Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2020

Louisville City may have one of the nicest stadiums in USL Championship:

22 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Miguel Ibarra to Seattle. Seems like a good pickup!

Always liked him when he was with the Loons

12 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

And now I hate Austin FC.

Never forget Anthony Precourt is the real reason everyone should hate this Austin club, not because an actor has a minority stake. (I was just thinking McConaughey makes them .25% more likable, so they're .25 out of 100 on the likability scale.)

2 hours ago, Sport said:

Never forget Anthony Precourt is the real reason everyone should hate this Austin club, not because an actor has a minority stake. (I was just thinking McConaughey makes them .25% more likable, so they're .25 out of 100 on the likability scale.)

McConaughey joining Austin FC was Precourt's attempt to be less of a d-bag, but it made him an even bigger one.  

Take their origin story out of it and I remain very intrigued by Austin. By some measures it makes tons of sense -- a young, affluent and growing city, soccer always seems to do well there, no other pro sports with which to compete. On other measures it doesn't at all -- MLS continually fails in Texas, and maybe there's a good reason no other pro teams in Austin. (I'm similarly torn by the logo and branding package; like the apple green color, hate the stupid tree crest.)

CPL is dropping the spring/summer season thing and going to single table, as of this coming season. Each times plays each other four times. Ideally, the league will get big enough that Halifax and Pacific won't have to do that eventually, because let me tell you as someone who once relocated from Victoria to Halifax and went back and forth multiple times a year, changing five time zones (four hour difference) is awful.  

https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-announces-balanced-schedule-new-league-and-playoff-format-for-2020

Also, playoff!

D.C. United signs new broadcasting deal with WJLA 24/7 News, a cable channel owned by the local ABC affiliate station. It was the club's previous broadcasting partern before going to Flo FC last season.

https://www.dcunited.com/post/2020/02/21/dc-united-and-wjla-247-news-reach-deal-televise-matches-2020?fbclid=IwAR30QsHfENRzWuAODtj1Lo50F2m5W7DNd9hdwx4TSU_RXgwxWZPsr3POhA4

I'll be able to watch all of DCU's games again. People without cable aren't thrilled though

10 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

D.C. United signs new broadcasting deal with WJLA 24/7 News, a cable channel owned by the local ABC affiliate station. It was the club's previous broadcasting partern before going to Flo FC last season.

https://www.dcunited.com/post/2020/02/21/dc-united-and-wjla-247-news-reach-deal-televise-matches-2020?fbclid=IwAR30QsHfENRzWuAODtj1Lo50F2m5W7DNd9hdwx4TSU_RXgwxWZPsr3POhA4

I'll be able to watch all of DCU's games again. People without cable aren't thrilled though

They will get over it.  Sport on broadcast TV is not a birthright. 

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

They will get over it.  Sport on broadcast TV is not a birthright. 

At least they are off Flo. FCC is still stuck with the FLOp for this year.

23 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

It's hard to believe that this will be MLS' 25th season.

That's on you.

MLS has come a long way from all of their teams playing in cavernous NFL stadiums and teams folding.  25 years is quite impressive for MLS.  

6 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

MLS has come a long way from all of their teams playing in cavernous NFL stadiums and teams folding.  25 years is quite impressive for MLS.  

Yes, the original San Jose Clash played in that "cavernous" Spartan Stadium.

Those light structures look like eyelashes.

8 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Yes, the original San Jose Clash played in that "cavernous" Spartan Stadium.

That's one thing that's gone from most leagues. Now that teams have stadiums built with soccer in mind, all the pitches are about the same size. I remember Highbury got so much stick at times because it wasn't as wide as most parks. 

1 hour ago, Buc said:

Those light structures look like eyelashes.

it's good that Lou City is getting their own stadium instead of awkwardly playing in a minor league baseball stadium.  Hopefully more USL Championship teams (if not all of them) follow the same path.  Now, it probably won't happen for Memphis, Reno and El Paso since all three of those USL teams are also owned by the respective minor league baseball teams.  I read earlier this year that New Mexico United has plans for their own stadium though.