North American Pro Soccer 2020

Gothamite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, willmorris said:

So, uh, remind me. Which of the five boroughs is Harrison in?

(NYCFC is playing a Champions League match at Red Bull Arena.)

So at least they'll have proper sight-lines. I wonder how games will look on TV with the netting being extended at all MLB parks this year.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I've been following NYCFC since their inception, and this constant feeling of this team being unsettled, on and off the field, is tiring and not worth it anymore. Shady, absentee owners; playing in a baseball stadium (or Connecticut or New Jersey when the baseball team wants to play there) with no official peep of progress on their own stadium; inaction and arrogance when their own fans plead with them to oust violent racists from the stadium. Obviously, playing one game at RB stadium isn't as bad as turning a blind eye to fascist supporters, but it's just the cherry on the :censored: sundae.

I'll be living in Charlotte by the time that team launches and NYCFC is the only fanhood I'm leaving behind in New York.

13 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Nashville, NYC, and Miami. A three ringed cirucs of stadium troubles for the MLS.

In five years, the three of these clubs will probably still be playing at their current stadiums, at the very best.

https://www.nycfc.com/post/2020/02/07/red-bull-arena-host-round-16-match-scotiabank-concacaf-champions-league

Really love the "thar be dragons" energy of this quote.

Given the inconvenience of playing outside of the five boroughs...

On the other hand, even the New York Times is reporting on the Bronx elevator factory site that's been the hot rumor forever (probably pushed by "sources" to counter that RBA news), so that seems pretty promising.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/sports/soccer/nycfc-stadium-bronx-mls.html

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, Digby said:

On the other hand, even the New York Times is reporting on the Bronx elevator factory site that's been the hot rumor forever (probably pushed by "sources" to counter that RBA news), so that seems pretty promising.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/sports/soccer/nycfc-stadium-bronx-mls.html

When it comes to the development of soccer-specific stadia for Major League Soccer franchises, most especially those in the municipalities of New York and Boston, I'm a "shovels in the ground" guy. Until then, I consider it all talk.  

23 hours ago, oz615 said:

i think the Nashville SC Stadium Dark Comedy is more entertaining! ;)

Here is what seems to be the dark comedy's latest scene:

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2020/02/councilman-questions-if-mayor-can-legally-stall-nashville-sc-stadium-deal/

To me, that particular Metro Council member's argument against any effort by Nashville's mayor to stall the stadium deal is made all the more powerful by the fact that the council member represents the part of Nashville that contains the city's fairgrounds and, by extension, both the site proposed for Nashville SC's permanent stadium and the existing local auto race track that Speedway Motorsports appears to want to renovate and manage.

4 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

When it comes to the development of soccer-specific stadia for Major League Soccer franchises, most especially those in the municipalities of New York and Boston, I'm a "shovels in the ground" guy. Until then, I consider it all talk.  

That’s wise. 

But FWIW, my contacts at the club are indicating this one is real. 

16 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

It would be great to see NYCFC have their own venue.  

We will. 

Everybody who actually thought about it realized that the wait would be measured in years.  Frankly, if they go from expansion announcement to breaking ground in less than a decade, that’s a major accomplishment. 

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

We will. 

Everybody who actually thought about it realized that the wait would be measured in years.  Frankly, if they go from expansion announcement to breaking ground in less than a decade, that’s a major accomplishment. 

It should host soccer and maybe Rugby.  

Archived