The British Gridiron League (BGL) brings American Football to the United Kingdom and Ireland, and to Europe. With the playing of the NFL London games, the sport has gained popularity in the country. The creation of a separate league in the British Isles allows for the sport to be played there, without the NFL having to commit to having a full team there. The NFL would still play the London Series. The league would start with 10 12 teams, divided into a North Division and a South Division. The rules would be mostly the same as the NFL, *except with XFL-style kickoffs*. 

South Division

London Knights

Southampton Storm Spitfires

Bristol Marauders

Birmingham Cannons

Cardiff Dragons

Belfast Dublin Emeralds

North Division

Edinburgh Highlanders Kelpies

Manchester Industry

Liverpool Steamers

Glasgow Griffons

Leeds Owls

Newcastle Vibe

The season would run for 14 weeks, from the beginning of April through July. Each team would play each of their division opponents twice, and 3 of the teams from the other division. Each team would get one bye week. The playoffs would run over a course of four weeks, with a week between the Division Semis and Division Finals, and 2 weeks between the Division Finals and League Championship. 

League Logo/Shield

spacer.png

Banner Logo

spacer.png

Team Locations Poster

spacer.png

C&C Welcome and appreciated, it may be a few days before I can get any actual team concepts going, I've been busy with school and the like. Just wanted to get the league concept on here. 

spacer.png

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to mention this, but I decided to call it the "British Gridiron League" instead of the "British American Football League" or something similar to that. "Football" is used to refer to association football/soccer, or rugby, and I feel that it wouldn't become as popular if they include "American" in a league with all British teams. In America, we call the rest of the world's "football" something else, so I think it'd be perfectly acceptable for them to call our kind of "football" something else in Britain. 

spacer.png

51 minutes ago, Whittier S said:

Full disclosure, I've used the name before, but I think Manchester Machine would work much better as a name.

Ooh nice I like that one. They might be more apt to use Industry though, since that more closely fits the naming scheme of European sports 

spacer.png

Southampton Spitfires 

The Spitfire - the most widely produced and strategically important British single-seater fighter plane of World War II - was designed and developed at the Supermarine Aviation Works in the Southampton suburb of Woolston, with a significant amount of the aircraft's production taking place in the Southampton area, as well. The Spitfire, which first proved itself during the Battle of Britain, went on the become the foundation of the Royal Air Force's Fighter Command for the remainder of World War II. It served as an interceptor, photo-reconnaissance, fighter-bomber, and trainer in the European, Mediterranean, Pacific, and Southeast Asian theaters.    

14 hours ago, ATolly66 said:

I think you need to have more than one team in London. For the Premiership, there are at least 3 teams in the table every year, who represent a different part of the city. 

I originally was going to include a second London team, however, I feel that at least at first, the sport isn't popular enough to have 2 teams in London (it still is popular, but I think there'd just be the market for one team as of now). 

spacer.png

London Knights

South Division

Stadium: Wembley Stadium

Jersey Sponsor: Vodafone

The first team, the London Knights. They would play at Wembley Stadium. Yes, I know the name seems a bit generic (it's better than the Monarchs or the Royals, though). However, this team would very likely become "Britain's Team", or the team that is used as a flagship for the whole league. I think that Knights works well for that,.

Main Logo: 

spacer.png

Banner Logos (Each BGL Team will have one)

spacer.png

Wordmark

spacer.png

Uniforms: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 12/9/2019 at 6:17 PM, heavybassX said:

Especially if it's like the Montreal Machine of the old World Football league

Actually, it was the World League of American Football (or later World League/NFL Europe).  WFL was a different league played in the 70s.  That being said, the Montreal Machine had a nice color scheme which hasn't been used yet.  

By the way, PROPS to both the WLAF for giving us some pretty unique and original color schemes. (Orlando Thunder <3) 

Manchester Industry

North Division

Stadium: Etihad Stadium

Jersey Sponsor: Siemens

Presenting the Manchester Industry, a.k.a. the Discount Pittsburgh Steelers (just kidding, that wasn't my intent). The name comes from the city's industrial past (in fact, Manchester is known as the "first industrial city"). The color scheme comes from worker bees and bees in general being a symbol of the city. 

Main Logo: 

spacer.png

Banner Logo: 

spacer.png

Wordmark (would not include the "est. 2020" and "Gridiron Football Club" on it)

spacer.png

Uniforms:

spacer.png

C&C welcome and appreciated!

spacer.png

Archived