FormerLurker

NFL 2020 Changes

I actually wouldn’t mind the Patriots taking their color rush, removing the logo from the sleeves, shifting the stripes to the sleeves, putting TV numbers on the shoulders and building a new set off that. Including a white helmet.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Jets helmets are green

Because they ripped off Saskatchewan! /s

1 hour ago, Brummie said:

I'm really hoping they drop silver from their pallet. The colour rush set is a winner so I'm hoping for a white helmet to complement the look. Just my opinion of course but I think it would be an improvement.

The only downside with this is that the entire AFC East would have white helmets. 

A white helmet with a navy jersey rarely looks good. I can think of two, maybe three college teams that pull it off, and a bunch of college and high school teams that can't. More often than not, a white helmet with navy jersey looks good only when the team colors are navy and white (e.g Penn State, Yale; Arizona uses red but their white helmet doesn't look good unless it has helmet stripes). 

I don’t see any way the helmet changes at all, that helmet has become synonymous with greatness. 

I have a feeling they will go back to red primary jerseys though and will switch up the style of the uniform pretty drastically, but the helmet isn’t getting touched, I’d bet on that.

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

1. We'll see.

2. And you, whoever you are, take this stuff way too seriously. Don't paint with such a broad brush, chief. 

73f654b55c52f8d108d772f8fc2e7992.jpg

Any hostility you're feeling is one-sided. The only point that I'm making is that whether you like the design or not, it will have nothing to do with that phrase. Really, what would you have them say instead? It's just a people-pleasing expression to try and bridge two demographics together, nothing more. 

18 minutes ago, henburg said:

73f654b55c52f8d108d772f8fc2e7992.jpg

Any hostility you're feeling is one-sided. The only point that I'm making is that whether you like the design or not, it will have nothing to do with that phrase. Really, what would you have them say instead? It's just a people-pleasing expression to try and bridge two demographics together, nothing more. 

I feel you missed an awesome Thor Ragnarok reference to the "whoever you are" line.

spacer.png

I don't think this means anything but Uni Watch said one of the patriots planes was spotted without any logos on it. Possibility of new logos?

35 minutes ago, dannykraft said:

I don't think this means anything but Uni Watch said one of the patriots planes was spotted without any logos on it. Possibility of new logos?

Moving on from Flying Elvis wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, depending on what they do.  I don't think it's beloved.

I do hope they keep Grey in the color scheme.  Just adds to so much depth to Red/Navy/White.  It also helps keep them different from the Giants' Red/Royal/White.

21 minutes ago, Volt said:

It also helps keep them different from the Giants' Red/Royal/White.

And the Bills' royal/white/red/navy

I wouldnt mind seeing the Pats go back to Royal. I loved the Bledsoe era flying elvis uniforms as a kid. Maybe they can mix era's and go with color rush template/90's colors. Something like this-

m1Dx08M.png

I honestly think there's zero shot the Patriots get a new logo or even switch to red primaries. 

SIX Super bowls in these uniforms and logo. SIX.

You guys can yell and scream about who cares about that, blah blah blah. 

This is a brand. A very valuable brand. Think about it from a business standpoint. Do you think a Fortune 500 company just gets up and overhauls their logo in the prime of their success? Sure some slight adjustments and tweaks, but not huge changes. 

Pats are likely to go with color rush jerseys and white pants to mimic that style of Jersey and flip that for the road. Wouldn’t be surprised if they also keep a Silver pair of pants for either home or road 

26 minutes ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

Do you think a Fortune 500 company just gets up and overhauls their logo in the prime of their success? Sure some slight adjustments and tweaks, but not huge changes. 

It’s rare, but it does happen. One that immediately comes to mind is Instagram. That said, I don't think the Patriots’ logo is going anywhere in the immediate future given the team’s success while using it.

3 hours ago, henburg said:

I think 'red's opinion- one I happen to agree with- is that marketing jargon ("Nike Speak" if you will) is dumb.

