Special Number Font Discussion

Reyes47

1 hour ago, Shumway said:

I'm more intrigued by the bottom half of the jersey and sleeves...did they just add extra material (that doesn't match) because Zdeno's so damn tall?

I ain't even notice that. Good catch. And you know I don't know, but that's a good question.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 12/18/2019 at 11:28 AM, Buc said:

maple-leafs-capitals-shutterstock-editor

None of these would pass muster today (and that Eagles jersey is a bootleg), but they're a reminder of the days when sports identities had a little more "fun" to them. 

I got a lot more to share on this topic, but that'll have to wait for another time....

For shame that you didn't post a photo of what they had to do to that lettering to get Konowalchuk's name on the back when he wore it.

spacer.png

49 minutes ago, RedRenesis said:

For shame that you didn't post a photo of what they had to do to that lettering to get Konowalchuk's name on the back when he wore it.

spacer.png

Well...if we're gonna go that route, then let us behold the undisputed king of WHTF NOB lettering (and, while we're at it, this kinda has to do with the number font thing, too)...

Jarrod+Saltalamacchia+Texas+Rangers+Phot

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dredge up this old topic (and be slightly off topic), but I’m unable to start a new topic. I was wondering if anyone could identify these fonts (or something similar). I believe the jersey font is described in places as gothic modern, but all searches for gothic modern are, well, very gothic. Any help appreciated! spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, hanny said:

Sorry to dredge up this old topic (and be slightly off topic), but I’m unable to start a new topic. I was wondering if anyone could identify these fonts (or something similar). I believe the jersey font is described in places as gothic modern, but all searches for gothic modern are, well, very gothic. Any help appreciated! 

Jersey font is also called Fancy Block in some places as well, but I think its a form of Clarendon with some extra flourishes and serifs similar to some Tiffany fonts.  I would use Nike Kansas 2 as a base, make it a tad thinner, remove the spurs, and add some extra serifs.

As for the helmet numbers, those look to be imitating a common sans serif sign painting font, then known as Egyptian, and I usually use Letterhead Font's version with some minor adjustments on the 2 and 7.

For the future, there are a couple threads all about identifying fonts, if you have any addition fonts you need help finding.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think every team needs a custom number font, but I usually prefer it when they do. There are so many ways to do a block number that are unique without looking bad. If you can have a font that fits into your brand overall, use it! If not, don't use the same block font everyone else in the league uses. Do something different!

Archived