A case for copyright infringement?

ScotM

While researching a project, I came across a similar design I created in 2012. I have no doubts that my logo inspired this Vectorstock logo: https://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-free-vector/wf-logo-monogram-hexagon-with-black-background-vector-27349856

My design used on copyrighted promotional material in 2012: spacer.png

Vectorstock logo:

spacer.png

Seems very similar indeed, but I don't know the process well enough to know where you'd go from here. Cease-and-desist to Vectorstock? To the artist him/herself?

EDIT: Found Vectorstock's Take Down Policy

US Digital Millennium Copyright Act - What to do if you believe Content is infringing your copyright

1. If you believe that Content on our Website infringes a person's copyright, you may request that we remove, or disable access to, such Content by sending to our agent (identified in clause 3) a notification of claimed infringement that includes substantially the following:
    • A physical or electronic signature of the copyright owner or a person that the copyright owner has authorized to act on their behalf;
    • Identification of the copyrighted work (or works) that you claim has been infringed (including a webpage link may be helpful);
    • Identification of the Content on our Website that you claim is infringing copyright and that you are requesting be removed or access to which be disabled (such as by including the link to the Content on our Website);
    • Your address, telephone number and email address so that you can be contacted about the claim;
    • A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
    • A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
  2. If you are unsure whether Content on our website infringes a person's copyright, you agree to obtain appropriate legal or other advice. You understand that if you misrepresent that Content is infringing, you could potentially be liable under relevant laws for perjury or for damages or other remedies.

6 hours ago, ScotM said:

I’m in Canada, and Vectorstock is in New Zealand, according to their website/Twitter profile.

Doesn’t mean you can’t send a cease and desist. But with them being in a different country it’s based on what ever their copyright and intellectual property laws are. That’s why Chinese companies are able to Make and sell counterfeit products because they don’t believe in intellectual property and you can’t own it.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it's not that unique of a concept to be considered ripped off.  There are certainly similarities that denote potential inspiration - specifically the top right of the F - but I hardly see a case here.  At the end of the day, it's two letters in a hexagonal, or honeycomb, or "cube" pattern.  Yours is nice - but it's been done.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived