matching back numbers...The Patriots did it the first year of Flying Elvis, I think VA Tech has done it...and a few more. I think the Wild uniform would be way, way better if they'd outline the sleeve number.  Don't care so much about the captain's patch.

 

I agree with you on the Steelers...Displays have to put the Steelers on the left (even it it mixes up the home/road placement) or "errantly" put the logo on the left side.

 

For my own favorite: I suppose you could call the four-fingered glove in the BiG a quirk...and it has a good purpose...otherwise, Nebraska putting players' home area codes on the helmet bumper.  I generally don't like uniform elements that lack uniformity, but I like this for some reason...and it's a very small detail.

 

For my own least favorite: Padres gap in the "D."  Whatever they're going for, it just doesn't work.  Others include:

  • Rays representing two different things.
  • The Phillies sleeve numbers.  They just look odd and I can't believe they've been around for so long

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, one of my favorite quirks was there dichotomy between the Minnesota Vikings' home and road looks in the 80s and 90s (and up til '04):

 

ows_136789830979388.jpg

 

Carter-Cris-6.jpg?52792

 

I don't know that it was ever explained why the away jerseys had shoulder loops.  And since we're discussing shoulder loops...

 

... One of my favorite CFB uniforms from the 90s had them. But this one was unique in that while the home jerseys were bright light blue. the aways featured none of it, just navy bounced off gold, creating yet another dichotomous pair:

 

nov-1997-quarterback-cade-mcnown-of-ucla

 

 

dec-1998-quarterback-cade-mcnown-of-the-

 

(Before anyone mentions it, I know the NY Giants do the dichotomous thing, too--and at one point so did the Jaguars--but I don't care for those as much.)

 

Here's another one-- and I think only one other team did this at the time: back in the day, some of the Buccaneers players had a raised-grid-stitch thing going on with the shoulder yokes of their jerseys...

 

d21575c97d6eda29bbac787e0e43841c.jpg

 

224014.jpeg&c=sc&w=1600&h=1075

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 1:15 PM, -Akronite- said:

I'm unable to find the previous thread on small details that bother you, so I'll include them as a couple of my least favorite "quirks" here if that works.

 

Let's look at 2/3 SEC Tiger teams: LSU and Auburn. Both schools have great uniforms with fairly traditional designs and beautiful colors, but both teams need to fix their striping IMO.

 

First, Auburn:

We have 3 sets of stripes. On the pants, white surrounds navy with orange in the middle. On the sleeves, they stripes match up with the pants, WBOBW. On the helmet, you have five stripes like the jersey but they don't match the pants. They still look great because it's a simple design, but I always notice this little issue.

hi-res-daecd80e7be3db4ffc4935a0c07a3d02_crop_north.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top

 

Meanwhile, on the road:

The stripes on the jersey match the helmet. We basically have these conflicting ideas, 5 stripes on the helmet/jersey, 3 on the pants, creating two possible "solutions." Either add the extra stripe to the pants (and maybe adjust the home jersey stripes) or close the gap on the road jersey/helmet. I'm curious as to whether others have thoughts on this issue. I like the 5 stripes for Auburn, it just bothers me that it isn't consistent.

MIFVZIQZEZDH3I7AK3WORDEMIQ.jpg

 

The stripes on the home Auburn jersey are the same as the helmet, just with colors inverted on the jersey. The fact that the same Northwestern-style stripes look like the helmet on the away jersey proves this. 

 

The only stripes that are different from the helmet and jerseys are the pants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 10:50 AM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Least favorite - Those Ohio State football unis with the black TV numbers. Never saw the point of those being black... They were harder to read than they would've been white.

Those were throwbacks to the 1968 championship team. They made a set for the 1993 season as a one off jersey. They placed the numbers in the proper spot, on the sleeves. For the 2014 uniforms they placed them on the shoulders rather than shrinking the sleeve stripes. I preferred the Earl Bruce era uniforms with the oversized shoulder numbers myself.

 

3 hours ago, Buc said:

224014.jpeg&c=sc&w=1600&h=1075

The Bears had players that did this as well. Some folks said it was a unique way to ID team captains and others say it was a way of strengthening the shoulders and yokes of those players that would get tugged and pulled on a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 4:41 PM, MJWalker45 said:

The Bears had players that did this as well. Some folks said it was a unique way to ID team captains and others say it was a way of strengthening the shoulders and yokes of those players that would get tugged and pulled on a lot. 

 

Some of the Eagles players a couple years back (McCoy and Vick off the top of my head) had the shoulder stitching as well

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like: Baseball hats with different colored squatchee and crown.  It do not want it on every hat, but it is a nice feature on those that have it.

 

Don't Like: the trend of football helmets with a logo on one side and the player's number on the other--pick one or the other.  Yesterday, it was featured on Hawaii, Boise St, Virginia, Memphis, FAU.....and it looked bad every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason, I always thought the Lightning "Victory Stripes" (in the armpit) were kinda cool. I never knew they existed until I actually saw a Lightning jersey in a store.

 

1243500123_f845f192e2_o.png

 

dave-andreychuk.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are going into the uniform memory vault for this one.  For some odd stuff from the early 1980s Western Hockey League.

 

Favourite uniform quirk:

 

The Regina Pats wore their nameplates below the numbers for a few seasons.  Maybe because when the jerseys were made there was no room for the nameplates above the number?  Really odd in hockey in North America but I kind of dig it for its uniqueness.  Hard to find pictures.  Can see it starting at the 40 second mark of this video about the 1984 WHL Finals:

 

https://cfjctoday.com/2019/05/09/35-years-ago-may-9-1984-jr-oilers-win-first-whl-championship-for-kamloops/

 

Least favourite:

 

The Lethbridge Broncos wearing the Cooperalls striped to look similar to short pants with socks:

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quirks I love:

 

-Numbers on sleeves of baseball jerseys, but only for a few teams who have a history of it: Phillies (currently), Tigers, White Sox, Athletics.

