North American Pro Soccer 2020

Gothamite

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe we still need to wait. The coronapocalypse is coming for pro wrestling (the truest form of art), it's already dropped one soccer team, postponed games for another, and it will likely get worse. I know we like to compare the US to other countries, but that's never a perfect comparison. The US is more susceptible in the long run than places like New Zealand and South Korea, but we have taken the virus less seriously than they have. I would love to watch new soccer and new wrasslin (that has crowds), but I just don't think it's going to work. I fully expect to see this whole tournament cancelled within the first week or so.

I would love for this post to be fear-mongering nonsense and to watch some boys kick a ball around instead, but I just don't see it happening.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight's Orlando setup looks and sounds kind of like an average Houston Dynamo or New England Revolution game. And perhaps even better-attended than a Chivas USA game.

I'm still queasy watching this in the time of coronavirus, but there's a big part of me enjoying the return of a sport and league I really enjoy. I only pray for everyone's health and safety.

EDIT: Of course, as I say this, a player is being carted off on a stretcher. Jesus christ.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

So is that digital Adidas logo on the pitch going to be there the entire tournament? I was okay with the University of Minnesota logo being at midfield when MN United played there before their own stadium opened. The Adidas logo, not so much. 

Hotter Than July > Thriller

6 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

So is that digital Adidas logo on the pitch going to be there the entire tournament? I was okay with the University of Minnesota logo being at midfield when MN United played there before their own stadium opened. The Adidas logo, not so much. 

My guess is, like the new sleeve logos, MLS had to sell as much available ad space as possible to help claw back any possible revenue lost over the past three months.

If it's the price of soccer in my time zone, I'll pay it.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

In the NWSL tournament — interesting that the TV graphics abbreviate Sky Blue as “NJ”. That points to a team with a branding problem, to me. Kind of surprising they haven’t already changed it.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

12 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

has any company ever added a tax or fee for something and then rolled it back? You’re likely paying this price permanently. Just like if ads are worn on MLB jerseys this year, they’re never going away. 

I’m sure most people would accept the ads rather than no sports, but let’s just be sure everyone understands it’s probably permanent - barring some backlash that results in a tangible loss of income to the leagues... and I’m not sure how that’s possible. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Digby said:

In the NWSL tournament — interesting that the TV graphics abbreviate Sky Blue as “NJ”. That points to a team with a branding problem, to me. Kind of surprising they haven’t already changed it.

They renamed themselves New Jersey/New York Sky Blue this offseason. SKY would have been the netter way to display since people keep cutting of NJ/NY.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

has any company ever added a tax or fee for something and then rolled it back? You’re likely paying this price permanently. Just like if ads are worn on MLB jerseys this year, they’re never going away. 

I’m sure most people would accept the ads rather than no sports, but let’s just be sure everyone understands it’s probably permanent - barring some backlash that results in a tangible loss of income to the leagues... and I’m not sure how that’s possible. 

Unless one of those sleeve items moved to the front of the shirt, I'm guessing we'll probably see the MLS shield move to the back of the shirt, like the NBA and MLB. Or they'll start stacking like Liga MX. 

14 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

My guess is, like the new sleeve logos, MLS had to sell as much available ad space as possible to help claw back any possible revenue lost over the past three months.

I really hope FIFA tells them to knock that off. If they're going to do it at least make it some type of green so it looks blended in to the field, like the first MLS game . But seeing as adidas is a big FIFA sponsor, they'll probably pretend it isn't there.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

The overload on CGI ads is pretty gross. Par from the course though for MLS to put short term balance sheet concerns over enhancing the product for viewers.

On that wall, I think it's fine, especially since they show team specific sponsors too. On the field though, it's just trashy.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

One the one hand, it's nice the groups are finally even. On the other, maybe just shut it down.

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Has the NWSL had any issues so far?

One of the teams had to withdraw before the tournament started.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I honestly don't think they did.

They removed "proudly representing New Jersey" from their website in favor of the more direct "based in New Jersey", but I'm not aware they ever have claimed New York.  And with Jersey's governor as majority owner, I doubt they ever will.

For a league that's doing a World Cup-style tournament, I've been kind of surprised by how few matches there are. I suppose a big part of that is losing two participants, but it seems weird that on the Friday of the league returning, there's just one game and we don't have three in a day until Sunday.

It's more probably a more prudent approach that running three games a day, but the wide gulf between starts at 6 a.m. and then again 5 p.m. west coast time feels weird. They're scheduling based on limited contact, limited team numbers and managing summer humidity?

Archived