North American Pro Soccer 2020

Gothamite

4 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Especially when 18 months ago FC Cincinnati's fee was $150M

Seems like it was a "last one in before the door shuts" tax:

"These are limited opportunities," Garber said in explaining the jump in cost. "As MLS moves forward of going through a process of fully expanding our league, there was only one team left. Obviously, the value was going to be a part of the calculation."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/4015203/charlotte-gets-mls-30th-franchise-for-record-$325-million

6 minutes ago, Waffles said:

I feel like they actually bid this last spot and Charlotte was the only one at the end rather than saying, "Here's our fee, can you reach it?"

11 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

NYCFC will play 4 regular season matches at Citi Field in 2020 because you know this looked so good the last time

MLS-netting-Citi-Field.jpg

Who cares how it looked on TV?  New Shea has been a great place to watch games, and I’m looking forward to these four. 

Any picks for 31 and 32?  I have Phoenix and Indy.  I hope Las Vegas is not one of them as they would have gotten an NHL, NFL and MLS team in under a decade.  It's taken many cities longer than a decace to get three major league teams, like it has been for Charlotte (15 years between the current Hornets when they were the Bobcats and the MLS team) and it would take Vegas less than 10 years to get three major league teams. 

In contrast to the NFL, MLS is played through the dead of summer. Having been outside in Vegas in July, there's just no way I can imagine sitting through an entire 2-hour soccer match. And given that Qatar would have happened before MLS Vegas, there'd be no competitive advantage to acclimating to that climate.

24 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

In contrast to the NFL, MLS is played through the dead of summer. Having been outside in Vegas in July, there's just no way I can imagine sitting through an entire 2-hour soccer match. And given that Qatar would have happened before MLS Vegas, there'd be no competitive advantage to acclimating to that climate.

Or they could play in the new Raiders Stadium....

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Any picks for 31 and 32?  I have Phoenix and Indy.  I hope Las Vegas is not one of them as they would have gotten an NHL, NFL and MLS team in under a decade.  It's taken many cities longer than a decace to get three major league teams, like it has been for Charlotte (15 years between the current Hornets when they were the Bobcats and the MLS team) and it would take Vegas less than 10 years to get three major league teams. 

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

Garber said this would likely be the last announcement, which we all know is not true. I think it would be Indy with Phoenix or Las Vegas. There are two groups vying for Las Vegas, Phoenix is very strong and Indy has emerged as a strong candidate.

Indy didn't have close to the $150 million to pay the going rate a few years ago, there's almost no chance they cobble together the probably $400+ million that 31 and 32'll have to pay.

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

In contrast to the NFL, MLS is played through the dead of summer. Having been outside in Vegas in July, there's just no way I can imagine sitting through an entire 2-hour soccer match.

The Las Vegas MLS expansion proposal put forward by billionaire Seth Klarman of Blaupost Group and project manager The Renaissance Companies calls for a stadium that features a roof and a roll-in field.

Per ESPN's Jeff Carlisle on May 31, 2019:

"According to Renaissance chairman Floyd Kephart, stadium architect Populous has already come up with a preliminary design, one that will account for the city's brutally hot  summers. With average daytime highs in June, July and August exceeding 100 degrees, the venue will be domed with a retractable field."

Las Vegas' MLS plan includes indoor stadium

Per the Las Vegas Review-Journal of June 5, 2019:

"The preliminary stadium proposal calls for a covered roof with a retractable field and 25,000-person seating capacity."

Las Vegas bid for MLS stadium faces challenge in Golden Knights owner

Well the remaining groups that could possibly be vying for expansion spots include two different groups from Las Vegas, Phoenix, Indy, and Raleigh. Detroit, San Diego, San Antonio and Tampa Bay, and Louisville all seem to be dead.

Las Vegas bid 1: The city is looking at replacing Cashman Field with redevelopment including an MLS stadium

Las Vegas bid 2: Vegas Golden Knights owner is looking at placing a team at Allegiant Stadium (new Raiders home)

Phoenix bid: has solid ownership group with Didier Drogba, Advantage Sports Union CEO Alex Zheng and Fortuitous Partners’ Brett Johnson as well as a pretty solid stadium plan in place. They are more or less just waiting on the word from MLS if they get a spot or not.

Indy bid: The Indy bid has kind of been a sleeping giant in my opinion. They added several new major investors earlier this year, and they have started to receive more public support from lawmakers for Eleven Park, a new development with a 20,000 seat stadium. They also call Lucas Oil Stadium home which could easily host MLS until a new stadium is built.

Raleigh: The owner of North Carolina FC is still pushing for a new stadium in Raleigh capable of hosting MLS but with Charlotte receiving a team, I think Raleighs chances may be slim to dead.

Indy and Las Vegas bid 2 are the only ones with stadiums or temporary homes that could be ready or almost ready in the case of Las Vegas to host. Indy I think would be a good fit with Cincinnati, Columbus, Chicago and even St Louis. Phoenix or Las Vegas fills a need for a southwest team. Phoenix or Las Vegas gets a bid but not both in my opinion. I also look at the current fan support of the teams that play in the USL now. Indy has stellar attendance and the Eleven have had a great following for several years now. Phoenix and Las Vegas have a good draw as well despite playing in a temporary structure and old minor league baseball stadium. North Carolina FC attendance has been falling over the past few seasons. I think Indy could support an MLS club. Like Charlotte, Indys other major league clubs play in the fall/winter so Indy would only compete with minor league baseball. Phoenix would compete with the Diamondbacks, and Las Vegas pro teams are also fall winter only competing with minor league baseball in the summer. I think Indy gets in and I see Phoenix edging out Las Vegas. Im worried that Las Vegas is expanding pro sports way to quickly.

I kind of also think expansion is a little too much to think about before all of the teams with outstanding stadium issues get sorted. New England, NYC FC, Dallas and Denver need new places to play. Their stadium weaknesses are more glaring when you see just how impressive Cincinnati, Minnesota and others are.

EDIT: Seattle is off the stadium poop list, but only barely. The Sounders could certainly benefit from an SSS and it's a shame we don't have one. CenturyLink is fine. Something unique would be better.

2 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I kind of also think expansion is a little too much to think about before all of the teams with outstanding stadium issues get sorted. New England, NYC FC, Dallas and Denver need new places to play. Their stadium weaknesses are more glaring when you see just how impressive Cincinnati, Minnesota and others are.

EDIT: Seattle is off the stadium poop list, but only barely. The Sounders could certainly benefit from an SSS and it's a shame we don't have one. CenturyLink is fine. Something unique would be better.

Psh, NYCFC have two stadiums now. Beat that!

4 minutes ago, Digby said:

Psh, NYCFC have two stadiums now. Beat that!

Dont they have like 5 now?  Yankee for most regular season, Citi for select regular season and postseason, St Johns and Fordham for US Open Cup, and MCU Park in Brooklyn for CONCACAF