North American Pro Soccer 2020

Gothamite

33 minutes ago, BryanSmalls said:

This is the same league that "awarded an expansion club"  to Jay Precourt and his cronies to play in Austin, TX after they were unsuccessful in uprooting the Crew from Columbus, OH.

Austin, TX was nowhere on MLS's expansion radar before this kerfuffle.

If any team fails, I hope it's that one. 

I enjoy disliking the Impact and Crew as a TFC fan....all part of the fun. I don't actually hate them (in fact, I root for all Canadian teams to do well...the whole "give Canadians a place to play" thing. I digress)

I actually hate Precourt and what he tried to do and would love to see him gone from the league all together. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Precourt made an attempt to be cool by giving Matthew McConaughey part ownership of Austin FC.  

I wonder is McConaughey ever gets sick of this. It seems like requirement that any big event in Austin requires he attend. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fc-cincinnati/story/4052958/fc-cincinnati-boss-ron-jans-stepping-away-during-racial-slur-investigation

So FC Cincinnati Coach Ron Jans is on leave pending investigation from the team and MLS for saying a racial slur. (N word). From what Ive heard is that in the locker room he was singing along to some lyrics. A player came up to him and told him that in the US thats not a word we should use.  From the sounds of it, its more of a culture/language barrier incident as it wasnt directed toward a player. He apparently feels bad about the situation calling it a nightmare. Im not sure how I feel about this. Yes he shouldnt have said it but again its the language/culture barrier as he's only been here less than a year and he didnt direct it at a player. I would hate to lose another coach, and it would be like last year all over again.

Signature intentionally left blank

As an erector set stadium, what they've done is pretty impressive.

Given that Miami built that in about 20 minutes and it looks mostly serviceable, it kind of begs the question of what level of stadium investment is really needed for successful game operations. I think Allianz in Minnesota is incredible...but is it worth the extra $$$$ millions over Miami's temporary (yeah right) stadium?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

40 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

As an erector set stadium, what they've done is pretty impressive.

Given that Miami built that in about 20 minutes and it looks mostly serviceable, it kind of begs the question of what level of stadium investment is really needed for successful game operations. I think Allianz in Minnesota is incredible...but is it worth the extra $$$$ millions over Miami's temporary (yeah right) stadium?

I did an away hounds games at Loudoun United, which is a modular stadium and honestly? It was pretty nice for the general public. Bit lacking for media and concessions but that's about it.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 2/15/2020 at 1:21 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I wonder is McConaughey ever gets sick of this. It seems like requirement that any big event in Austin requires he attend. 

He’s a B-level actor who gets to be a huge A-list superstar in his own hometown.  I have no doubt that he’s loving every minute of it, as well he should. 

53 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

He’s a B-level actor who gets to be a huge A-list superstar in his own hometown.  I have no doubt that he’s loving every minute of it, as well he should. 

Oh, come on. McConaughey may not be the best actor of all time, but let's not pretend he's not a really big deal. If you win an Oscar for lead actor and you lead big-budget Christopher Nolan films, you graduate from "B-level." Let's not pretend he's Lou Diamond Phillips.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I didn’t say he wasn’t good, only that I’m not sure how bankable he is right now.  Which, as we all know, has nothing to do with “good”.

In the six years since his Oscar, McConaughey has headlined a Christopher Nolan film (arguably sold more on Nolan than anyone else), and had a couple of pretty significant flops.  In a town where you’re judged on your most recent work, he’s more Dark Tower right now than Dallas Buyers Club.  Nicholas Cage won an Oscar, too, was in some of the biggest films around, and I wouldn’t call him an A-lister anymore.  It’s fleeting.

I certainly don’t begrudge him being the Face of Austin.  I think it’s fantastic, and I would do it in a heartbeat if any of my prior home towns had any reason reason at all to give two thoughts about me. 😉  Madison?  Eugene?  Anyone?  Anyone?

