Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2020

Recommended Posts

On 2/21/2020 at 3:21 PM, Corvus said:

Also, playoff!

 

I think this format actually is a really good idea. Top of table gets to the final game which satisfies the single table fans. 2 v 3 to get the the final for the playoff fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully Atletico Ottawa is a rousing success right off the gate.  They need to make more announcements really fast: players, coaches, front office, broadcasting etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Hopefully Atletico Ottawa is a rousing success right off the gate.  They need to make more announcements really fast: players, coaches, front office, broadcasting etc.  

I mean, they have a coach but I get get what you mean. Broadcasting will be One Soccer like the rest of the league so they are ok on that front. 

 

I heard that they were going to do 1 announcement on all the players as opposed to announcing them one at a time. That's the reason that they haven't been listed on the roster tracker on the CPL website. I'm very interested to see how they build that roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Columbus Crew SC has announced that OhioHealth will not only continue as the team's exclusive healthcare provider, but also serve as the title sponsor of the OhioHealth Performance Center. The 42,000 square foot facility, which will break ground in June of this year, is to be developed on the west side of Mapfre Stadium. In addition to serving as the soccer club's headquarters, the OhioHealth Performance Center will provide training facilities for all Crew soccer operations, including both the MLS first team and Crew SC Academy sides. A new community sports park is also part of the development.

Columbus Crew announces founding partnership with OhioHealth and naming rights for future training facility   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The USL Championship's New Mexico United has received $4.1 million in state funding that will be applied towards the team's pursuit of a soccer-specific stadium. With the club's leadership pegging costs of said facility at somewhere between $60 and $80 million more than the state's initial investment, the $4.1 million is expected to be put towards such tasks as site analysis, economic impact studies, preliminary design work, and some land acquisition.

New Mexico Lawmakers Allocate $4.1 to Sport & Cultural Center

New Mexico United secures $4.1 million for development of Sport & Cultural Center

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

The USL Championship's New Mexico United has received $4.1 million in state funding that will be applied towards the team's pursuit of a soccer-specific stadium. With the club's leadership pegging costs of said facility at somewhere between $60 and $80 million more than the state's initial investment, the $4.1 million is expected to be put towards such tasks as site analysis, economic impact studies, preliminary design work, and some land acquisition.

New Mexico Lawmakers Allocate $4.1 to Sport & Cultural Center

New Mexico United secures $4.1 million for development of Sport & Cultural Center

 

 

The news report says 15,000 seats, which would be high for a Soccer Specific Stadium in USL Championship as only Philly Union II and SKC II play in MLS stadiums.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

The news report says 15,000 seats, which would be high for a Soccer Specific Stadium in USL Championship as only Philly Union II and SKC II play in MLS stadiums.  


New Mexico United's average home attendance was 12,693 fans per match last season. They actually drew 15,247 fans to their home game versus LA Galaxy II. Those figures were achieved in a baseball park. Team management obviously feels that the club will, more often than not, be able to hit the 15,000 mark in a purpose-built, soccer-specific facility. We shall see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:


New Mexico United's average home attendance was 12,693 fans per match last season. They actually drew 15,247 fans to their home game versus LA Galaxy II. Those figures were achieved in a baseball park. Team management obviously feels that the club will, more often than not, be able to hit the 15,000 mark in a purpose-built, soccer-specific facility. We shall see. 

 

Since it's unlikely NM United ever moves up to MLS and they are not affiliated with any MLS teams in any way, I think 15,000 is a little too big.  I think they need to do 10,000-12,000 with the ability to expand to 15,000 if they have to.  Lynn Family Stadium in Louisville will seat 11,700 with the ability to expand to 14,000 if necessary.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t possibly see how they expect that many fans on a regular basis. That’s an ambitious plan. It also seems a bit foolish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FiddySicks said:

I can’t possibly see how they expect that many fans on a regular basis. That’s an ambitious plan. It also seems a bit foolish. 

I said the same thing when FC Cincinnati was first announced for the USL. Ownership was hoping for around 10,000 a game. That was a lofty goal for a city whose previous soccer clubs were lucky to get a hundred people to show up. Then FCC started having 20,000 plus a game. New Mexico clearly wont get into MLS but for a team who draws 12-000-15,000 a game this seems like a right fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, but Cincinnati’s metro population is more than double that of ABQ. 

 

:censored:, Sacramento’s metro population is even higher than Cincinnati and I can tell you first hand that drawing 12,000-15,000 fans consistently is a LOFTY goal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Cincinnati has a bigger population but I think the demographic for New Mexico is there. The Hispanic population for Albuquerque is nearly 42%.The only soccer Cincinnati supported before FCC came was kids leagues in the suburbs. Other than Louisville, Indy and Pittsburgh, FCC didnt draw many away fans, because everyone else was located along the coast. New Mexico has El Paso, Colorado Springs, Real Monarchs, Phoenix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An absolutely BRILLIANT effort at the Banc, tonight! LAFC downs Leon 3-0 (3-2 on aggregate) to punch their ticket to the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals! Carlos Vela with the brace and Diego Rossi with the clincher... WE'RE MOVING ON!!!

The Metro ride back to Santa Monica is going to be ELECTRIC!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

LETS EFFING GO!!! 

 

When Seattle can't win, I'm glad LAFC does. Even though they're a rival, the organization has done so much right for so long. If an MLS team is going to win Concacaf, I hope it's Atlanta or LAFC. Seattle still has the Leagues Cup ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, is Seattle in this year's Leagues Cup? Like how the early UCL dropouts end up in Europa League?

 

I have no idea how any of these work (because I'm ostensibly a Revs fan).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Digby said:

Wait, is Seattle in this year's Leagues Cup? Like how the early UCL dropouts end up in Europa League?

 

I have no idea how any of these work (because I'm ostensibly a Revs fan).

MLS and Liga MX cherry picked teams last year so I never trust the lineups to truly be 1-4 on each side. 

On 2/26/2020 at 12:25 PM, GDAWG said:

 

The news report says 15,000 seats, which would be high for a Soccer Specific Stadium in USL Championship as only Philly Union II and SKC II play in MLS stadiums.  

With 15,000 seats you're giving yourself room for expansion without having to possibly reconfigure at a later date. It's part of how Toyota Stadium was built in San Antonio. The posts are already i place for expansion so they can cut down on build time if they ever needed to do it. They'd end up taking over part of the adjoining road though so that would need to be closed off or built over. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Digby said:

Wait, is Seattle in this year's Leagues Cup? Like how the early UCL dropouts end up in Europa League?

 

I have no idea how any of these work (because I'm ostensibly a Revs fan).

 

I actually meant Campeones Cup. But you could see how I could be confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

I actually meant Campeones Cup. But you could see how I could be confused.

I feel like MLS treats all these random competitions like an episode of , "Whose line is it Anyways"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.