Charlotte MLS Concept by mcrosby

mcrosby

Charlotte's getting an MLS club and the MLS finally has a team that deserves the United monicker...but they wasted it on 40 or 50 other clubs. In the spirit of German clubs and with their owner's continued "One Carolina" mantra I've thrown this together. 1 works well with the combined Carolinas and I think a bit with the NASCAR culture of NC. This is a first draft and I'd love to hear input to make this even better. 

W0jugPy.png

What's the actual name of the team? One Carolina FC? It's not exactly clear from the logos. That said, the ones without the gradient look better, and I prefer the top right, without the name. Very clear, and the "1C" is a clever icon that has plenty of march application. Great work!

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Brilliant! I prefer "One Carolina" as opposed to "1 Carolina", but both logos look absolutely fantastic. I assume you're using Panthers Blue for the accents?

I went with Hornets colors for now. Also, here's an update because the league has PLENTY of circular logos. 

9c20JZv.png

and a different color approach:

0uvfZqW.png

3 hours ago, mcrosby said:

How's this for a full logo lockup. I think the 1C/flag icon would still be primary. 

Nxvqn9C.png

WCWHrMV.png

I dig it. Really, I do.

I mean, the closest thing to a team name starting off with a number is Once Caldas in Colombia.

ggyDQdH6_400x400.png

This would look great on a black kit with blue hoops or a blue kit with a checkboard-patterned or all white crossed sash (city flag). Not sure if they'd go with black until new retractable stadium is built. Hopefully we don't get plain white away kits, I pray they buy this off of you if you're willing to sell it.

22 minutes ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

I wonder why some teams have '1.FC' in their name......

Maybe its because this particular city have formed their first football club ever?

It's precisely that, actually. "Erster Fußballclub" as ze Germanz say it

I think I prefer it oval-shaped or with just the flag. I was wondering who would make a Charlotte MLS concept first, but I’m glad it was you. Remember that one big MLS project you did years back where you predicted where the remaining teams would go? The one where you predicted there would be teams in places like Tulsa, Albuquerque, and San Juan? It’s interesting to see compared to how things actually turned out.

I like the name too, by the way. Excellent alternative to the overused name United. Racing Charlotte would be a cool one too.

6 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

I think I prefer it oval-shaped or with just the flag. I was wondering who would make a Charlotte MLS concept first, but I’m glad it was you. Remember that one big MLS project you did years back where you predicted where the remaining teams would go? The one where you predicted there would be teams in places like Tulsa, Albuquerque, and San Juan? It’s interesting to see compared to how things actually turned out.

I like the name too, by the way. Excellent alternative to the overused name United. Racing Charlotte would be a cool one too.

Whew that was a long time ago. I started another MLS series since then and never got around to finishing it. Maybe this'll be the start of a final finished project. 

As much as I understand the NASCAR tie, I just don't know that framing one sport's identity around another sport makes all that much sense.. it kinda muddles the meaning and could cause confusion (as most folks in the area might actually associate the logo with NASCAR, rather than soccer).. if there's another worthwhile angle, it may be worth exploring.. 

Excellent design work though.. I hate to criticize such a good concept, but I just kinda feel like this isn't the best local connection to make.. 

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

As much as I understand the NASCAR tie, I just don't know that framing one sport's identity around another sport makes all that much sense.. it kinda muddles the meaning and could cause confusion (as most folks in the area might actually associate the logo with NASCAR, rather than soccer).. if there's another worthwhile angle, it may be worth exploring.. 

Excellent design work though.. I hate to criticize such a good concept, but I just kinda feel like this isn't the best local connection to make.. 

A 100% fair sentiment. I'd love to explore other directions. What would you make the club? 

I like this.  I think it's a unique and creative brand since the easy route would be to call it Queen City FC, and that might even be what the eventual Charlotte team will be called.  I hope Charlotte does get an MLS team so that I may sit in the visitor's section when the Revs come to town. :)

mainescarf.png

Great job! I prefer the first set without the circle around it.  Circles and 3 point badges have been over-used.  The flag badge looks super nice. The only other thing I guess I could do without is the color black (too many! Even my Inter Miami has it). It's conflicting since the race flag has black squares by default BUT having seen concepts using Charlotte Hornets colors, my preference for anything Charlotte defaults to that combination.

On 12/5/2019 at 6:16 PM, mcrosby said:

Also, here's an update because the league has PLENTY of circular logos. 

9c20JZv.png

I have to say, I prefer the circular versions of these logo. The ovoid renderings look as though round marks were purposely distorted in order to discourage theft of the original intellectual property. It may be a result of the word marks within the borders seeming awkwardly stretched.

As to the notion that Major League Soccer "has PLENTY of circular logos", just six of the league's 27 team logos are primarily round. That's nothing compared to the 17 that are shield-shaped. 

Archived