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

In the six years since his Oscar, McConaughey has headlined a Christopher Nolan film (arguably sold more on Nolan than anyone else), and had a couple of pretty significant flops.  In a town where you’re judged on your most recent work, he’s more Dark Tower right now than Dallas Buyers Club.  Nicholas Cage won an Oscar, too, was in some of the biggest films around, and I wouldn’t call him an A-lister anymore.  It’s fleeting.

It’s the A-lister leading man -> character actor transition. It’s tough for many an actor, but it is possible to do it gracefully. Avoid it and you wind up like Nic Cage, saying yes to everything you’re offered no matter how embarrassing. 

35 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It’s the A-lister leading man -> character actor transition. It’s tough for many an actor, but it is possible to do it gracefully. Avoid it and you wind up like Nic Cage, saying yes to everything you’re offered no matter how embarrassing. 

Isn't Cage struggling to pay alimony or something like that?

On 2/15/2020 at 7:18 PM, Dilbert said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fc-cincinnati/story/4052958/fc-cincinnati-boss-ron-jans-stepping-away-during-racial-slur-investigation

So FC Cincinnati Coach Ron Jans is on leave pending investigation from the team and MLS for saying a racial slur. (N word). From what Ive heard is that in the locker room he was singing along to some lyrics. A player came up to him and told him that in the US thats not a word we should use.  From the sounds of it, its more of a culture/language barrier incident as it wasnt directed toward a player. He apparently feels bad about the situation calling it a nightmare. Im not sure how I feel about this. Yes he shouldnt have said it but again its the language/culture barrier as he's only been here less than a year and he didnt direct it at a player. I would hate to lose another coach, and it would be like last year all over again.

and he just resigned 

https://www.fccincinnati.com/post/2020/02/18/head-coach-ron-jans-resigns

EDIT: If this was the only incident and merely the result of a cultural misunderstanding, then I think this is something of an overreaction, but the story is out and you don't want people associating your coach, true or not, with racist feelings. From what I've heard from some fans online they've already bungled the LGBTQ outreach so they were on thin ice as it is. 

What an absolute dumpster fire this transition to MLS has been. This will be their fourth head coach and they haven't even started their second year.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm not surprised at all that Jans is no longer with the club. Soccer has a problem all around the world with racism, and like you said, McCa...SPORT, it's not a good look for your coach to be associated with that.

The comments on the story literally anywhere it's been posted are kinda sad. I'm not really upset with the decision at all and, as a white person, I don't think it's really my call to make on who should or shouldn't be upset regarding at the usage of the word. It's a disappointing and unfortunate situation all around.

21 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Still having McConaughey as part owner of Austin FC is Precourt's way of being more cool and less of a tool.  It doesn't seem to be working.

Feels like part of the deal with running a new team now is having a celebrity you can point to as being an "owner". See also Beckham and Miami, Will Ferrell and LAFC. Maybe a descendant of Jay-Z owning (one-half of one percent of) the Nets when they moved to Brooklyn, or the MLS equivalent of Elton John owning Watford (one of my favorite facts). I think it's more useful marketing angle than meaningful investment, but hey.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

50 minutes ago, Digby said:

Feels like part of the deal with running a new team now is having a celebrity you can point to as being an "owner". See also Beckham and Miami, Will Ferrell and LAFC. Maybe a descendant of Jay-Z owning (one-half of one percent of) the Nets when they moved to Brooklyn, or the MLS equivalent of Elton John owning Watford (one of my favorite facts). I think it's more useful marketing angle than meaningful investment, but hey.

Elton John beat all of these posers to the punch on being a celebrity owning an American soccer team when he part-owned the Los Angeles Aztecs of the NASL back in the 70s.

4 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Elton John beat all of these posers to the punch on being a celebrity owning an American soccer team when he part-owned the Los Angeles Aztecs of the NASL back in the 70s.

Okay, I didn't know he also had a hand in the NASL.

Los Angeles Aztecs and Watford: the original City Football Group.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived