Belfast Emeralds

South Division

Stadium: Windsor Park

Jersey Sponsor: Guinness

The final team (for now) the Belfast Emeralds, located in Belfast, Northern Ireland. The name comes from the fact that Ireland is the Emerald Isle, and the name is fairly nondescript (a.k.a. non-controversial). 

Main Logo

spacer.png

Uniforms

spacer.png

Banner

spacer.png

Wordmark

spacer.png

Moving forward: Score graphics, championship/game logos, there may be a few additional teams coming along later. 

C&C Welcome and Appreciated. 

spacer.png

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Maroon&Gold said:

I would definitely avoid green in any form for a team in Belfast

Why is that, is that particularly controversial or something? Is that associated with one side or the other in the conflicts in Northern Ireland?

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, Viperion101 said:

Why is that, is that particularly controversial or something? Is that associated with one side or the other in the conflicts in Northern Ireland?

Green is associated with Catholicism (and republicanism) in Ireland and using it prominently could be seen as taking a side. The meaning in the Irish flag is that green stands for Catholicism (green being the color of the native Irish) and orange represents Scots-Irish protestants who were loyal to William of Orange (also where we get the term hillbilly from because of Scots-Irish immigration to Appalachia)

11 hours ago, Maroon&Gold said:

Green is associated with Catholicism (and republicanism) in Ireland and using it prominently could be seen as taking a side. The meaning in the Irish flag is that green stands for Catholicism (green being the color of the native Irish) and orange represents Scots-Irish protestants who were loyal to William of Orange (also where we get the term hillbilly from because of Scots-Irish immigration to Appalachia)

Got it, thanks. That's what I had assumed, but I'm American and we don't learn that much about the Northern Ireland conflict in school or anything. 

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Viperion101 said:

Any suggestions on a different name? Or a way to portray "Emeralds" (I still think that it's a good name for a team), without using green?

I think iconography that predates the christianization of Ireland would be best. I think the least controversial symbolism would be something derived from the red hand of Ulster. I think emeralds would be a good identity for Dublin if you took the meaning of British to mean anything in the British Isles

Dublin Emeralds

Stadium: Aviva Stadium

The Belfast Emeralds have now become the Dublin Emeralds. This would help expand the BGL into the Irish market, and apparently would be less controversial than having a green team in Belfast. It would probably end up being a Toronto Raptors-esque team, with the whole Republic of Ireland supporting the team. There probably would be at least a decent amount of support in Belfast and Northern Ireland as well. Jerseys, logos, and banner would remain the same (except with the "D" logo replacing the "B" logo).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

BGL Championship/Playoffs Concept

"The Isles Cup"

The BGL Championship, and trophy, would be known as the "Isles Cup" (after the British Isles). The playoffs would be known as the "Isles Cup Playoffs", and the actual championship game would be known as the "Isles Cup Championship". 

The Trophy: 

The Isles Cup trophy features a crown at the base, and a standard "cup" design with edges curving up towards the top. It also features a BGL logo on the front of the crown. It would be made of gold. It would be about 2 feet tall.  

spacer.png

The Championship Game:

The championship game itself would be known as the "Isles Cup Championship", and would use Roman numerals, like the Super Bowl. It would be played at a different stadium each year (would be a rotating schedule of all 12 BGL stadiums). 

spacer.png

The Playoffs: 

The top three teams from each division would make the playoffs. Ranking is determined first by regular season record, then by regular season head-to-head record, then by strength of schedule, then by home record (the last 3 are tiebreakers). The first seed from each division gets a bye week, and advances straight to the Division Final. The second and third seeds play each other in the Division Semifinal, with the game being hosted at the Second Seed's stadium, and the winner advances to the Division Final. A week or two would pass after the Division Final before the Isles Cup Championship. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

"Home field advantage" (wouldn't really matter because the host stadium for the game is on a rotation) would alternate each year by division. 

Field and Uniforms for Isles Cup IV: 

spacer.png

spacer.png  

spacer.png

C&C Welcome and Appreciated. 

spacer.png

On 12/13/2019 at 1:59 AM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

All I can think about when seeing the logo is the opportunity for the team being named Manchester Machine. I like the jerseys a lot, but I am not one to know much about norms for football style. 

I love the logo and the uniforms, but I'm really disliking the nickname Industry. Since the city had the world's first inter-city passenger railway station and the oldest remaining railway station, why not call them the Engineers?

N3d5IIl.png

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/18/2020 at 7:06 PM, Viperion101 said:

Newcastle Vibe

North Division

Stadium: St. James' Park

Jersey Sponsor: British Petroleum (BP)

The first expansion team, the Newcastle Vibe. As mentioned in an earlier post, the team takes its name from the city of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne's close ties with British music of all types (many famous British artists are from there). The main logo is supposed to look like a record with sound waves across it. The team would probably be most well-known for its vibrant colors. 

Uniforms

spacer.png

This is my favorite one yet. It gives off that Orlando Thunder vibrency 

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2020 at 11:24 PM, Viperion101 said:

Dublin Emeralds

Stadium: Aviva Stadium

The Belfast Emeralds have now become the Dublin Emeralds. This would help expand the BGL into the Irish market, and apparently would be less controversial than having a green team in Belfast. It would probably end up being a Toronto Raptors-esque team, with the whole Republic of Ireland supporting the team. There probably would be at least a decent amount of support in Belfast and Northern Ireland as well. Jerseys, logos, and banner would remain the same (except with the "D" logo replacing the "B" logo).

spacer.png

You should make the alternate the primary home uniforms.

Archived