The Patriots news is what I'm most skeptical of.  Given the lead time needed to get major changes made (2 years, right?), that would mean that they started this process back in 2018 (right around the time they lost the Super Bowl to the eventual Super Bowl LII Champion Philadelphia Eagles).  I totally see them moving on from this look once the 'next era' of Patriots football starts (basically the post-Brady era), but to start the process while still in the middle of their second dynasty seems a little odd... unless Brady's contract situation factored into it and they figured 2020 would be year one After Tom.  I can't imagine that's the case though.

All of the other mentions have been either confirmed by the teams themselves, are too minor for anyone to care about (like the alleged Colts change), or make sense even if not announced (Chargers).  The Patriots doesn't fit any of those cateories.

Along those lines... are we officially putting the Chiefs rumors to bed?  Two posters claim that the Chiefs were making changes (I think one even claimed they were of the total-overhaul variety), but they're now gone, and nothing credible has come up about it.

1 hour ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

I honestly think there's zero shot the Patriots get a new logo or even switch to red primaries. 

SIX Super bowls in these uniforms and logo. SIX.

You guys can yell and scream about who cares about that, blah blah blah. 

This is a brand. A very valuable brand. Think about it from a business standpoint. Do you think a Fortune 500 company just gets up and overhauls their logo in the prime of their success? Sure some slight adjustments and tweaks, but not huge changes. 

Normally I would agree but Patriots fans have shown they love the red. Also I think it’s worth noting they probably thought Brady would be retired by now.

48 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The Patriots news is what I'm most skeptical of.  Given the lead time needed to get major changes made (2 years, right?), that would mean that they started this process back in 2018 (right around the time they lost the Super Bowl to the eventual Super Bowl LII Champion Philadelphia Eagles).  I totally see them moving on from this look once the 'next era' of Patriots football starts (basically the post-Brady era), but to start the process while still in the middle of their second dynasty seems a little odd... unless Brady's contract situation factored into it and they figured 2020 would be year one After Tom.  I can't imagine that's the case though.

All of the other mentions have been either confirmed by the teams themselves, are too minor for anyone to care about (like the alleged Colts change), or make sense even if not announced (Chargers).  The Patriots doesn't fit any of those cateories.

Along those lines... are we officially putting the Chiefs rumors to bed?  Two posters claim that the Chiefs were making changes (I think one even claimed they were of the total-overhaul variety), but they're now gone, and nothing credible has come up about it.

Broncos did it with Elway. 

For the Chiefs one of those posters was me, and I will clarify what I heard. From a friend who doesn’t bs and doesn’t even follow football he told me he’d worked on a phot set for a promo for Nike with Chiefs players and a new uniform. Maybe it’s a new alternate. Maybe it’s a change coming next year. Maybe it’s a completely unrelated ad campaign that for whatever reason they didn’t use Chiefs uniforms. I don’t know, I only passed on what I was told.

1 hour ago, Jojopeligreeno said:

Pats are likely to go with color rush jerseys and white pants to mimic that style of Jersey and flip that for the road. Wouldn’t be surprised if they also keep a Silver pair of pants for either home or road 

The Pats are just about as likely to simply take their color rush jersey, as is, and suddenly call it their primary jersey, as the Browns, Rams, and Falcons are to simply "going back" to an older uniform. In other words, not likely, at all.

That's not how these things work anymore. Uniform changes are not about having the best possible uniform, they're about headlines and jersey sales. In 2020, a new uniform means a new uniform. Otherwise, they wouldn't bother.

3 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

The Chiefs' uniforms are just about perfect as they are. Why mess with that?

The same reason you mess with anything; because it can always be better.

For the 3 other rumored teams that @canzman shared, the Chargers, Colts & Patriots, here what I hope they do.

CHARGERS: Make the road jersey powder blue dominant instead of navy dominant.

COLTS: They don't need anything, but if they do, I hope it's something small like blue pants or a new alt.

PATRIOTS: Make a new red alt that fits with the color scheme. A color swap of the color rush with Silver pants would probably be the best option.

6 minutes ago, Bruhammydude said:

Make a new red alt that fits with the color scheme.

iVJarcc.jpg