Eight Names Trademarked for Future Charlotte MLS Team

SportsLogos.Net News

Eight Names Trademarked for Future Charlotte MLS Team

December 11, 2019 - 22:45 PM

Major League Soccer hasn’t even announced they’re getting a franchise yet, but that hasn’t stopped the future Charlotte team from getting a name ready. Thanks to Twitter user @ByNeilMorris, we’ve learned that on December 6th, DT Soccer, LLC filed trademarks […]

Read More...

9 minutes ago, henburg said:

Charlotte Monarchs sounds really nice to me. 

Yeah, but Monarchs probably would use a form of the Charlotte crown. RSL, Cincy, and Chicago all use a crown in their identity. Chicago is far more abstract, but it's still referred to as a "fire crown."  If there weren't already several crowns I'd like Charlotte Monarchs or the un-suggested Queen City SC.

All Carolina stood out to me. Not as good, but as something that's probably in their top 2 or 3 options.

I understand the reasoning behind the desire to select Charlotte Monarchs FC or Charlotte Crown FC as a team name. That said, with other MLS clubs - Chicago Fire FC, FC Cincinnati, and Real Salt Lake - already utilizing crowns in their logos, leaning into royal references in their names, and/or playing in a market that claims "The Queen City" as a nickname, I think it might be better for Major League Soccer's club in the Carolinas to adopt a brand identity all its own... something unique in MLS. I also can't help but think of the American Hockey League's old Greensboro-based Carolina Monarchs.

That said, the only names registered for trademark protection by DT Soccer, LLC that I'd consider would be Charlotte Town FC or Charlotte Athletic FC.

In my opinion, the remaining four names run the gamut from insipid (Charlotte FC, All Carolina FC) to inept (Charlotte Fortune FC) to idiotic (Carolina Gliders FC).

My favorite of these eight is Charlotte Town FC, which is unique within the MLS and makes sense for the city: it was called Charlottetowne when it was founded. However, Crown, Monarchs, and Athletic all are nice as well. Fortune and anything using Carolina is dumb and I really hope we don't end up using them. At least it's not Queen City FC, I suppose.

the user formerly known as cdclt

I get how All Carolina is supposed to represent both Carolinas, but Im not a fan of it at all. If Im not mistaken thats how they wanted the Carolina Panthers to be representing the Carolinas for the NFL. Since @QueenCitySwarm is our resident Carolinian, you'd probably know this best but do they really market the Panthers in South Carolina or is it more of a Charlotte marketed team? I mean other than the inaugural season at Clemson and training camp in Spartanburg does SC really care for the Panthers? Kinda the same question with NC Triangle area.

Signature intentionally left blank

a few thoughts on the new team names:

prob going to be "Charlotte" instead of "Carolina".  i still think Raleigh/Durham will get pro soccer sooner than later.  Carolina works for NFL since it's a larger fanbase footprint, and Charlotte sits on the NC/SC border.  We do get tons of fans coming in from SC.

as much as i hate "FC" for football club, Charlotte SC wouldn't be favored by city leaders who already have an identity issue of Charlotte not being better recognized. adding SC may confuse people into thinking we're in South Carolina, not North Carolina. 

i also think "United" may get shot down since Atlanta uses it, and we're trying to outgrow the shadow of big brother to the south. 

the old independence/kings area has been known as Charlottetown, but doubtful we go back to that.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

So two teams include a crown in their logo (I'm discounting Chicago, because that thing's bull :censored:) and that somehow discounts a new team from taking it a step further actually calling itself CROWN? 

I don't buy it. Charlotte is the Queen City. Let those other teams dabble in royalty; Charlotte can own it. I see no problem here. Lean into it, Charlotte. 

I'm all for Crown FC or Monarchs FC. And while you're at it: adopt Hornets colors: teal & purple. 

Archived