Nets Elevate Secondary Logo to Primary?

Gothamite

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The Yankees are literally known as the Bronx Bombers, yet they're the most popular sports team in the tri-state area, so this logic really makes no sense.

This comparison is faulty. "Bronx Bombers" is just a nickname (in the ordinary, non-sports sense of that word, which means a secondary or unofficial name, as opposed to the sporting sense, in which the nickname is the part of the official name that is not the locality name). "Bromx Bombers" is analogous to the nickname "Big Red Machine" or, more directly, to the nickname "Broad Street Bullies". We can tell from the New York Yankees' actual name that they represent New York City, not just the Bronx.

The Nets could conceivably have reclaimed their former name of New York Nets as their official name, while at the same time inaugurating a secondary unofficial nickname, such as the "Brooklyn Ballers". Then that would be a situation comparable to that of the New York Yankees / Bronx Bombers.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally disagree that the Nets are limited to their catchment area. This is the NBA, it's the most popular sports league in the world. No major sports team is limited to fans within it's geographical identifier. NBA teams are marketing to the entire world. The entire world is tuning in and watching games. The entire world is buying jerseys.

You're right that the Nets can never really take over from the Knicks long term in the New York area. Even as the Knicks are bad and unpopular, there's a huge latent fanbase there who will reignite if the team is ever good again. But they aren't trying to be New York's second team, they're trying to do their own thing. If they win a championship or two with KD and Kyrie, watch how popular they suddenly become and they have a chance to really entrench themselves. They won't compete with the Knicks in terms of New York fanbase, but they might compete with them globally if the Knicks continue to be irrelevant.

17 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Nets could conceivably have reclaimed their former name of New York Nets as their official name, while at the same time inaugurating a secondary unofficial nickname, such as the "Brooklyn Ballers".

Yes, they could have, but it would have come across as laughably silly and a desperate, hollow attempt to take advantage of the Brooklyn name without having the confidence to commit to using it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

A couple weeks ago I was in Paris shortly after this topic was posted. What did I see? Two Frenchmen wearing the Brooklyn New York roundel logo on hats the next day.

Obviously, this is a rather unscientific observation,  but it did make me laugh a bit. I also apologize for withholding this vital information for so long!

Archived