 

-The mismatched design of the Minnesota Vikings jerseys, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

 

-The mismatched shades of blue between the helmets and jerseys of the Los Angeles Rams.

 

-Detroit Tigers navy/white at home, navy/orange on the road, as mentioned earlier in this thread. Likewise, South Carolina baseball has traditionally worn garnet/white as the home team and black/white as the road team for College World Series appearances and I love it.

 

-Philadephia Flyers contrasting nameplates.

 

-"Nebraska Football - A Winning Tradition" patch.

 

-I LOVED when the Toronto Maple Leafs and Buffalo Sabres wore socks with far more stripes than were featured on the jerseys.

 

dion_phaneuf___toronto_maple_leafs_2012_

28047.jpg

 

 

Quirks I dislike:

 

-Unnecessary striping inconsistencies, particularly the extra yellow space on the LSU football pants (and Green Bay, I believe) or the mismatched color pattern on the old Buffalo Sabres white sweaters (blue and yellow stripes are flip-flopped between the sleeve and hem).

 

5bd201d3131b838c.jpg

 

-The Dallas Cowboys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 4:17 PM, WSU151 said:

 

The stripes on the home Auburn jersey are the same as the helmet, just with colors inverted on the jersey. The fact that the same Northwestern-style stripes look like the helmet on the away jersey proves this. 

 

The only stripes that are different from the helmet and jerseys are the pants. 

 

Yes! It's difficult to outline it my point, but what I mean is that there are two different ways to establish a striping pattern's consistency and in either measure Auburn is not cohesive. 

 

The home jersey works with the helmet as a simple inverse (always 5 stripes). You could also make the argument that the home jersey matches the pants (always the same color sequence). But by either rule you don't have a cohesive set because the pants don't match the helmet.

 

On 12/3/2019 at 11:50 AM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Least favorite - Those Ohio State football unis with the black TV numbers. Never saw the point of those being black... They were harder to read than they would've been white.

 

I think the bit of black looks really cool, but for a full time look I prefer going back to the classic white TV numbers.

 

8-001759__18186.1557349461.jpg?c=2

 

The team has teased that they are going to wear the 68 throwbacks (black TV numbers) for the Fiesta Bowl this year. It's also rumored that they may go to them full time, which I would prefer (black or white TV numbers) to the current set that has no gray on the home jersey.

 

 

Overall I love the set. Looks great, especially in the newer templates IMO.

 

Image result for cardale jones alabama"

Image result for cardale jones oregon"

 

I also hope, unlike their primaries since these jerseys came out, they use the Block O on the chest (rather than the primary logo) and the Buckeye leaves for titles on the back neck (rather than the Buckeyes wordmark).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hate the colored sleeve ends on hockey jerseys. Not the ones like the Rangers, Blackhawks, or Habs have, but like the thin very end of the sleeve... Like the Winnipeg Jets. 

Image result for winnipeg jets

You can see it just under Scheifele's gloves. It's super dumb. It adds nothing, as 99.9% of the time it's covered by the gloves of the player.

  Related image

You can't even see it in this photo. While it's mostly irrelevant on the ice, there are many brand new jersey designers, who will for no apparent reason, change the color on the ends, and the sleeves just look incomplete, and quite frankly, like the person doesn't know what they're doing. It's more irritating that a rookie designer can look at an NHL team, and go "oh nice, I'll copy them!" Even though it's ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Favourite quirk are Tampa's victory stripes as already mentioned.

 

Least favourite are the Flyers nameplates. It looks like they lazily stole them from another jersey. It's even more annoying because their jerseys would otherwise be perfect.

fBawM1v.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

giannisflexes.jpg?cb=517a2eb629b58c04bf1spacer.png

 

Gotta be the stupid single blue armpit block on the Bucks rainbow remix.  It's distracting and inconsequential.  The cream blocks don't work well with the white either, but that's a larger design flaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One quirk that I can't tell if I love or hate: Philadelphia Flyers' captaincy patch are white on their white jerseys. They've gone back and forth between white and black over the years, but currently they've gone back to white.

 

cut.jpg

Claude-Giroux-Flyers-575x384.jpg

 

Also this is the first time I'm noticing how dumb their current collars look. What the hell is that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 3:46 PM, NoE38 said:

Favourite quirk are Tampa's victory stripes as already mentioned.

 

Least favourite are the Flyers nameplates. It looks like they lazily stole them from another jersey. It's even more annoying because their jerseys would otherwise be perfect.

fBawM1v.jpg

I’m the opposite. I love contrasting nameplates. Though, I’d like White paneled baseball caps : good for one or two teams but terrible as a trend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like others, I like the Tigers' different color schemes for home and road. I just wish they'd get rid of the white outlines on the roads, then they'd be perfect. I also preferred the quirk of the different D logos for the hat and jersey.

 

I usually like when teams inverse the color hierarchy for the away uniforms, like the Cardinals' blue hats, the NY Giants red numbers (though I prefer the original 2000 aways), the late 90s Falcons, etc.

 

A quirk that I loved was Notre Dame's green uniforms. It used to be that green and blue were kept separate; it was either blue and gold, or green and gold. It worked, and I loved it. Then Under Armour came along and had to muck it up by forcing blue into the green uniforms, and it looks terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.