Gothamite

Seeing a lot of Nets items with the roundel logo being listed as "primary logo"

nike-brooklyn-nets-men-s-nike-1-2-zip-pr

MEN'S 1/2 ZIP PRIMARY LOGO

yoke_wms_scoop_neck_large.JPG?v=15658932

WOMEN'S DISTRESSED PRIMARY LOGO LONG SLEEVE TEE

80750136_9FIFTY_M950THREADSA3_BRONET_OTC

THREADS PRIMARY LOGO 9FIFTY SNAPBACK CAP

Don't see anything about it on the site, and their "logo history" section still has the old one.  Has anybody heard about them switching designations?  Can anybody check the style guide?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't imagine the rules of NBA's logo system would allow for a primary that doesn't have the team's nickname in it. Nor should they, writing out the team's name is the primary point of a primary logo in the NBA.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 12/14/2019 at 1:17 AM, the admiral said:

Can't imagine the rules of NBA's logo system would allow for a primary that doesn't have the team's nickname in it. Nor should they, writing out the team's name is the primary point of a primary logo in the NBA.

Yes, but in fairness it is a pretty stupid name. 😁

They’ve done a great job is creating this street-ball, corner-playground aesthetic, but they’re named after the one piece of equipment that’s superfluous and absent from many urban courts.  Really shoulda changed it when they moved back across the  Hudson. 

On 12/14/2019 at 1:19 AM, EddieJ1984 said:

I think recently there is now the "Global logo" and the "Primary logo".

So Global logo is the one with city & nickname, but primary is the logo the team usually uses.

Ah, that sounds familiar.  I think you’re right.  

Do we have any documentation on that?  I’d love to see if we can glean what the league is thinking.  

23 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Ah, that sounds familiar.  I think you’re right.  

Do we have any documentation on that?  I’d love to see if we can glean what the league is thinking.  

Not exactly what you’re asking for(I think), but here are snippets from the mothership when the Rockets came out. 

NBA’s logo classification system is in its own world, but I’ll try to explain it. Every NBA team has the option of setting two primary logos — one intended for use domestically (“primary icon”) and one for use internationally (“global logo”). The global logo must include the full name of the team.

Each of these teams can then choose any of the logos in their existing set to be used as their “preferred primary mark”, and this could be any of their team logos — whether it’s an alternate, secondary, primary, or global.

news.sportslogos.net/2019/06/06/houston-rockets-unveil-new-logo-new-uniforms-still-to-come/

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:40 AM, Gothamite said:

Yes, but in fairness it is a pretty stupid name. 😁

They’ve done a great job is creating this street-ball, corner-playground aesthetic, but they’re named after the one piece of equipment that’s superfluous and absent from many urban courts.  Really shoulda changed it when they moved back across the  Hudson. 

Brooklyn Rims?

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

if you must know, should have been Brooklyn Knights.  Huge missed opportunity.

I know “Knights” is a cliche nickname for sports teams depicted on film and TV, but it’s not necessarily a bad one. And I think it lends itself nicely to basketball.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

if you must know, should have been Brooklyn Knights.  Huge missed opportunity.

They had a mascot for that, didn't they? I don't know if it was official or not but it was a thing.

Image result for brooklyn nets mascot

9 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

Hard disagree on the Knights. It's not a bad name, but Nets is a fine name. And it has a lot of history in the area. The Nets (New York/New Jersey/Brooklyn) have existed for 50 years. No need to change it.

Exactly right. The new arena in Brooklyn should be covered with images of Bill Melchionni, John Williamson, Buck Williams, Albert King, Micheal Ray Richardson, Darryl Dawkins, Kevin Loughery, Louie Carnesecca, Drazen Petrovic, Kenyon Martin, Richard Jefferson, Vince Carter, and of course Jason Kidd (notwithstanding his two bad exits from the team). And there should be a statue of Julius Erving in front of the arena, bigger than the one that is in Philadelphia. Also, the address of the arena should be 32 Erving Plaza.

When Citi Field opened up, it was criticised for having more Dodger-related imagery than Met-related imagery. But they have corrected that; and now the entire stadium is ringed by banners showing important players from Met history. This is the example that the Nets should follow.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

They had a mascot for that, didn't they? I don't know if it was official or not but it was a thing.

Image result for brooklyn nets mascot

Should have leaned into that.  “Nets” is a fairly dumb name, the only piece of equipment that’s not utterly essential to the sport.  Besides, it’s counter to their entire branding goal, and really should have been left behind in Jersey.

It really should’ve been a return of the New York Nets and have them keep red and blue and focus on the historical aspect of the team. I would’ve much preferred a full time throwback set to the Irving days rather than a black and white snooze fest. (In all fairness their brand isn’t horrible, much better than some of the other teams out there. Just could’ve been even better)

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Archived