Favorite and Least Favorite Uniform Quirks

The thing I don't like is piping, except on baseball uniforms

on hockey & football especially it usually looks real bad.

What I do like?

When teams try something different that isn't dated or a horrible colour clash.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

On 12/13/2019 at 11:39 PM, Zeus89725 said:

I hate when the sleeve striping on hockey jerseys doesn't match the hem striping.

Image result for maple leafs jersey

In most cases I like when teams do that. 100% stripe consistency is a little boring to me.

The current Maple Leafs both do a fantastic job with stripe consistency while not just slapping the same design everywhere. Their sleeve stripes match their sock stripes, and their hem stripes match their pants stripe.

jNTsTyQ.png

On 12/9/2019 at 10:45 AM, -Akronite- said:

Yes! It's difficult to outline it my point, but what I mean is that there are two different ways to establish a striping pattern's consistency and in either measure Auburn is not cohesive. 

The home jersey works with the helmet as a simple inverse (always 5 stripes). You could also make the argument that the home jersey matches the pants (always the same color sequence). But by either rule you don't have a cohesive set because the pants don't match the helmet.

I think the bit of black looks really cool, but for a full time look I prefer going back to the classic white TV numbers.

8-001759__18186.1557349461.jpg?c=2

The team has teased that they are going to wear the 68 throwbacks (black TV numbers) for the Fiesta Bowl this year. It's also rumored that they may go to them full time, which I would prefer (black or white TV numbers) to the current set that has no gray on the home jersey.

Overall I love the set. Looks great, especially in the newer templates IMO.

Image result for cardale jones alabama"

Image result for cardale jones oregon"

I also hope, unlike their primaries since these jerseys came out, they use the Block O on the chest (rather than the primary logo) and the Buckeye leaves for titles on the back neck (rather than the Buckeyes wordmark).

I think the reason they went to the wordmark over the leaves is the potential that you would have to add another jersey every other year should the team get a streak going. Fans would be fine with that, but if you needed to use an older jersey in an emergency they would stand out from everyone else. I'd also like them to slightly darken the grey as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

In response to the OP's point about the Wild, it works for them because the green they use is pretty dark. Dallas on the other hand, is absolutely begging for a black outline on their names/numbers, and for whatever inexplicable reason they don't have one despite all the black in their identity, it really drags the look down.

19879091-1040x572.jpg

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I like Dallas doing the single-layer numbers, since the whole point of the uniform design is that black and green never touch. The "no touch" rule is a good quirk, especially when dealing with similar shades.

Except that they break that rule with the shoulder patches, home helmet logo, and the road crest. And I also like the "no touch" rule, but sometimes you have to break that on a set for the little things like the numbers and logos...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

12 hours ago, monkeypower said:

But this looks so much better.

42917058_10156805218461869_8267190915219

texasotb161214.jpg

No it doesn’t. 1. You can barely even tell it’s there. 2. It takes away and makes the numbers stand out less, on the stars jersey the number pop off the jersey, on the what ever team that is the black outline dulls the number as a whole.

On 12/9/2019 at 8:45 AM, -Akronite- said:

Yes! It's difficult to outline it my point, but what I mean is that there are two different ways to establish a striping pattern's consistency and in either measure Auburn is not cohesive. 

The home jersey works with the helmet as a simple inverse (always 5 stripes). You could also make the argument that the home jersey matches the pants (always the same color sequence). But by either rule you don't have a cohesive set because the pants don't match the helmet.

I think the bit of black looks really cool, but for a full time look I prefer going back to the classic white TV numbers.

8-001759__18186.1557349461.jpg?c=2

The team has teased that they are going to wear the 68 throwbacks (black TV numbers) for the Fiesta Bowl this year. It's also rumored that they may go to them full time, which I would prefer (black or white TV numbers) to the current set that has no gray on the home jersey.

Overall I love the set. Looks great, especially in the newer templates IMO.

Image result for cardale jones alabama"

Image result for cardale jones oregon"

I also hope, unlike their primaries since these jerseys came out, they use the Block O on the chest (rather than the primary logo) and the Buckeye leaves for titles on the back neck (rather than the Buckeyes wordmark).

On that note, I like the thicker black stripes on the pants, even if it’s inconsistent with the helmet stripes.

On 12/9/2019 at 1:01 AM, Bmac said:

Quirks I dislike:

-Unnecessary striping inconsistencies, particularly the extra yellow space on the LSU football pants (and Green Bay, I believe)

No, that's just LSU, the Packers don't do that.  Oddly enough, LSU's pants stripe does match something: the stripe on their occasionally-worn white helmets.  Which have never been paired with the gold pants IIRC.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 12/18/2019 at 12:25 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I think the reason they went to the wordmark over the leaves is the potential that you would have to add another jersey every other year should the team get a streak going. Fans would be fine with that, but if you needed to use an older jersey in an emergency they would stand out from everyone else. I'd also like them to slightly darken the grey as well. 

This is a football program worth more than a billion dollars. Would they actually be concerned with this issue? Honest question, as I don't know how equipment managers deal.

But my guess/assumption would that since they have a guy on staff dedicated to tracking and applying Buckeye leaves to the helmet, they could manage to stitch a new leaf for every year they win a title. It'd be worth it if they ever managed such a dynasty.

Also agreed on the gray. The road looks are always great but could use a bit more contrast between the white and gray.

On 12/20/2019 at 12:09 AM, rxmc89 said:

On that note, I like the thicker black stripes on the pants, even if it’s inconsistent with the helmet stripes.

Don't agree but appreciate the viewpoint.

24 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

This is a football program worth more than a billion dollars. Would they actually be concerned with this issue? Honest question, as I don't know how equipment managers deal.

But my guess/assumption would that since they have a guy on staff dedicated to tracking and applying Buckeye leaves to the helmet, they could manage to stitch a new leaf for every year they win a title. It'd be worth it if they ever managed such a dynasty.

Also agreed on the gray. The road looks are always great but could use a bit more contrast between the white and gray.

Don't agree but appreciate the viewpoint.

They also have a fan base that would actually get annoyed if they were forced to buy a new jersey every year if they went on a run like Alabama did this decade. There would be quite a few who would buy them up but not everyone would. And Nike only gives a set amount of uniforms per year, even for the big clients. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

They also have a fan base that would actually get annoyed if they were forced to buy a new jersey every year if they went on a run like Alabama did this decade. There would be quite a few who would buy them up but not everyone would. And Nike only gives a set amount of uniforms per year, even for the big clients. 

Wouldn't the fact that they are a major partner with a large fanbase encourage changes to the uniform to increase sales? This would be a relatively minor detail on the back of the neck that many Walmart fans wouldn't notice or care about. I'm not saying you're wrong though, just not sure I get it.

When it comes down to it, putting "Buckeyes" there just feels like they needed to fill the space. But they don't. It's a nice idea with the leaves but anything else seems like a pointless, if inoffensive, addition. Regardless, would love to bring that back.

Basil-OSU-uniform.jpg

Archived