Texas Rangers Go Powder Blue, Unveil Five New Uniforms

SportsLogos.Net News

Somehow they've found a way to make an already convoluted identity even more muddled.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They added baby blue shelve stripes to the royal blue set? Why oh why?

I hate those socks the most. 

The TX hat is useless. The other bp hat is a waste. 

What worked with powder blue in the past was teams not going totally powder blue. Their caps were not powder blue. Just their jerseys. So they are taking it to a new level now. 

The double outline in the cursive script is just sad. 

I do like the return to rangers at home. 

A two tone T cap would've been most ideal. 

A very lateral move. 

So much about this is terrible.  The powder blue is just the start.

That font with the notch in the middle is perfect for the team; to remove it from the home jersey is foolish.  And to replace it with a generic script is doubly so.  (Even if that script resembles a script the team had before.)  Also, the use of drop shadows in place of outlines is ridiculous.  Finally, a TX cap logo is totally unnecessary.

The Rangers had it perfectly right the last time they openend a new ballpark.

Image result for texas rangers 1996  Image result for texas rangers 1996

No goofy dark-coloured jerseys, no alts; just a straighforward, dignified baseball uniform.  This would have been the move to make again.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

That “Rangers” script might be the most awful cursive mark since the Cubs’ “Cuba” script.

Aside from that, it’s a lateral move. The blue jerseys don’t need powder stripes, powder is kind of “blah” for the club, and the “TX” should be a “TR” and replace the flag logo. The drop shadow is OK, but I’d rather it be all-shadow or all-double outlines. They were meh before, but now are sub-meh.

With the move to the new ballpark, Texas had the opportunity to clean up their look. Tweaking the font, dropping the drop shadow altogether, and putting "Rangers" on the home jerseys... and they only did one of these, in a lackluster fashion.

Disappointing. They're going to stay on my "teams that need a change" list.

All of these uniforms would get a passing grade from me in a vacuum... some higher than others.

But as a set? This is way too much mix and match. No semblance of color balance or consistency. They actually make the Brewers new set look streamlined by comparison. 

I'm not a fan of these sleeve bands and corresponding pants stripes coming back.  I get that they're a nod to the ones they wore in the 70s, but they didn't look good then and they don't look good now.  {Looks at Yankees road jerseys and smirks.}  The 70s and 80s were a bad era of baseball uniforms, one we don't need to repeat.

Also, they need to wear a blue cap with with blue lettering on the jersey, and a red cap with red lettering on the jersey. 

rangers-new-home-uniform-2020-590x435.jpgImage result for 1978 texas rangers

Overall, unlike the Brewers and Padres, who I personally think nailed pretty much every aspect of their redesigns, this Rangers set, although it definitely has some positives, has some negatives as well. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:

• The new, thicker striping is an immense improvement. I hope this is the start of a trend across the league. The thin piping to me is just as much of a dated look of the early 2000’s as it is for the Reebok NFL designs such as the Cardinals and Falcons.
  • The resurrection of baby blue is (in principle) and inspired choice. If they had decided to use it more throughout the set, it could have done a lot to separate them from the other blue & red teams in the league.
  • The new “TX” logo isn’t bad. I like the Spring Training uniform.

Cons:

• As of right now, I’m not at all big on the new script on the home & baby blue uniforms. It might grow on me, but as of right now it does not look like it belongs on a Major League uniform to me. I’d have much preferred that they went back to the late 80’s, early 90’s script.
  • While I don’t mind the inclusion of baby blue, it feels forced onto the royal blue jerseys, being only placed in the stripes. While I like the overall look of the powder jersey, the powder cap paired with it is just too much.
  • Now that the numbers are drop-shadow, they no longer match the wordmarks. The Rangers need to pick either drop-shadows or double-outlines. Though, I don’t imagine the drop-shadows would look good on the wordmarks, so maybe they should just drop them entirely.
  • The Rangers still can’t pick whether they’re a red team or a blue team. While I like the addition of the red cap with the blue brim for the alternate, that should have meant the end for the all-red cap. It’s also a shame the blue cap with the red brim isn’t a part of the team’s primary rotation, that could be theirs to own. They can still have equal amounts of red & blue, but just don’t separate them among the different uniforms.

All in all, though the bigger stripes are a huge improvement, most of everything else seems like a downgrade to me. It’s a shame, we were on such a good run.

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

So much about this is terrible.  The powder blue is just the start.

That font with the notch in the middle is perfect for the team; to remove it from the home jersey is foolish.  And to replace it with a generic script is doubly so.  (Even if that script resembles a script the team had before.)  Also, the use of drop shadows in place of outlines is ridiculous.  Finally, a TX cap logo is totally unnecessary.

The Rangers had it perfectly right the last time they openend a new ballpark.

Image result for texas rangers 1996  Image result for texas rangers 1996

No goofy dark-coloured jerseys, no alts; just a straighforward, dignified baseball uniform.  This would have been the move to make again.

Change the red to blue and blue to red (to get away from the Angels), boom, done.

On the homes and roads, I like the red-white-blue trim but I don't understand adding the drop shadow to the numbers but not the scripts on the front. They're clearly unwilling to change the primary cap logo, so you might as well go all in on the drop shadow concept. I hate that they still can't decide if the primary home uniform should have blue or red caps. The new alternate caps are irredeemably awful.

That script is also terrible, especially when compared to what came before.

spacer.png

Archived