North American Pro Soccer 2020

Gothamite

So FC Cincinnati gets "randomly" grouped with rival Columbus as well as with Atlanta and NY Red Bulls, the two teams FCC played this season before the stoppage. Doesnt seem rigged to me at all.🤨

Signature intentionally left blank

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The draws were per conference, not across the whole league, so the odds aren't as staggering as you might think.  

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

However, being that the games are in Orlando, I wonder if a little bit of shine is taken off of the match-ups. Are they as intense if the crowds aren't as amped?

Florida crowds might as well be golf if it isn't college football. Add the masks and the noise gets lowered even more. Still an improvement over no crowds IMO.

There will be no crowds on hand to get amped at the MLS is Back Tournament. The competition is being played in an empty stadium.

Even if it's not til late this year or sometime next year, I'm hopeful they'll let some limited attendance at some point but require masks -- the rare practical use for my soccer scarves, AND maybe it'll weed out the anti-masker conspiracy theorists from sports fandoms.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

FC Cincinnati will stream their games (after tournament) on website for remainder of season, dumping FloFC. Over the air/streaming rights for FCC are up for bid for next season. FloFC was a disaster from the start for both DC and Cincinnati. Glad we finally saw the light and got out.

https://www.fccincinnati.com/post/2020/06/18/local-fcc-broadcasts-stream-free-fccincinnaticom

Signature intentionally left blank

Not sure if this will embed, but the MLS tournament schedule has been released:

I'm excited for some 6 AM soccer! It's like the World Cup all over again.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I desperately want the sport back, but I still think this is ludicrously irresponsible.  Florida is actively hiding the number of infections and deaths they are having right now. Their policies are making the coronavirus much worse, and even what they are forced to admit is bad enough.  Sending athletes and staff into a pandemic hot zone is unconscionable. 

14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I desperately want the sport back, but I still think this is ludicrously irresponsible.  Florida is actively hiding the number of infections and deaths they are having right now. Their policies are making the coronavirus much worse, and even what they are forced to admit is bad enough.  Sending athletes and staff into a pandemic hot zone is unconscionable. 

Not to mention, doesn't it rain all the time in Florida around this time of the year? (Maybe I'm misremembering that?)

I can't believe it either. If I'm the players I'd be fighting this. 

The CPL hasn't officially announced it yet but it sounds like their plan is to go to Charlottetown, PEI. The few cases of Covid that were reported there have recovered and it seems to be a pretty safe place.

What I've heard is that the teams will be testing players and staff prior to leaving their cities and they will only be allowed to go to Charlottetown if they are cleared. Once in the city they'll be living in the dorms at the University of PEI where their "bubble" will be. 

The alternative option is Moncton, NB (which has something like 20 active cases) and the Université de Moncton.

Should hear something official next week 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 hour ago, Jer15 said:

Not to mention, doesn't it rain all the time in Florida around this time of the year? (Maybe I'm misremembering that?)

I can't believe it either. If I'm the players I'd be fighting this. 

The CPL hasn't officially announced it yet but it sounds like their plan is to go to Charlottetown, PEI. The few cases of Covid that were reported there have recovered and it seems to be a pretty safe place.

What I've heard is that the teams will be testing players and staff prior to leaving their cities and they will only be allowed to go to Charlottetown if they are cleared. Once in the city they'll be living in the dorms at the University of PEI where their "bubble" will be. 

The alternative option is Moncton, NB (which has something like 20 active cases) and the Université de Moncton.

Should hear something official next week 

Is Atletico Ottawa still a go for 2020?  

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

Is Atletico Ottawa still a go for 2020?  

Yup,

In fact they announced the signing of Canadian F Malcolm Shaw today. (Not that it's a huge signing, just figured i'd mention it as it was topical to your question) 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

42 minutes ago, Jer15 said:

Yup,

In fact they announced the signing of Canadian F Malcolm Shaw today. (Not that it's a huge signing, just figured i'd mention it as it was topical to your question) 

If there's a silver lining it's that the postponement of CPL's 2020 spring season has given them time to build the team, because I had thought that the announcement of the team followed by the fact that they were playing in Spring of 2020 rather than the fall was too rushed.  

NWSL's version of the Coronavirus Cup is starting today, but few USWNT stars are in. (Looks like most of the non-American star players, e.g. Christine Sinclair and Jess Fishlock for example, are playing though.)

2019 USA Women's World Cup roster at the NWSL Challenge Cup

IN: Crystal Dunn, Abby Dahlkemper, Jessica McDonald, Sam Mewis (NC Courage); Rose Lavelle (Washington Spirit); Kelley O'Hara (Utah Royals); Becky Sauerbrunn, Lindsey Horan, Adrianna Franch (Portland Thorns); Julie Ertz, Alyssa Naeher, Tierna Davidson, Morgan Brian (Chicago Red Stars); Allie Long (OL Reign)

OUT: Megan Rapinoe (OL Reign); Carli Lloyd, Mal Pugh (Sky Blue FC); Alex Morgan, Ashlyn Harris, Ali Krieger, Emily Sonnett (Orlando Pride); Christen Press (Utah Royals); Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns)

https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/06/23/nwsl-challenge-cup-uswnt-players-miss-tournament

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

A Chancery Court judge has ruled that the contract to build a stadium for Major League Soccer's Nashville SC at The Fairgrounds is invalid because the Metro Sports Authority failed to give adequate notice of the public meeting at which said pact was approved.

Judge rules MLS stadium contract invalid, says Metro failed to give proper notice of meeting

I suppose that rectifying the problem could be as simple as the Metro Sports Authority giving the customary five-day notice of a meeting, conducting said session, and once again voting to approve the contract. However, we shall see. 

7 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

A Chancery Court judge has ruled that the contract to build a stadium for Major League Soccer's Nashville SC at The Fairgrounds is invalid because the Metro Sports Authority failed to give adequate notice of the public meeting at which said pact was approved.

Judge rules MLS stadium contract invalid, says Metro failed to give proper notice of meeting

I suppose that rectifying the problem could be as simple as the Metro Sports Authority giving the customary five-day notice of a meeting, conducting said session, and once again voting to approve the contract. However, we shall see. 

Are these guys turning into Inter Miami or NYCFC?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

At least Nissan Stadium is a good alternative than Yankees Stadium. 

True. It's just annoying that teams got in because of potential stadiums that seem to never come to fruition. As much as I hate the Columbus/Austin fiasco at least Plastic Tree FC will have a proper stadium.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

51 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

True. It's just annoying that teams got in because of potential stadiums that seem to never come to fruition. As much as I hate the Columbus/Austin fiasco at least Plastic Tree FC will have a proper stadium.

NYCFC complied perfectly with the MLS stadium requirements.

There is a misconception that the league requires a SSS of expansion clubs.  That's not true, and has never been true.  The league requires teams to have a stadium their owners control, be it a SSS, football stadium, or even baseball stadium.  Once the Yankees came into the ownership group, Yankee Stadium became a viable option.  And other than bad television angles, it's a fine solution for the first decade or so; certainly better than the largest city in America not having a club.

Archived